Telemetry Services Found In Visual Studio 2015 C++

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s not just Windows 10 that calls back to Microsoft; users have found that Visual Studio does it too. A manager has already apologized and provided a workaround.

…coders have expressed concerns that Microsoft appears to be inserting calls to its telemetry service into binaries as they are compiled. Calls to telemetry_main_invoke_trigger and telemetry_main_return_trigger raised a few eyebrows having been found in both debug and release versions of the software. The good news -- maybe -- is that telemetry can be disabled. Over on Reddit, user sammiesdog triggered an active discussion following his discovery. It prompted a response from Steve Carroll, Development Manager for the Visual C++ team, who insists that the inclusion of the telemetry function is entirely innocent.

"this is obviously the programmers fault. Microsoft would never intentionally obfuscate such a link time option. "

just getting it in before the shills start defending.

lol
MS have previous, the court will slay them.
Well earned.

"this is obviously the programmers fault. Microsoft would never intentionally obfuscate such a link time option. "

just getting it in before the shills start defending.

Don't forget the EULA probably allows them to do it, in which case it's the programmer's fault for agreeing to the terms.

I now consider Windows 10 and all current and future Microsoft products a new form of malware called, pushware.

What they're doing with Visual Studio can be quite dangerous if left unchecked. It's already been proven that you can inject back doors into code being compiled.

The Ken Thompson Hack

While I still use Windows for gaming because well, it's the obvious choice for it, but for my every day needs I'll stick to running Linux. I just feel I have more control over what transpires in Linux versus Windows anymore.

So the fix is to just use old software and never update. Then lockdown your firewall, computer, etc enough to try and make up for vulnerabilities within the software.

While I still use Windows for gaming because well, it's the obvious choice for it, but for my every day needs I'll stick to running Linux. I just feel I have more control over what transpires in Linux versus Windows anymore.
Same here. I don't even bother to run antivirus on Windows because I only use it to run Steam and couple other paid games.

Same here. I don't even bother to run antivirus on Windows because I only use it to run Steam and couple other paid games.

Same here, but I want to add another layer to this. I want to do this when i get a new system:

But it will be streaming to a Nvidia Shield TV.

Back