Technology to the Rescue in Haiti

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
PCWorld has an article that looks at how technology is being used to aid rescue efforts in Haiti. From rebuilding the communications infrastructure with satellite terminals to text-based donations, people around the world are leveraging their available technology to help fellow humans in need.

"The Port-au-Prince VSAT (very small aperture terminal) is out of order, the landlines and GSM phone lines are dead. Port-au-Prince Country Office can not be reached anymore even by e-mail or Lotus Notes, as the FoodSat (VSAT satellite unit) is probably damaged," Petry wrote. Trying to reach the WFP station in the capital, he finally was able to get through using HF (high-frequency) radio. HF radio is similar to shortwave.

I hate to say it but, this earthquake might have been the best thing to happen to Haiti. The army sent me to Haiti in the 90s and the quality of life wasn't any better than today. At that time, there were only a handful of UN workers there and nobody took any interest in Haiti (although the violence and poverty was astounding).

It's funny... When the eyes of the world are suddenly concentrated on Haiti, everyone (including high profile companies and politicians) want to help Haiti. When 10+ years ago, Haitians were dying from hunger and extreme violence, nobody cared. ...and when Bush came into office we completely pulled out our humanitarian aid out there. Let's hope that when the media's attention fades, the help to the Haitians doesn't also.

I hate to say it but, this earthquake might have been the best thing to happen to Haiti. The army sent me to Haiti in the 90s and the quality of life wasn't any better than today. At that time, there were only a handful of UN workers there and nobody took any interest in Haiti (although the violence and poverty was astounding).

It's funny... When the eyes of the world are suddenly concentrated on Haiti, everyone (including high profile companies and politicians) want to help Haiti. When 10+ years ago, Haitians were dying from hunger and extreme violence, nobody cared. ...and when Bush came into office we completely pulled out our humanitarian aid out there. Let's hope that when the media's attention fades, the help to the Haitians doesn't also.

To be fair though, they didn't want to learn to fish as the saying goes. Corruption was rampant and nobody over there did anything about it.

We can only help a country for so long until they try our patience and then that's it. You're on your own.

It's a tragedy what happened in Haiti. I hope it'll be a wake up call for them, but I'm not holding my breath.

To be fair though, they didn't want to learn to fish as the saying goes. Corruption was rampant and nobody over there did anything about it.

We can only help a country for so long until they try our patience and then that's it. You're on your own.

It's a tragedy what happened in Haiti. I hope it'll be a wake up call for them, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not exactly sure how viable fishing (literally) is in the area. ...everytime we had to pull security around a shore area, there was nothing but needles and other biomedical waste mixed with the smell of rotting fish. From my understanding, they raped their natural resources early in the 19th century and went into a gradual decline. They basically need a long term investment to rebuild their resources and some major capitol to repeal the state of anarchy that's still running rampant (at least from what we saw in Port-au-Prince). I believe they did try to stop the corruption but, the majority didn't have the resources. When we were there, you'd still see tons of uncovered bones in the "Killing Fields". (some of my associates opted to take macabre pics although I did not) ...and I don't mean just a few.

Most of us kind of felt the same way working out there... We'd give them medical (and other humanitarian) aid and what not. They'd sell off the meds and come back with gangrene and couldn't understand why we'd need to amputate. ...then they'd tell us to go home cause they need money not help. Seeing a machete fight break out in the market area was alway interesting too...

Anyways, I kind of find it funny (in a sad way) that everyone rushes all of a sudden when there's major publicity to be had. You're seeing everyone from major corporations, celebrities and politians jump on this bandwagon to get their name in the media. When the spotlight is off, nobody cares. I guess that says something about the nature of humanity?

Lol Azhar you're the only guy in this forum that I know of that gives consistently intelligent answers. I was gonna say just the same but with much more loaded answer:
It sure feels good to help those in need isn't it? I was wondering have you heard about the news with Blizzards for several days in North Dakota. The whole town stood up to clear the snow and fix their city by themselves. They didn't asked for help from anyone. More so I don't think many here are even aware of what happened.
If you take a look at the recent videos on Haiti, the help that has come is practically doing all the work. You see that most of the people there are not lifting a finger but they complain: Why is help taking so long? That's what happens with third world countries and that's the attitude that keeps them in their state.
I wonder, why is it that most no one cares about their neighbor, just to the West? Cuba has people that actually need help and also are used to standing up for themselves. But most see it as a realized Utopia and just love it by its impressive Touristic resources while suffering intensive attacks of Castroentiritis. Having a short memory span when only 40 years ago he was very willing to blow them and their fathers out of the face of the earth, along with the entire continent.
I'm not saying that all Cubans do the contrary of what Haitians do. But there are many that have nothing to do with the mentality of the rest of Latin America, specially in the South. But I guess is all about fulfilling your messianic and savior self image what is all about. Losing perspective of the reality and realizing that stupid is what stupid does, no matter how you dress it is just very hard to do because then you will loose your identities.
Helping others who can help themselves is one thing. Feeding the ones that parasite you is just a Lose/Lose situation because when you are gone they just hang to the next host.
You may say but these are human beings!!! It's not their fault. Is it not their fault what they have made of their country? Is it not everyone's fault what is happening here now? Just try to set aside your sentiments and think while looking the box from the outside. What needs to be done to fix it? For good.

I'm not exactly sure how viable fishing (literally) is in the area. ...everytime we had to pull security around a shore area, there was nothing but needles and other biomedical waste mixed with the smell of rotting fish. From my understanding, they raped their natural resources early in the 19th century and went into a gradual decline. They basically need a long term investment to rebuild their resources and some major capitol to repeal the state of anarchy that's still running rampant (at least from what we saw in Port-au-Prince). I believe they did try to stop the corruption but, the majority didn't have the resources. When we were there, you'd still see tons of uncovered bones in the "Killing Fields". (some of my associates opted to take macabre pics although I did not) ...and I don't mean just a few.

Most of us kind of felt the same way working out there... We'd give them medical (and other humanitarian) aid and what not. They'd sell off the meds and come back with gangrene and couldn't understand why we'd need to amputate. ...then they'd tell us to go home cause they need money not help. Seeing a machete fight break out in the market area was alway interesting too...

Anyways, I kind of find it funny (in a sad way) that everyone rushes all of a sudden when there's major publicity to be had. You're seeing everyone from major corporations, celebrities and politians jump on this bandwagon to get their name in the media. When the spotlight is off, nobody cares. I guess that says something about the nature of humanity?

I think you are right, but I just have my own version. It says something about the nature of humanity now. Where news travel fast and you're practically there. I still think we humans are not designed to live in this era and we always cheat our systems to try to adjust them to it. Just look around, when was the last time you cooked if you like to. When was the last time you stopped to reflect upon something to do it just once and do it right?

I hate to say it but, ........

Listen to the On the Turning away. The best song they did after Roger left. For me, their best song ever. I'm listening to it right now on Pandora after years without doing it and damn. It's just so right for this.

I agree, quite a tragedy and its a shame to see what happens to a country without strong leadership...generations of decay at a every level (state/social/spiritual) have led them to this point and frankly once this crisis is over and the media pulls out, it will probably go back to the way it was...you cant help a nation that has few resources and no real prospects for improvement.

like so many other island nations the best they can do is fish and grow stuff (in not so large quantities) or be a tourist hub as corporations have long since mined every metal/mineral worth having. these people are just without hope for anything better and with that mindset stuck on so many its very difficult to enact change. makes me glad for where I live but depressed for those not so fortunate.

I agree, quite a tragedy and its a shame to see what happens to a country without strong leadership...generations of decay at a every level (state/social/spiritual) have led them to this point and frankly once this crisis is over and the media pulls out, it will probably go back to the way it was...you cant help a nation that has few resources and no real prospects for improvement.

like so many other island nations the best they can do is fish and grow stuff (in not so large quantities) or be a tourist hub as corporations have long since mined every metal/mineral worth having. these people are just without hope for anything better and with that mindset stuck on so many its very difficult to enact change. makes me glad for where I live but depressed for those not so fortunate.

Or they can do like England did. But for that you'll need the English Kings and Queen and Sir Walter Raleigh ;)

There are times to point fingers but this is not one of them. People are in need. Please help them if can. You can find blame later.

There are times to point fingers but this is not one of them. People are in need. Please help them if can. You can find blame later.

QFT. Who gives a rip about politics in a time of need.

Please read the rest of the comments above. But hey, it's okay there are the thinkers and then there are the feelers. In my personal opinion I rather help the South Korean get rid of Communism or the Cambodians or Somali refugees . Even the Mexican Immigrants but that's just me.

Please read the rest of the comments above. But hey, it's okay there are the thinkers and then there are the feelers. In my personal opinion I rather help the South Korean get rid of Communism or the Cambodians or Somali refugees . Even the Mexican Immigrants but that's just me.

And that's the great thing about being in a free society, everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal choice and course of action.

My only point is that certain critical comments, as correct as they may or may not be, are not particularly useful nor as likely to be received in a positive and useful light at a time like this.

And then there are those that are born in the USA and don't realize how lucky that makes them.

Very well said, nothing is ever done is such large scale until something bad happens. It's sad, but very true.

Now would be the ideal time for critical spotlight to shine down on them before the press finds something else to amuse themselves with. I cringe to imagine all the money and aids coming into the country and the people never seeing a dime of it being put to use as the government rebuild their mansions (which, incidentally was also destroyed in the quake).

Call it tough love, but they need to be criticized now or it'll be too late.

It sure feels good to help those in need isn't it? I was wondering have you heard about the news with Blizzards for several days in North Dakota. The whole town stood up to clear the snow and fix their city by themselves. They didn't asked for help from anyone. More so I don't think many here are even aware of what happened.

To be fair, the people of North Dakota never dealt with a military coup that took power and then killed tens of thousands. A more apt comparison might be to Europe post WWII but, you have to remember that Europe rests on more fertile land and has a good amount of natural resources. Part of the problem in Haiti is that most feel there's nothing to work towards. Most of the damage there will take a lifetime to fix. Just to give an example... Things we think of as necessary for a normal living (like sewer, garbage disposal, electricity, plumbing, etc.) are nearly nonexistent there. It's really hard to grasp the situation until you see human waste flowing in the streets and see the people living in scrap metal shacks.

Very well said, nothing is ever done is such large scale until something bad happens. It's sad, but very true.

Thank ya... Yeah, there's a ton of places in the world that could use some attention but, nobody cares until something happens that nobody can look away from. Maybe it's because we can relate to the disaster or what not but, it's sad that when they were reporting children eating dirt cookies in Haiti there wasn't any drive for donations or help.

Now would be the ideal time for critical spotlight to shine down on them before the press finds something else to amuse themselves with. I cringe to imagine all the money and aids coming into the country and the people never seeing a dime of it being put to use as the government rebuild their mansions (which, incidentally was also destroyed in the quake).

Call it tough love, but they need to be criticized now or it'll be too late.

Yeah... Funny enough, the capitol building is surrounded by slums. That was the only place where you'd see manicured grass and no trash.

From the appearances on TV that I've seen, it seems like the government officials there really don't want the attention. It seems they keep complaining that we came in and took charge and they don't like that much. Maybe that's why we left last time though...

Haiti would make a killing building recycling facilities and making use of all the garbage in their country. Now there's technology they could use.

And that's the great thing about being in a free society, everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal choice and course of action.

My only point is that certain critical comments, as correct as they may or may not be, are not particularly useful nor as likely to be received in a positive and useful light at a time like this.

And that is called being politically correct. Please show me an example of where that has worked.

Thank you.

To be fair, the people of North Dakota never dealt with a military coup that took power and then killed tens of thousands. A more apt comparison might be to Europe post WWII but, you have to remember that Europe rests on more fertile land and has a good amount of natural resources. Part of the problem in Haiti is that most feel there's nothing to work towards. Most of the damage there will take a lifetime to fix. Just to give an example... Things we think of as necessary for a normal living (like sewer, garbage disposal, electricity, plumbing, etc.) are nearly nonexistent there. It's really hard to grasp the situation until you see human waste flowing in the streets and see the people living in scrap metal shacks.

Can you tell me a difference between this and the countries in Africa? Just pour money down a drain. You don't have to give an example of anything I know about scarcity better than you. I also know when you're looking at true disgrace and when you're looking at excuses to be lame, lazy and not using the resources and opportunities that are given to you/ I also know very well what it is wanting to build something up and not being able to because your sunk in an environment of savagery, negligence, corruption and mediocrity. So please don't try to look for excuses. I agree with Azhar. Now, If you can introduce me to some Haitian immigrant I will be glad to salute a fellow islander. Probably someone who came looking for greener pastures instead of staying with the filth and very likely someone who's willing to break his back to get what he wants from life. If not, then I'm not interested.

When the land is deforested and there isn't enough land for the amount of people anyhow, the only thing giving them money does is prolong future suffering. Making a country dependent on aid isn't a charitable thing to do, doesn't matter how you cut it.

Here's a newsflash for 2015, more Haitians will be dying from hunger and disease than 2010, thanks to the charity people give them today.

Can you tell me a difference between this and the countries in Africa? Just pour money down a drain. You don't have to give an example of anything I know about scarcity better than you.

I can't really comment on the situation in Africa. I believe that was more Marine territory and I have no experience with anything out there. Frankly, we don't know each other's background whatsoever. My comment wasn't directed specifically at you (regarding the difficulty of the Haitian situation). I was just conveying that my friends who've stayed in the military and been to various war torn parts of the world still affirm that Haiti is the worst place that they've been. ...and it is human nature to interpret things through our own experiences.

When the land is deforested and there isn't enough land for the amount of people anyhow, the only thing giving them money does is prolong future suffering. Making a country dependent on aid isn't a charitable thing to do, doesn't matter how you cut it.

Here's a newsflash for 2015, more Haitians will be dying from hunger and disease than 2010, thanks to the charity people give them today.

There's a lot of places dependent on our charity. ...some of which are considered pretty well off to begin with.

Anyways, the Haitian situation is more of a breakdown of leadership than complete hopelessness. ...and really, when you get further outside of Port-au-Prince, the standard of living wasn't thaaaat bad. It was very rural but, nothing like Port-au-Prince. They've never had a strong government (in modern times) with goals that wasn't free of corruption. The way in which the current leadership out there is behaving, there might be more of a spotlight and lingering presence that forces a reform though.

Back