Technical Question Regarding Screen Size

elleana

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,590
Hey all,

I'm trying to compare the absolute difference in the size of the image between the Gateway FPD2185W - widescreen 21" - and a regular 21" LCD. The Gateway has a resolution of 1680 x 1050 while a non-widescreen model, say Samsung 214T has a resolution of 1600 x 1200. Doing the math based simply on absolute number of pixels the difference isn't all that great, with approximately 1.76m pixels on the widescreen and 1.92m. I understand dot pitch or pixel pitch has something to do which affects the absolute size, but it's way too technical for me =(

The 'real world' application to my question is I'm trying to decide which monitor to get. In addition to using it as a regular PC monitor I plan to hook up my xbox 360 to it as well. I understand issues people have with the component/composite on the Gateway being washed up, but I have seen it hooked up via VGA and it looks fine to me. My problem boils down to the widescreen aspect of it. If I'm on a 1600 x 1200 monitor I will get a 'letterboxed' image, with black bars on the top and bottom. How will the two images compare - a regular image on the widescreen versus a letterboxed image on the non-widescreen?

Hope I'm not too vague and you guys can help me out. Thanks.
 
The letterboxed image on your 21" standard is going to be smaller than the one on the widscreen. If you have a full screen image then you get more space on the 21" standard thatn on the widescreen. The 21" gateway has the same screen height as an 18" LCD, but it is wider.
 
Back
Top