technet

ar09

Gawd
Can i pay just once $300. download everything they have and then cancel the subscription on technet. how does it work? how long do i have to pay, can you help?

From what I gathered on these forums and a handy thing called search, you have to pay the 300 dollars to start up and then another 200 for every year after that and technically it is for trial and testing. A lot of people say that it is not to be used on gaming machines or grandmas computer but it's a gray line and up to you in the end.

However yes, once you get a subscription than you will have 10 licenses or keys for every piece of software Microsoft has written dating back to I think 3.x, if I remember reading correctly and then you can just let the subscription expire and you still have all of your software as it is licenses to you forever.

The software is only licensed for the duration of the subscription. It is not for installing on your home computers officially. It is for testing and training.

No you can't do that, I mean really you're going to get everything and then get your money back? I think this subject it gets WAY over thought. I've been using MSDN for 13 years (the step up from TechNet but essentially the same idea). This was back in the day when they would actually send you CD's and then DVD's in the mail! That's why the post office is going broke! I mean really they'd send stuff to you every month and then even a couple of times during the month. By the time I went with digitial distrubution, sometime in the 2000 or 01 I think, I must have had damn near 2000 discs sent to me over the years! I know it was over a thousand because I actually counted them when I threw them away. I still have XP and Office 2000 and some other dics in my software kit.

And guess what. Those XP dics STILL work with the keys I got from 8 years ago. And so does everything else. All the licenses I've ever gotten from MSDN STILL WORK!!! Dosen't that tell you something????????

So look, buy the stuff, use the stuff personally, don't sell or give it away, don't use the server products for a live production site or something like that and you'll be fine. That's really all there is to it and people just make this WAY to complicated.

You can't cancel your subscription to get a partial refund if thats what you are getting at. It goes by a yearly basis. You just have an option of renewing it at the end of your cycle. If you don't renew, it'll just end 12 months after you bought it.

sorry. i wasnt thinking about demanding a money return. just cancel the subscription, and keep the os and the keys. can i?

The software is only licensed for the duration of the subscription.

False.

sorry. i wasnt thinking about demanding a money return. just cancel the subscription, and keep the os and the keys. can i?

Yes, but since you already payed, why bother canceling at all? I can see no logical reasoning for doing so.

criccio is correct on both counts. Maybe you're thinking its some type of reoccuring charge yearly or something. It doesn't work like that. You hcriccio is correct on both counts. Maybe you're thinking its some type of reoccurring charge yearly or something. It doesn't work like that. You have to go out and buy it every year so there is no commitment beyond the one year (or years, you can buy MSDN licenses for up to three years I believe) you pay for.

And not to be repetitive but the KEYS DON'T EXPIRE! So whatever the legalese says, this is the way it is. Take it for what it’s worth. Don't make it complicated. Just buy the subscription and enjoy the great value this program offers.
ave to go out and buy it every year so there is no commitment beyond the one year (or years, you can buy MSDN licenses for up to three years I believe) you pay for.

And not to be repetitive, the KEYS DON'T EXPIRE! So whatever the legalees says, this is the way it is. Take it for what its work. Don't make it complicated.

totally wrong

Funny because the licensing agreement on Microsoft's sight goes into how it is not to be used in live environments. Using it as the primary software on your standard machine is against the user license. Standard setup they have on their evaluation software.

Does this stop people from running it on their home machines as well as their friends and families machines? No

Only if you want to continue the subscription, of course. People are making it sound like when you sign up they'll suck your bank account dry forever each year regardless... which of course is not quite true. ;)

dont i have to pay every month?
I have to ask... How many more posts do you have to create instead of just going right to the TechNet webpage and having all of your questions answered? TechNet is a simple, simple concept. In other threads you've started, you keep asking the same questions over and over and over again. Seriously, just take a quick look at the website...all the rules, fees, etc are detailed for you. Then you can decided if you fit the requirements, and if TechNet is for you.

Funny because the licensing agreement on Microsoft's sight goes into how it is not to be used in live environments. Using it as the primary software on your standard machine is against the user license. Standard setup they have on their evaluation software.

Does this stop people from running it on their home machines as well as their friends and families machines? No

That's true, but it's really a separate issue from "The software is only licensed for the duration of the subscription". The software is yours from then on, but with the "testing/evaluation" requirements. Of course........you could be testing the long term performance of an OS.;)

Also make note, you are not supposed to use it in a business situation.

Also/also: There are a number of Technet threads that have covered the full gambit of questions already. Maybe we should have them combined and put in a stickey.

That's true, but it's really a separate issue from "The software is only licensed for the duration of the subscription". The software is yours from then on, but with the "testing/evaluation" requirements. Of course........you could be testing the long term performance of an OS.;)

Also make note, you are not supposed to use it in a business situation.

Also/also: There are a number of Technet threads that have covered the full gambit of questions already. Maybe we should have them combined and put in a stickey.

I know for a fact the volume license technet subscriptions do list it. It is also on the FAQ on their website. I would guess the retail technet subscriptions would say the same in the EULA. They use to mention it on the site.

I have to ask... How many more posts do you have to create instead of just going right to the TechNet webpage and having all of your questions answered? TechNet is a simple, simple concept. In other threads you've started, you keep asking the same questions over and over and over again. Seriously, just take a quick look at the website...all the rules, fees, etc are detailed for you. Then you can decided if you fit the requirements, and if TechNet is for you.

I'm with you here. I have no idea why he keeps asking the same simple questions over and over again. Its like he is ignoring what we tell him then asking again.

troll?

Back