TechNet Licensing

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know of a page that explains how many licenses come with each software package offered on TechNet? From my understanding you get 10 keys w/ 10 activations for each standalone product - Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, etc.

Does this apply to Office and Server OS's & software?

I got the same thing for Windows 7 "type: multipleactivation" does that mean I just keep using the same key till it runs out?

For windows 7, it's ten activations for each key. I heard you can call and get reasonable extensions though. I would guess it's the same for server, judging by the "type: multipleactivation", but you only get 1 key instead of 10.

Honestly, if you have 10 keys, with 10 activations per Windows 7 product, you shouldn't EVER get close to the limits, unless you are GROSSLY violating the terms of the agreement.

It shouldn't matter to you, the OP, how many keys or activations you get for each product. It is for testing and lab environments, not for production.

I thought each key meant it was only for one computer, and the activations allowed you to re-install and change hardware?

So for SErver OS I can use the same license on a few different Virual Machines, even though it's the same key?

See exactly as he stated above... I"m not sure if I should request a new key for another test computer... or just use the same previous key... anyone know for sure?

Honestly, if you have 10 keys, with 10 activations per Windows 7 product, you shouldn't EVER get close to the limits, unless you are GROSSLY violating the terms of the agreement.

It shouldn't matter to you, the OP, how many keys or activations you get for each product. It is for testing and lab environments, not for production.
It does - I just want to know what the restrictions are - hence needing to know how many keys/activations and how it all works - production or not.

And I don't plan to to even come close to the limits to be considered violating any terms of the agreenment.

From what I can gather, it's 10 keys for each version of Windows 7, but the server's are 1 key, but can be installed on multiple computers - up to ten? I've never considered an "activation" to allow me to use it on a seperate computer, and rather required a totally different key.

See exactly as he stated above... I"m not sure if I should request a new key for another test computer... or just use the same previous key... anyone know for sure?

If you're no longer using the OS you installed with the key, then reuse the key. Otherwise use a new key. That's what I'd do anyways.

Back