Tech Bench ground problem

thfx

Limp Gawd
I have a system I built on a top deck tech bench

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TopTechSTD

The problem I have right now is that there is approximately 20V running across anything plugged into the PSU. So I get a jolt if I touch anything metallic (DVDRW, card reader, PSU chassis).

1. Am I supposed to ground the components to earth ground?

2. Do I have a dud power supply? PSU is a new Corsair 620HX.

Anyone have a similar experience?

That's interesting. AFAIK the ground is supposed to come from the 3rd pin in the power cable. Are you sure this isn't just say vibration from the fan?

no, definitely not vibration. measured using a voltmeter. The circuit tester used on the wall outlet shows an open ground situation when I plug the PSU into it. It returns to normal ok status when I unplug the PSU. I originally thought it was a short/ground problem with my house wiring, which is a safety concern. Since I isolated it to the PSU I am thinking it is the culprit. Wish I had a cache of spares to try.

Just trying to make sure I didn't do something wrong. It would seem that the 3rd pin on the PSU is the path to earth ground (using the home electrical ground).

Guess I need to invest in a decent PSU tester.

I have had that happen with a Antec PSU, turned out there was so much dust in the unit it shorted internally.

I have had that happen with a Antec PSU, turned out there was so much dust in the unit it shorted internally.

The OP said this was a brand new PSU.

I haven't a clue as to the problem - this is a new one! Maybe try removing the PSU from the bench (stick it on another surface, preferably non-conductive like glass) and see if this persists?

Brand new PSU's can be shorted internaly too. The way most of them solder the wires in makes me almost cry.

Back