• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

TEC Waterblock for 8800?

L33T

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
364
Ok so I guess the Maze4-1 doesn't fit. Is there anyway to make it fit?

Would the Silverprop Cyclone FusionSLT work? I heard from one person that it doesn't fit -- that you have to make custom pieces to hold it on...

What is everyone else doing?
 
MCW60 is the only non-full coverage block that can fit the 8800s. You need an adapter plate to make it work...

I GUESS you could "TEC" it.
 
would one have to insulate with a tec on the vid, and how would you insulate specifically, cuz this isnt the cpu socket now.
 
Yea you'd have to insulate. Pick up a couple of sheets of that rubbery stuff, and spray the conformal spray and stuff.. maybe some dielectric grease.
 
would one have to insulate with a tec on the vid, and how would you insulate specifically, cuz this isnt the cpu socket now.

Yes, any exposed (and cold) metal from the cold-plate must be insulated. I think the swiftech block comes pre-insulated!

You might need to coat the back of the card with some conformal coating, or at least a bit of foam (depending on how well the TEC cools, as I've never used it).
 
unless you plan on vmodding the card I would not go through all the trouble to add TEC cooling to the block.. you'll hit a stability hard deck with the gpu anywhere from 650 on up to about 700 (especially the GTX cores) even with the extra cooling. These cores just seem to need extra voltage to stablize OCs from 650 on up. Some OC on stock volts better than others tho, as always.
 
Well, I do plan on eventually voltmodding, just not right now -- prolly around the time when the card value decays and the requirements increase by a bit more. For now, its just gonna be a TEC. Why TEC? Because I have a TEC. Because I have a water block that holds a TEC now, so now I might as well. Theres no loss for TEC'g. Beside, the insulation isn't that big of a deal. At school I use a regular heat exchanging system, but at home, I'm working on phase change chillers, so insulation is a necessity: insulation for the CPU, NB, and GPU's.
 
Well apparently you need at least a 226W TEC on it -- that means you need the 50mm TECs... so I guess its time to do that simple TEC mod from that forum.
 
Well apparently you need at least a 226W TEC on it -- that means you need the 50mm TECs... so I guess its time to do that simple TEC mod from that forum.


That's true, the GTX does need more than the 185w TEC on the MCW60.
 
So I guess this comes down to using a 50mm TEC by turning it slightly sideways:

OR

Waiting for the new TEC. Aparantly there's a tip that there's a new TEC water block from Swiftech. Has anyone heard of this rumor, and what is the timeframe?
 
Back
Top