TEC w/Adjustable Voltage (+Min voltage question)

Ok, so I want to TEC cool my X800XTPE.

I'm worried about excess condensation while not gaming with a high-powered TEC.

Is it safe to turn off the TEC (unplug it) while the system is doing mundane tasks? (and of course reduce the clock)

Also, can I somehow rig up a meanwell with an externally adjustable voltage dial? That way, i could turn down the voltage when not gaming (as an alternative to just unpluggin it).

bubblethumper said:
Ok, so I want to TEC cool my X800XTPE.

I'm worried about excess condensation while not gaming with a high-powered TEC.

Is it safe to turn off the TEC (unplug it) while the system is doing mundane tasks? (and of course reduce the clock)
No way! You'll fry your CPU almost as quickly as if you had no heatsink on it.

Also, can I somehow rig up a meanwell with an externally adjustable voltage dial? That way, i could turn down the voltage when not gaming (as an alternative to just unpluggin it).

It's possible. A high-wattage lamp dimmer would work, although it's not very efficient.

Maybe rethink this for 24/7 gaming. Chances are you really don't need to do this for a few more fps

gclg2000 said:
Maybe rethink this for 24/7 gaming. Chances are you really don't need to do this for a few more fps

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I don't want to build a "bench only card"

Serious overkill for a video card... you'd have to condensation-seal the whole card and its socket or else run graphics intensive programs all the time. A dimmer might work but TECs draw heavy amperage...dimmers drop voltage by converting some to heat (near as I recall) so you'd be throwing off major heat... probably more power than most dimmers could handle.

As someone else mentioned, a TEC w/out power would fry anything it's attached to. It would become a very good insulator... reflecting all the heat back at its source.

NoEcho said:
As someone else mentioned, a TEC w/out power would fry anything it's attached to. It would become a very good insulator... reflecting all the heat back at its source.

Exactly what I was wanting to know. Oh well

Back