Having this problem lately with my Asus Ve228h when playing games. Quick google search didn't yield any solutions. Anyone have this problem or can explain why this is happening?
Do you happen to have a SLI setup? What video card(s) are you using? Does it happen in all games or just some games? How are you turning Vsync on?
Turning Vsync on fixes almost all tearing problems... but it can still happen. Some monitors and video cards tear much worse than others. Some games have issues that can cause tearing even with Vsync on.
Running eyefinity, there is constant tearing on my two Asus' however my hpw22 is spared. I just fresh installed so I can only test a couple games right now and they do it, Ut2k4 and Fear, I wasn't having this problem before on DAO or FC2
Vsync OFF:
Turning off Vsync will cause frame rate mismatches and will end up drawing partial frames. This will create tearing on all display technologies.
Vsync ON:
Now you draw full frames. With a CRT your really would never see tearing in this case because the frame overlap will fade to nearly black before you start drawing a new frame.
But LCD images don't fade between frames. They update the screen from the top, working their way down the screen. So if you actually take a picture of the screen (with a camera, frame buffer will give you the whole frame) in the middle of the update. You will have top half of a new frame, bottom half of the old frame and thus Tearing.
I am surprised there aren't more reports of Tearing with LCDs, even with Vsync ON from FPS gamers.
I have seen the very rare tear with vsync on a typical setup, however it seems with eyefinity that more problems arise... perhaps. With vsync off Fear runs very choppy (although a good framerate???) toss it on and i get 100% uptime on tearing on two screens.
I know it's an older game and I'm not going to cry about it, just an interesting problem i thought I'd share.
I had previously read that article, but what I found interesting about my situation is it didn't matter which monitor was hooked to which connection, only the Asus were tearing.
I'll try it out with some newer games today when my DVD drive comes in the mail.