Team Fortress 2: Weird mic problem

JonnyBlazexx

Weaksauce
I'm running vista 64 bit. My microphone works fine in windows programs like audacity, i.e. i can hear myself and record audio just fine. When i go into the options in steam and "test voice" I hear my voice loud and clear. Enter team fortress 2, go to the respective tab and click "test voice" it sounds like im flying in a helicopter: i.e. very choppy and maybe even a bit delayed - pretty much unintelligable. I used to have this problem a while back (the distorted voice over mic) if I alt+tabbed out or for other random reasons. A restart usually solved the problem. Now the problem is persistant and I've tried many ideas but can't get this figured out.

Hoping that someone out in the [H]orde someone has a suggestion?

You could try playing around with some of the console commands for voice.

I was having problems with voice_forcemicrecord at one point

Try playing with the volume? (try lowering it)
I have tried lowering the volume. The thing is is that it works in steam, from the same place that it fails to work once i launch team fortress 2. Once team fortress is running something goes strange...

Hurshai - thank you, any suggestions on where to look up possible console commands for voice? I'll lookup voice_forcemicrecord and see if that helps me.

I have the same OS and the exact same problem. All my settings in Vista are correct. I have tried everything. I don't know what it is. I have an Audigy 2.

So i take it this is an issue specific to Audigy 2 drivers, TF2 (source) and Vista64? Has anyone with Vista64 and an Audigy 2 been able to get proper mic functioning? It's real choppy like I'm talking into a fan. It is a very annoying issue.

Choppy as though it might be clipping and cutting out? Try killing mic boost and make sure your wav input is disabled. Sometimes having what you hear also filtering into your voice can overload it causing it to clip and cut out.

Not sure as I done use Vista or the Audigy 2 :( Worth a looksies though. Also in the drivers for the sound card or the GUI do you have noise reduction options? Might tinker with those as well.

Back