Team Fortress 2 - new weapons, maps, and modes coming soon, details inside!

awesome. That goldrush mode sounds great.

That buff gun for the medic though kinda scares me. An offensive force could buff their whole team and make for a hard-to-stop offensive.

Pff, the game NEEDS some more offensive capabilities, 2 turrets whacked down in a hard to assault area and 90% of the classes become instantly useless.

That buff gun for the medic though kinda scares me. An offensive force could buff their whole team and make for a hard-to-stop offensive.

I figure Valve is going to release some new weapons for some of the other teams to counteract this.

Hopefully.

Sounds like fun, I'm going to have to get back into it. I've been distracted with the countless other games I don't have time to play.

Pff, the game NEEDS some more offensive capabilities, 2 turrets whacked down in a hard to assault area and 90% of the classes become instantly useless.

no, you need better team work.
uber demo can take out 2 sentries no problems. do it all the time.

not to mention a spy coordinating with a team works wonders. sap, then rush. even if the spy is whacked by the engineer and doesn't succeed himself, the offensive has those precious seconds to kill the turrets.j

i have faith in valve to balance it though...i think

Hopefully the sniper gets a non-useless SMG. Something like the medic's gun would be nice.

not to mention a spy coordinating with a team works wonders. sap, then rush. even if the spy is whacked by the engineer and doesn't succeed himself, the offensive has those precious seconds to kill the turrets.j

i have faith in valve to balance it though...i think

ive noticed sapped turrets are MUCH easier to kill as well, even taking away that they are not firing.

ive noticed sapped turrets are MUCH easier to kill as well, even taking away that they are not firing.

Yup, because the sapping charge damages the sentry as well. Sentries really aren't that durable to begin with anyway.

I'm excited for the changes. I trust Valve enough to expect that everything will be pretty balanced and fun to use. New maps and a new game mode will also be great, since the six that we have are starting to get a little old.

Not on a server where no one is smart enough or talented enough to get a medic, get him to uber and then activate it on someone whos not going to just waste it retreating.

Thats the big problem, defending takes no teamwork, anyone can be an engineer and lock down an area with his turret, no ONE person can effectively attack that turret on their own, at least not while the engineer is repairing it. The problem only gets amplified when 2 or more engineers happen to place turrets near each other.

No one individual makes that much difference to the sway of the game, it doesn't matter how many people I plough down as a scout assaulting on the front lines, if no one helps me take advantage of the gap I've just made in the enemies defence then it was all a waste of time.

Even in play testing valve said that it was stalemate too often thats why they added crits and ubers. Defence is just too strong, why do you think so many 2fort games either last 5 hours or end in a stalemate, because defending the flag room is piss easy, and attacking it is insanely hard.

More classes would be capable of helping attack turrets if they hadn't removed the grenades from the game, but nooooooooooo it's easier to just remove something than actually try and balance it.

More classes would be capable of helping attack turrets if they hadn't removed the grenades from the game, but nooooooooooo it's easier to just remove something than actually try and balance it.

How do you know that classes aren't getting grenades back, and Valve took all this extra time to try and balance them? Every class is getting two more weapon options eventually.

Who knows what they are doing at their own HQ.

woah.. +1 .. this sounds like a badass way to improve an already incredible FPS experience!

Thats the big problem, defending takes no teamwork, anyone can be an engineer and lock down an area with his turret, no ONE person can effectively attack that turret on their own, at least not while the engineer is repairing it. The problem only gets amplified when 2 or more engineers happen to place turrets near each other.

No one individual makes that much difference to the sway of the game, it doesn't matter how many people I plough down as a scout assaulting on the front lines, if no one helps me take advantage of the gap I've just made in the enemies defence then it was all a waste of time.

You must play on some bad pubs. I don't play on many pubs but when I do I can see your point. I can keep my sentry healthy and killing without really being opposed but, on the private servers my sentries constantly get sapped, granaded or Heavy/Pyro uber'd down without much effort.

I've seen a great Soldier clear out a teams defenses pretty much solo with 'lucky' crit rockets (x2 Sentries with engies on them)

Good spies are always sapping my equipment I set up and knowing the maps really help to sabotage an engy.

2Fort is a broken map in TF2. It was great in TFC because you could break the Defense with grenades but not so in TF2. 2Fort usually clears out the private servers I play on because it's so broken.

I will agree if your team does not capitalize on your hole it will be filled before anyone can take advantage of it. On the private servers we use teamwork and can really push but on pubs it's like everyone thinks it's Counter-Strike and just goes for kills.

thats really lame. I could take out sentries without a medic and two is cake . I don't want to brag but its the truth . I GOT GAME !!!

You must play on some bad pubs. I don't play on many pubs but when I do I can see your point. I can keep my sentry healthy and killing without really being opposed but, on the private servers my sentries constantly get sapped, granaded or Heavy/Pyro uber'd down without much effort.

I've seen a great Soldier clear out a teams defenses pretty much solo with 'lucky' crit rockets (x2 Sentries with engies on them)

Good spies are always sapping my equipment I set up and knowing the maps really help to sabotage an engy.

2Fort is a broken map in TF2. It was great in TFC because you could break the Defense with grenades but not so in TF2. 2Fort usually clears out the private servers I play on because it's so broken.

I will agree if your team does not capitalize on your hole it will be filled before anyone can take advantage of it. On the private servers we use teamwork and can really push but on pubs it's like everyone thinks it's Counter-Strike and just goes for kills.

WTF 2Fort isn't broken the players you play with just suck ass. That never happens on the server I play on.

It's almost always a stalemate on the private servers I'm on. Even with great teams we push back and fourth but rarely get a cap. I think there were a few 2fort matches that went quickly but it was rare. We usually just sat on that map forever until time expired or everyone left.

It's almost always a stalemate on the private servers I'm on. Even with great teams we push back and fourth but rarely get a cap. I think there were a few 2fort matches that went quickly but it was rare. We usually just sat on that map forever until time expired or everyone left.

Half the maps result in a loss if one team can't move forward, so I don't see this as much of a problem.

I hope they do something to fix voice chat, though...I have no problems with my mic anywhere but in TF2, where people frequently complain of it not working right. I hear other people with what must be the same problem, so it's apparently common.

Half the maps result in a loss if one team can't move forward, so I don't see this as much of a problem.

As I get serious on my TF2 playing (I'm enrolled in a tournament currently) I've noticed that more and more. On certain maps if you don't get the center cap point you are sunk and on your heels the whole time until you can somehow push back. The more experienced the opposing team the harder it is to push back. When TF2 first came out maps went back and fourth constantly but now it's a lot more refined and strategic.

I just hope the new weapons don't kill the feel of the game to keep up with CoD4 and ETQW for unlockable content.

Wait what a new gun thats bs especially since ur stats can be so easy erased. Hell I cleaned my cache regularly and always deletes my stats. Thats kinda lame imo.

I don't miss grenades at all. Good teamwork == break through good defense.

I recently started playing some COD4 multiplayer since I'm bored with TF2 a little bit. Too much nade spamming. Annoying.

You should have to get the majority of your kills in a FPS game by skill, not by blindly throwing nades and getting lucky. my 2c

I am happy they took out the spamerific TFC problem called grenades. They worked great in that game but would not fit in TF2 and I hope they stay out.

TF2 is great just they way it is and these new additions sound fun and I cannot wait.

One person can take out an SG very easily, you have to think of a way to get it down effectively. If the engi is just behind it healing then shoot the floor behind it to kill him and the sg, or wait for a stupid teammate to run in as fodder.

My clan lost a match on Gravel pit just due to the problem that we were defending by time round three came up. Both of our offenses were unstopable (by us and them at least) but our defenses just couldnt make it happen. On maps like well and Grainery the mid point is important and thats why its the biggest area, if your team works together instead of a bunch of vigilante's (spelling?) then you can crush whatever they have set up.

Weird, voice chat works for me, but I wish they would make it easier to mute people in all steam games now like in the older versions. Right click in tab menu and click mute on player...bring that back!

I play on random pubs, I'm sorry but I shouldn't have to spend ages searching around for a "good" server, as long as it pings well and admins keep it cheat free it shouldn't matter what server I pick.

Besides I play a lot and always pick random servers, and this is a continuing trend not just a one off.

I hope they do something to fix voice chat, though...I have no problems with my mic anywhere but in TF2, where people frequently complain of it not working right. I hear other people with what must be the same problem, so it's apparently common.
You might want to try this freeware program. It fixed my problem in getting my mic to bind to line-in 2/mic 2 (I'm using the SB Audigy front panel) which a lot of games force to line-in 1/mic 1.
http://www.muvixer.com/

As long as the game is still balanced and the new weapons aren't overpowered, I think this change could really enhance the gameplay.

Required achievements, whats the point of that?
Especially for a game like TF2 where if it will make a difference everyone is just going to focus on getting that achievement rather than team objective.
I don't even think this game needs new weapons, the game is suprisingly well balanced already classwise.
Did tweaking and adding weapons in CS change anything? No, 90% of the people still use m4a1, Ak47 and AWP.

Did tweaking and adding weapons in CS change anything? No, 90% of the people still use m4a1, Ak47 and AWP.

But all the guns in CS do is shoot bullets. :p

The new additions in TF2 should be a lot more interesting, with implications for teamwork.

I only just recently got into TF2 in the last couple of months, after never really feeling the desire to try it out, and got completely hooked.

I think the new weapons/mode idea is great, however, they should not be available through getting achievements. As someone else said, that sort of goes against the gameplay/method of the game, and everyone will be focusing on trying to unlock things, which will provide a major distraction.

What they could and should do, however, is just make everything available from the get-go, and just put certain limitations on the new weapons, so the situation balances itself. If you have to choose between, for example, giving someone double health, but not being able to uber them at all, that right there already changes the gameplay. No need to make it a pain to even have to make these gameplay decisions (for the player) by making them unlocks on top of it that you have to earn via achievements.

Giving the weapons "pros" and "cons" that have a large enough gap between them will already balance things out, while adding new content to an already excellent and highly enjoyable/addictive FPS.

I only just recently got into TF2 in the last couple of months, after never really feeling the desire to try it out, and got completely hooked.

I think the new weapons/mode idea is great, however, they should not be available through getting achievements. As someone else said, that sort of goes against the gameplay/method of the game, and everyone will be focusing on trying to unlock things, which will provide a major distraction.

What they could and should do, however, is just make everything available from the get-go, and just put certain limitations on the new weapons, so the situation balances itself. If you have to choose between, for example, giving someone double health, but not being able to uber them at all, that right there already changes the gameplay. No need to make it a pain to even have to make these gameplay decisions (for the player) by making them unlocks on top of it that you have to earn via achievements.

Giving the weapons "pros" and "cons" that have a large enough gap between them will already balance things out, while adding new content to an already excellent and highly enjoyable/addictive FPS.

I definitely see your point as valid, but I think one of the main reasons for doing this is to get lost fans back into it or add a higher difficulty/extra things for neew people to try. In which case, the marketing strategy would make them work towards harder goals and play longer for better achievements. Also, making them unlockable will most definitely make it harder, they can make the weapons have different restrictions based on your skill. Plus, if you get sick of the general public you could always join a clan and private server. :)

Just my 2c.

I definitely see your point as valid, but I think one of the main reasons for doing this is to get lost fans back into it or add a higher difficulty/extra things for neew people to try. In which case, the marketing strategy would make them work towards harder goals and play longer for better achievements. Also, making them unlockable will most definitely make it harder, they can make the weapons have different restrictions based on your skill. Plus, if you get sick of the general public you could always join a clan and private server. :)

Just my 2c.

I see it as "Hey, CoD 4 did it, everyone loved it, let's do the same and we'll get even MORE players!"

I don't believe in coincidences and the fact this is announced a few months after CoD 4 and it bites one of it's biggest features makes it obvious.

Still definitely looking forward to it though... I hope achievements will teach the people HOW to play the classes well, since they are going for the achievements and hopefully the achievements have to do with the class like "Heal 10,000 damge".

I just hope the achievements can be accomplished by a single player, there's nothing worse than the achievements that are like: "do this with x# friends on your friends list". What if I have no friends that play TFC?

I just hope the achievements can be accomplished by a single player, there's nothing worse than the achievements that are like: "do this with x# friends on your friends list". What if I have no friends that play TFC?

That is the only achievement I cannot do because I do not have many friends who play TF2. :(
I think, hope, they would do a system that makes you achieve things that are class specific.

Just get everyone in a server to friend themselves to everyone else.

I play on random pubs, I'm sorry but I shouldn't have to spend ages searching around for a "good" server, as long as it pings well and admins keep it cheat free it shouldn't matter what server I pick.

Besides I play a lot and always pick random servers, and this is a continuing trend not just a one off.

I wasn't really trying to pick on you but I have seen the same thing on most pubs I've tried. No one uses any sort of teamwork at all.

Maybe engies now can erect 2 sentries, and 2x teles/exits :D. Maybe even mobile sentries.

Back