Team 33 HP Cloud Free Invite Thread

Your response to this thread is:

• Total voters

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
As many of you know, the private beta of the HP Cloud makes for some awesome free PPD while it's still in beta. I just received the following email from HP:

Hi,

We appreciate your help as we build out HP Cloud Services, increasing functionality and ironing out kinks. Thank you for your help and feedback, we wouldn’t be where we are today without you.

As a trusted beta tester, we’re offering you the opportunity to invite five friends to try out our cloud compute and cloud storage services. Five of your closest friends will be pre-qualified for our private beta and will receive invites immediately. This is your chance to get them priority access to our exclusive, free private beta.

Here’s how you do it.
1. Point your referrals to sign up at http://hpcloud.com/sign_up
2. Instruct them to type“@hpcloud” in the twitter field. We’re accepting referrals until 1/28/12. Forward away!

Thanks for being a loyal Private Beta participant,

Chris J. Anderson MHR
HP Cloud Sales Engineer

Have at it! Be sure to say thanks if you get in.

just signed up, lets see what happens :D

the thanks you asked for <-

I attempted, but some canned email about them letting me know when space opens up.....

The email did mention that I was supposed to only invite 5, so sorry if it's not working for you. Threads like this can disappoint more than they please, so I'll enjoy the thanks before this turns in to a flame war.

I currently have three instances spun up for the [H]orde. I was tempted to set up one as a minecraft server but decided we need the points more.

The email did mention that I was supposed to only invite 5, so sorry if it's not working for you. Threads like this can disappoint more than they please, so I'll enjoy the thanks before this turns in to a flame war.

I currently have three instances spun up for the [H]orde. I was tempted to set up one as a minecraft server but decided we need the points more.

lol shit happens. gotta love when they don't mention things like that... "oh yeah invite anyone you want..."

but only 5 of them..

oh btw you're a lame-o!!! :p (only because you put the option to call you a lame-o lol)

"Welcome to HP Cloud Services Private Beta!" YAY!, I'll have to make some time to get it set up tonight...

And WOW 2TB of data storage....

I got one as well, now to see if I can get this thing folding.

Maybe I could host a server for something on it as well.....

Edit: needs CC info to use? When does the beta end and how much is it after beta?

Too bad I didn't see that guide earlier...I ended up using downloading and using Tunnelier instead.

Gonna use my AmEx just to be safe.

I used a rebate "credit card" worth a flat $20 and it worked. They must just do an authorization for $1 to make sure the card is legit but then never charge it.

Just got in. This looks awesome. I'm currently using the Amazon EC2 "free usage tier" instance, but this is much more powerful. I may move all of my stuff over here, but I'm hesitant until they offer a little more info about what the service will be like after the beta is over.

The OCN guide is super easy, especially if you have used AWS.

BTW CEpeep, I had a reserved t1.micro instance on AWS (same as free usage) and this is much faster per vCPU.

Last edited:
I'm on the last bit and I'm doing something wrong.

root@server-51091:~# cd fah
root@server-51091:~/fah# nohup ./fah6 -smp 4 &
[1] 12341 (I'm not sure where this stuff came from)
root@server-51091:~/fah# nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'

I'm on the last bit and I'm doing something wrong.

root@server-51091:~# cd fah
root@server-51091:~/fah# nohup ./fah6 -smp 4 &
[1] 12341 (I'm not sure where this stuff came from)
root@server-51091:~/fah# nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'

nohup is garbage. I could never get it to work for me.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=1420042&mpage=1#1420042 gives a better suggestion. (also great to follow for using Putty <3 )

use:
Code:
screen ./fah6 -smp 4

Once that is done, do CTRL+A and CTRL+D

Good to go! You type commands like normal now (you can also exit the session and FAH will continue to run), and return back to F@H by typing
Code:
screen -r
(and CTRL+A and CTRL+D for going back again)

I'd also recommend running the "top" command to see if fah is running or not, or if it's utilizing 400% / 800% and such. Ctrl+C to exit this

If you run the Oneiric image (Ubuntu 11.10) it includes a tool called byobu that knocks the socks off screen. Is there some particular reason why people are using the 10.10 image recommended in that eVGA thread? If not, I'd definitely recommend using the 11.10 image or the 10.04 image if you need LTS. 10.10 and 11.04 are outdated and exist mainly for legacy/compatibility purposes. Plus 11.10 just includes more cool toys like byobu.

If you run the Oneiric image (Ubuntu 11.10) it includes a tool called byobu that knocks the socks off screen. Is there some particular reason why people are using the 10.10 image recommended in that eVGA thread? If not, I'd definitely recommend using the 11.10 image or the 10.04 image if you need LTS. 10.10 and 11.04 are outdated and exist mainly for legacy/compatibility purposes. Plus 11.10 just includes more cool toys like byobu.

Bsed on the experiences of the [H]orde - 10.10 has just worked for us - if it ain't broke.....

Bsed on the experiences of the [H]orde - 10.10 has just worked for us - if it ain't broke.....

Ah. Well, I'm doing more than just folding on my instances. The outdated packages on 10.10 are a PITA to deal with, IMO.

If you want byobu on 10.10, you can grab it via PPA: https://launchpad.net/byobu
If you're a heavy screen user, you will love it. If you connect to it with PuTTY, change your function key settings to Xterm R6 so that your F1-F4 keys work.

I'm working on a tutorial for how to use the HP Cloud datastore to back up your private data in case your instance crashes. Should make bootstrapping a new instance a heck of a lot easier, or migrating to a smaller/larger instance/alternate locale.

Back