Teaching a Modding Workshop

Superbad

n00b
Hey everyone.
I am a computer engineering student at the University of South Florida(USF). I have been talking to the other members of our ACM( Association for Computing machinery) student chapter, and I am going to be putting on some modding workshops, for free. We will then be displaying the finished projects at our Engineering EXPO. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should try to cover in teaching first time Modders? We have scavenged up a bunch of the sheet metal casings from old junked computers. That will let people practice cutting on. I was thinking about teaching how to cut windows, sleeve a power supply, maybe some basics on cable hiding, paint/masking the case, and lighting. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Also suggestions as to potential sponsors for materials would be great, I have emailed A.C. Ryan so far, but no response yet.
Bobby

For any important inquiries like sponsorship, you should always call. You will not be taken seriously otherwise, unless you are from a very high-profile organization. Also, you might want to consider the liability issues of working with dangerous equipment. A waiver would save your hides if an accident were to happen.

That said, you could also consider a workshop that teaches Bondo techniques, basic electronics applications, fan installation (hole cutting, fan selection, airflow concepts), or noise reduction techniques.

First post..

That sounds like an awesome idea. Assuming that you won't be teaching how to actually BUILD a rig, but to mod one. I think knowing how to use a dremel is one of the very important things you can teach.

hyobum said:
First post..

That sounds like an awesome idea. Assuming that you won't be teaching how to actually BUILD a rig, but to mod one. I think knowing how to use a dremel is one of the very important things you can teach.
werd

Definitely cover safety issues. Although the dremel is small, having a cutting disk in your eye really hurts.

No doubt. Having a disc fly by your head after trying to use when it's broken gets the adrenaline pumping for sure.

where would this be located? I've always wanted to get into modding but have no experience in the field. Watercooling might be a suggestion? Thats one of the things I want to learn but just way too afraid to try it. Id rather see it done before me, then try to reproduce what I see.

• Rotary Tool: Safety and proper use
  • Body Filler (AKA, Bondo)
  • Painting and Primers (also include adhesion promosion)
  • Working with Aluminum
  • Basic screw sizes and tapping techniques
  • Proper Sanding techniques
  • Basic Welding
  • How to work with LEDs
There's more, I just am out of ideas for now.

One note ... No matter what you are teaching at the time .. try to make sure people understand there are always other methods to do the same thing ..

example -
Dremels are great all around tools and can do amazing things. However there are countless other ways to cut metal. Jigsaw/Scroll saws are something many people have access too and should be well noted. Things like Laser/water/plasma cutting should also be mentioned as options.

Bascily, try to stress the importance of getting creative not only with design, but with how to go about making your vision come true.

This sounds like a pretty awesome idea. Proper sanding techniques and plexi etching are some other ideas in addition to the ones above.

Thanks for the responses, we are located in Tampa, Florida. I am going to place safety very very high on the list. A safer, albeit hand cramping alternative to the dremel is the nibbler ;) I plan on doing a full worklog on the classes and the cases that get assembled. Has anyone been to a class such as this? I guess most of us are self-taught, or we pick-up things from other peoples work. I think mod workshops could benefit alot of the fledgling modders out there.
As for teaching how to build a rig, We ahve talked about teaching a different class to the computer newbies on building a Gaming PC, and then maximizing it's performance, but that does not interest me as much as modding.

I used to use a hand nibbler a lot before I discovered that dremels can do the same thing. You can do very high quality work, albeit very slowly. Some of my old projects really impress me, of course now I have forgotten how much work they were.

I think the bondo technique is a good idea. I see a lot of kids on here make bondo sculptures and even though it makes me laugh, it's bad form.

Well, I think I will try to teach with a nibbler at first, it is always better to have the harder to use tool first, then and only then do you appreciate how nice a motorized tool can make things. Also it is much easier to screw up a project quickly with a dremel. I will teach both, I must admit I have not used bondo on a project before, but I do have a case I am going to mod over holiday break, I guess it will be a learning opportunity. I did talk to Antec and it looks like I might get some love from them in the form of some cases and power supplies :)

I would concentrate on some of the more "practical" mods since this is for engineers and not artists. Airflow theory, fans, sleeved and hidden cabling (improved airflow), and watercooling are practical things. Cutting holes for airflow (safely), adding grilles (safety) and filters (maintenance) are good things as well. Eventually move on to the less practical and more artistic aspects. But this is all just my opinion.

Video taping the sessions or creating .pdf's or some sort of website would be nice to share on the net.

Superbad said:
Thanks for the responses, we are located in Tampa, Florida. I am going to place safety very very high on the list. A safer, albeit hand cramping alternative to the dremel is the nibbler ;) I plan on doing a full worklog on the classes and the cases that get assembled. Has anyone been to a class such as this? I guess most of us are self-taught, or we pick-up things from other peoples work. I think mod workshops could benefit alot of the fledgling modders out there.
As for teaching how to build a rig, We ahve talked about teaching a different class to the computer newbies on building a Gaming PC, and then maximizing it's performance, but that does not interest me as much as modding.
I would say that 90% of the stuff I have learned towards case modding came from working in a body/metal shop so take a look at what they're teaching as it will come up much more often than you might think.

Phranq said:
oooh, maybe I'll go, I'm two hours away over on the right coast.

That would be cool with me. Just don't judge me too critically. I am going totally by feel on teaching this class. I think alot of the results I get will be influenced by the enthusiasm of the attendees, along with my ability to convay ideas to them. I am not just tailoring this class to engineers, but everyone. Personally I think the more artistic the better. I just happen to be a computer engineering student and an old guy at that (I'm 35). I love to teach to people who are interested so hopefully it will work out.

Bobby

Looks like we have at least 2 sponsors on board, which makes me very happy :D So far I need to thank Antec, and Coolermaster for stepping up to help us out. They have been very generous.

Bobby

Update. The first workshop is tonight. I have no clue on what the turnout might be. The campus paper did a story in anticipation of the event. I really must thank the event sponsors Antec, Coolermaster, Nvidia, and Asus. Without their support I could not put the workshops on.
http://www.usforacle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/18/43ce51cd06926

Thanks to the sponsors I am starting out with 8 different cases Antec and Coolermaster, a few power supplies from Antec and Coolermaster, 60 Antec LED lights for the cases, about 30 of them are sound reactive. A few motherboards, CD-RW drives, and a few routers from ASUS, tons of stickers posters, T-shirts, hats, fan grilles, and other swag from all of the sponsors. Their generousity truly overwhelmed me.

Bobby

Watch this space tonight for pictures.

Wow sounds like you got loaded man. Good luck with the workshop, looking forward to the pictures.

carstuff.jpg

How am I going to fit all this in my Element??

thats a very good thing you are doing for people. its always good to see people helping others. all it takes is a little time and effort.

Off the top of my head:

Coolermaster- CMStacker, Centurion, Cavalier, asst UV fans, T-shirts, pens, posters, stickers, and hats.

Antec-Super Lanboy, and 2 other cases whose model names escape me at the moment, there is an ARIA on its way to me, 60 antec case lights, stickers, t-shirts, posters, true blue power supply.

Nvidia Stickers, fans, glowsticks ;), fan grilles, posters, t-shirts, and more stuff I can't remember.

Asus 2 P4 mobo's, 2 mini wireless routers, 2 CD-RW's to mod, Shirts collared and t-shirts, posters, and other stuff.
I also have some cheap cases I picked up off tips from the Hot deals forum here <$10 each, and a few CCFL's I had lying around.

Not shown a 4'x6' sheet of lexan from Home depot, anda 10' roll of aluminum wire mesh..

working at another university here, as tech support for computer classrooms, I have to say that this is a really cool idea that could actually help others understand what kind of skills actually go into this hobby. Playing around with hardware that is usually in the hundreds of dollars with metalworking tools can make the faint-hearted shiver. This is an awesome way to teach others what it takes. I hope you have a great turnout and everything goes well. Post pics of the class in session if you can. I think that would be interesting to see. Good luck to you
:)

edit: speeling

The people who came had a good time, and will be ready to start carving up the cases next week. I separated them into groups and each group has a case to work on, in addition people are welcome to bring their own case and work on it. I am really glad to get more people interested in getting hands on and creating things.

I am not sure of the total number, but it was around 40 people who showed up. Maybe a few more than that. A friend is recording all the contact info for everyone, so I have not seen the final sheet. We had a great time. i just need to offload the pics and I will post them here.

I would like to see more people go out and start teaching these type of workshops. We all know how much help other peoples tutorials and worklogs can help us solve modding problems, but it is nothing compared to a live person helping you out.

The pictures are trickling in.

earlyarrivals.jpg

Early Arrivals

Teaching.jpg

Me Nervous about talking in public.

happyppl.jpg

Happy to have a new case for his team to mod.

Winner1.jpg

Winner of a new Asus Motherboard, and she was very happy about it!

More pics coming soon

The way I am structuring these workshops is as follows. The first night I had people volunteer to be team leaders and we have 6 teams. Each team leader got to pick a case for their team to modify. I kept the Coolermaster Stacker to demonstrate upon as it is nice and roomy. The rest of the people were free to choose whatever team they wanted to be on. Each team is coming up with their own plan for their particular case. People who want to mod their own case were encouraged to bring it in next time. I am going to teach how to cut the case for a window, or if the case already has a window, how to cut blowholes for fans and other ventilation. Each leader is responsibole for bringing the team case to the workshop, so I don't have to :) Well I will have more info after the next event on Wednesday, or when I get more pictures to post.
Bobby

winner2.jpg

Another winner of an Asus motherboard!

Superbad said:
The way I am structuring these workshops is as follows. The first night I had people volunteer to be team leaders and we have 6 teams. Each team leader got to pick a case for their team to modify. I kept the Coolermaster Stacker to demonstrate upon as it is nice and roomy. The rest of the people were free to choose whatever team they wanted to be on. Each team is coming up with their own plan for their particular case. People who want to mod their own case were encouraged to bring it in next time. I am going to teach how to cut the case for a window, or if the case already has a window, how to cut blowholes for fans and other ventilation. Each leader is responsibole for bringing the team case to the workshop, so I don't have to :) Well I will have more info after the next event on Wednesday, or when I get more pictures to post.
Bobby
thats a cool idea... and it looks like it was a full house too... congrats.. :)

btw are u gonna post your own tutorials online or somewhere?... it mite prove useful to those new to the modding community and not just [H]...

keep us posted with the pics of the cases. :)

Back