TDX at the end of a loop?

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
After changing to a NF4 SLI and a X800GTO2, I finally got my chipset waterblock in. The only problem now is with my current tubing length, my CPU TDX waterblock sits at the end of the loop.

So the loop goes Res -> Pump -> Maze 4 GPU -> Maze 4 Chipset -> CPU TDX -> Rad -> Res.

Now I know the general consensus is that loop order doesn't matter, but with a CPU block like the TDX that takes advantage of higher flow rate (since it uses an accelerator plate), will my current loop order hinder the performance? Should I go out, buy some more tubing and resize it so that the order has my TDX block first, then my GPU and chipset block?

coolant has the same flow rate throughout the loop, if it didn't water would be bunching up in some places, and forming a vacuum in others. the only things that count are total restriction of the whole loop and the water temperature. since the water temperature will be so close to the same throughout the loop that it makes no difference, you should just plumb things to minimize sharp bends and tubing length.

Technically, your TDX will perform a little worse at the end of your loop, as your gpu and chipset are putting some heat in the water, but that doesn't make too much of a difference, as the overally water temperature doesn't vary that much anyway, but there is a difference. Don't worry about you loop order, it's fine as it is right now.

I believe Cathar would know best about this. I am a little fuzzy on this property of fluid dynamics however...I believe that the TDX would benefit slightly from being earlier in the loop. Not due to flow or heat, but due to pressure. The pressure drops across each block until it gets to the pump...with the TDX at the front of the loop it would get more pressure and slightly better performance, especially when using the #4 or #5 nozzles.

Although it is late and I am not quite sure I am thinking straight atm.

dosent the temp reach some ambient temp anyways, so no matter where you put it the water will always be the same temp throughout the entire loop?

MattDamen said:
dosent the temp reach some ambient temp anyways, so no matter where you put it the water will always be the same temp throughout the entire loop?
After passing through the rad, assuming the rad is a good one. It will warm up after hitting waterblocks, especially the GPU and CPU ones.

Erasmus354 said:
I believe Cathar would know best about this. I am a little fuzzy on this property of fluid dynamics however...I believe that the TDX would benefit slightly from being earlier in the loop. Not due to flow or heat, but due to pressure. The pressure drops across each block until it gets to the pump...with the TDX at the front of the loop it would get more pressure and slightly better performance, especially when using the #4 or #5 nozzles.

Although it is late and I am not quite sure I am thinking straight atm.

This is what I was wondering about. Right now I'm using nozzle #5 and I'm pretty sure the higher pressure will increase the performance. However at the end of the loop, the pressure would be the lowest due to restrictions in the rest of the loop.

If this is the case, what sort of performance hit should I expect? I'm happy with a 1-2 degree hit (no point draining my loop and cutting new tubing just for that, I'll have to clean it in a few months ayways), but if its something like 5-10 degrees, then I'll take it apart.

Thanks!

Back