TCP/IP Patch Breaks Intenet Connection

senorcarne

n00b
My BitTorrent speeds are incredibly slow. Through research I learned that a way to fix this is to disable the TCP/IP Connection limit Microsoft instituted since XP Service Pack 2 from 10 connections to as many as you want (100-200).
More info here: http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2006/05/15/azureus-torrent-download-speed-tips/
[note: I have Vista 64 and the file on this page does not work for that but there are other websites with Vista 64 patches]

Anyway, the patch installs and everything is fine, but when I reboot my computer to apply the patch I lose internet.

Hovering over the Network status indicator says:

Connection status: unknown
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Can someone please try and help me get my internet back?

They havent got how it works quite right, it can help torrents a little though depending if there was a problem with the number of connections that could be created in a time frame, in the first place.
ie if they are running other file sharing apps etc and the half open connections were always in constant use.

The patch changes the number of half open connections you can have in use at any one time.
This isnt the maximum number of connections but is the number of connections it can try to establish at once.
Increasing this wont allow you to connect to any more torrent users, nor will it speed up the connections but more half open connections will allow you to connect to more people in the same time so it can keep you connected a bit better and quicker.

Changing this setting alone should not break your internet connection.
I use EvID tool and have done so for a long time and have never suffered nor heard of an issue from it.
Your Vista tool may do a lot more though.
Run your tool again and set your half open connections down to somewhere between 8 and 60 and hopefully it will work ok.
Remember to set Azureus to less than this or you might struggle to browse the internet while downloading.

If you are still struggling, you may have somehow damaged your TCP/IP stack/Winsock.
Here are 2 tools I use to fix some problems such as this, winsockxpfix and lspfix.
Those are for XP but use the term Vista as well when you search and you will get other similar queries.

Good luck.

hmm I just thought of something.
I had a similar problem when I disabled ATI Tool once.
I was dismayed to find that it had inserted itself into my IP stack and when disabled, I lost all internet as it was no longer passing traffic.
That blew me away and I havent used it since due to security issues but I have also not heard of anyone else having this problem.
Maybe I had a modified version but you may have too.
Food for thought.

PS its possible that allowing so many connections to be made is overloading your router.
Give it a reboot.

Back