Tax Time upgrades.

dee7976

n00b
Good morning everyone. Needed some help deciding on what I should get for my setup. I'm a long time WoW player and that's my main game I play. But, recently I've been thinking about going 4k and wondered what I would need to play WoW at 4k. My current PC is a 3570k with 8GB ram and s GTX 760. I have a Samsung 4k TV which I use for just about everything. I won't have thousands $$$ but I was thinking about a $800 budget for upgrades. Would a better GPU help out or would I need a new PC all together? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your 3570k is overclocked then it should be fine. If not - overclock. A new cpu won't help much, unless hyperthreading works now in wow - then an upgrade to a used 3770k would probably be the most effective use of funds.
A new gpu, like a gtx 1070 or a 1080 is necessary.

What Koween said. (You can see Kyle's review of the i7 2600k vs i7 7700k for proof)
Your best bet right now is to get a better GPU and run with that instead of upgrading the whole system. Another 8GB Ram wouldn't hurt, either, as a reasonably priced upgrade.

I agree make sure you have the 3570K overclocked it should be able to do 4Ghz easily. You'll see the biggest gain from a 1080GTX unless you want to wait and see what AMD is coming out with but that is later in the year if I'm not mistaken.

8GB more RAM plus a GTX 1080 can be had for $700 or less I'm pretty sure.

If you wanna add a cooling upgrade to get some overclocking done on the 3570K, that should also be doable within your budget of $800.

im with the others i think the 3570k can hold out far as i know 4k will be more demanding on the gpu then cpu, and march is when amd is suppose to release their newest cpu maybe intel prices will drop some if you still want to upgrade the cpu.

1070 is where I would start and then look at ram and cpu last.

I run wow at 3440x1440 on a 1070 and I cap at 90fps and I do not think I have ever seen it drop below that.

It does dip for a second at one spot which is the manhole infront of the horde area in dalaran. I think thats a map glitch thou.

WoW runs just fine on an 8 GB RAM system (see sig) fully maxed in details. Unfortunately, I don't have anything higher than a 1080p monitor just yet (I've not seen the video card use more than 2 GB of the on-board video RAM). System stays between 55 and 100 FPS depending on how many spells are shown on the 'ground' and view depth.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the response and information. I'm actually glad that I don't have to build a whole new rig. I don't mind a 1080gtx which I'm sure I could always sell down the line. Thanks for the advice.

Edit

let me ask, what's a good company i could go with? I do like MSI but wondered if asus, gigabyte or zotac are good. I was about to buy a evga ftw but heard they're having issues?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the response and information. I'm actually glad that I don't have to build a whole new rig. I don't mind a 1080gtx which I'm sure I could always sell down the line. Thanks for the advice.

Edit

let me ask, what's a good company i could go with? I do like MSI but wondered if asus, gigabyte or zotac are good. I was about to buy a evga ftw but heard they're having issues?
EVGA had issues, they were fixed some time ago. Honestly, imo, the different versions of the gpu are really close together and it only matters if you want to wring every last drop of performance and overclock the gpu to the limit. Otherwise, they all perform quite close and if you get one that comes with an aftermarket cooler you should be able to overclock it to nearly the same level as the "super oc extreme amp" editions that cost much more. So, if you don't feel the need for dual bios and similar stuff and just want something that works, get the cheapest evga/asus/msi or whatever.

I'm not sure if a 1080 will be able to max out WoW at 4k@60fps. My sig rig sometimes drops to mid 40's with SLI 980Ti. I do use AA (it's needed on 48" screen) and all the other eye candy, but the new expansion is plenty demanding. Weird for a 12 year old game.

I'm not sure if a 1080 will be able to max out WoW at 4k@60fps. My sig rig sometimes drops to mid 40's with SLI 980Ti. I do use AA (it's needed on 48" screen) and all the other eye candy, but the new expansion is plenty demanding. Weird for a 12 year old game.

The game is not twelve years old..the initial launch is twelve years old. They keep upgrading the graphics demands (and thus their engine) for each new expansion to give you newer and better visuals.

The game is not twelve years old..the initial launch is twelve years old. They keep upgrading the graphics demands (and thus their engine) for each new expansion to give you newer and better visuals.

Not sure how you reason there. The game is 12 years old. It was released in November 2004.
The fact that they add graphical upgrades doesn't change the fact it's a 12+ year old game.
And they don't change the engine every time they release a new expansion. It's an old engine and it shows its age everywhere. Textures are extremely blurry even in new places (not to mention vanilla/early expansion parts). Enter Halls of Valor dungeon which is from Legion and tell me what the textures look like on the floor. And I run everything at max at 4k and even add AA in there. Still looks like something from 2010.
The only thing saving the visuals of the game is the art, not the engine itself. So it's a surprise that the game is so demanding. It's like a 55 year old woman with a shit ton of makeup.

Not sure how you reason there. The game is 12 years old. It was released in November 2004.
The fact that they add graphical upgrades doesn't change the fact it's a 12+ year old game.
And they don't change the engine every time they release a new expansion. It's an old engine and it shows its age everywhere. Textures are extremely blurry even in new places (not to mention vanilla/early expansion parts). Enter Halls of Valor dungeon which is from Legion and tell me what the textures look like on the floor. And I run everything at max at 4k and even add AA in there. Still looks like something from 2010.
The only thing saving the visuals of the game is the art, not the engine itself. So it's a surprise that the game is so demanding. It's like a 55 year old woman with a shit ton of makeup.

You can't be a spring chicken with all that concrete on your face :p

Anyone has a 3570k OC guide?

I'm going 1080 to future proof. I'm sure I should get at least 3-4 years out of it. I'll be playing certain games in 4k like GTA and WoW but I honestly don't want to spend much other than my taxes. I thought about building a new PC but if the 3570k could hold up a little more for the games I play then the 1080 makes sense especially if at that time 3 or 4 years down the line, a way better CPU than Kaby/Ryzen pops up.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Just trying to get the most out of this upgrade and tax.

I will agree with everyone else that your CPU should be fine, especially if you overclock. TBH, as an added thought, you might be able to buy a used 3770k and then sell your 3570k for like $50 less, so in essence getting HT for $50, it could be worth a shot if you are trying to make the rest of your rig last another couple years. If you have air cooling, I would recommend adding a nice CLC like the arctic freezer 120/240 depending on what fits your case, I just put an Arctic freezer 120 on an 8320 rig, and was impressed my the fit, quality, and performance (55c at 4.2ghz after 24hrs prime95). I bet you could sneak under your budget easily: $600 for a 1080, CLC $65-90, swap CPU $50-60, 8gb ddr $50. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

FYI I hate reading about people spending their tax refund. Set your exemptions correctly so you aren't giving the government an interest free loan all year.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Back