Taskbar not working after logging into Windows 10.

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, my task bar doesn't work when first logging into Windows. The start button doesn't work and my sound icon has a red X on it. I have to ctrl alt dlt, sign out, sign back in, in order to get it to work. It's not a major issue, just a bit of an annoyance. I've ran some power shell commands and those don't seem to have fixed the issue.

Has anyone else ran into this before?

You should not ask this sort of things without mentioning which version of Windows you have and what you may have done to cause the issue.

Sounds like a corrupt Windows install, better do a reinstall.

You should not ask this sort of things without mentioning which version of Windows you have and what you may have done to cause the issue.

Sounds like a corrupt Windows install, better do a reinstall.
Windows 10 is in the title.

I haven't done anything to cause this issue. It just started happening one day.

I had a similar problem after applying the fall creators update..

blah blah blah... the fix for me was to go::: Start>settings > Accounts > sign-in options > turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart

taskbar.png

I'm having the issue intermittently after the fall creators update. For me, it seems reasonably rare when starting up and can generally be solved with a shutdown and power up or also a sign out and sign back in. The turn off sign in info trick didn't work for me, but it does seem to work for others and is worth a shot. Just curious, what antivirus are folks using that are having the problem?

Last edited:
I also have had the same issue with W10 Fall Creator's Update, both after an upgrade install, and also after fresh installs on 2 different machines. Reinstalling from scratch did not fix it in any of these cases. In all cases, the issue eventually stopped happening on it's own - but it took a few days.

edit: only using Windows Defender

blah blah blah... the fix for me was to go::: Start>settings > Accounts > sign-in options > turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart

View attachment 51105
Awesome, i'll try this and update later if it worked.

I'm just using Windows Defender as well.

Have the same issue with start menu, are you overclocking?

I will be able to use the start menu for a short period of time after every boot, then it becomes irresponsive.

I have it narrowed down to stability. I can lower my dram voltage or try and tighten timings and it happens Everytime. I raise the voltage or lower timings and it goes away.

Tried the power shell thing and it doesn't seem corrupted

Only windows defender here

Last edited:

View attachment 51105
This worked. Haven't had the issue since.

Have the same issue with start menu, are you overclocking?

I will be able to use the start menu for a short period of time after every boot, then it becomes irresponsive.

I have it narrowed down to stability. I can lower my dram voltage or try and tighten timings and it happens Everytime. I raise the voltage or lower timings and it goes away.

Tried the power shell thing and it doesn't seem corrupted

Only windows defender here

Have you tried atarione's fix?

wow I was about to make the same post, being having this same problem for at least a week or two, at least 30% of the time when I boot up.. will try atarione's fix when I get back home tonight!

Have you tried atarione's fix?

No since it's fixed currently with raised ram voltage.

I did see a post on Reddit about freezing after fall creators update. 2 fixes were saying setting turn off HD to never also fixed it for some also, mine is currently set to turn off HD after 20mins

2nd was unchecking turn on fast startup. This has more to do with AMD cpu afaik

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180126-160810.png
    Screenshot_20180126-160810.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I had this issue when I upgraded to a Coffee Lake setup. The Sign-In automatically thing seemed to mostly work, although one of the more recent Windows Update patches seemed to also fix it for my setup. I've only had it happen once in the last month, so I'll call that "fixed enough." Another temporary fix was to CTRL+ALT+DEL and logout/log back in.

Yeah I have this issue on occasion, but I almost never notice it till I am about to power off for the night. Usually a reboot fixes it for me so I can ctrl+alt+delete and select restart and when I get back to windows everything is working normally again. I really don't know what causes it but it does seem to happen eventually over time for me but not every day.

When 10 first came out I occasionally had this weird issue where the Start Menu wouldn't pop up or if it did it was only like half there. Hasn't happened in a long time but I always felt it was related to graphics drivers since the 10 UI is so dependent on GPU acceleration now days.

But it sounds like maybe something starting up is causing a hang. Go into Task Manager and startup tab then disable everything starting up with Windows. Also make sure you have the latest GPU drivers.

But it sounds like maybe something starting up is causing a hang. Go into Task Manager and startup tab then disable everything starting up with Windows. Also make sure you have the latest GPU drivers.

I see this issue from time to time on my sig rig right after a reboot but if I wait a few minutes after rebooting before logging in it never happens, and like others have mentioned log out and back in and no issue. I think what you're correct in that it's some sort of startup thing that takes a while to startup and then there's no problem but doesn't really explain how logging out and in bypasses the problem.

On my system the hang-up seemed to be related to some kind of plug-&-play functionality. I started killing processes and that was what the holdup was. Logging out was just as quick as finding and killing the process, because of course it was buried a bit.

Back