Task manager shows high usage

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
Task manager is showing high CPU usage on the main screen (50%+) at almost all times, but no single process is showing the usage. I'm running Process Explorer, and it is showing 98-99% on system Idle Process (what I expect). Is there a bug in Task Manager, or is something else going on?

I guess you missed the part where he mentioned he already used that.

My guess is that there's a driver playing up causing the high CPU usage that isn't attributed to any one process. Not sure why the disparity between the task manager and Process Explorer.

I recommend a virus scan also, not going to hurt anything, might pick up something if it is hiding.

Ok. MSE and MalwareBytes both come back clean, and it's still doing it. There's been a lot of Flash and Java games played on it recently. Anything there, maybe?

Task manager is showing high CPU usage on the main screen (50%+) at almost all times, but no single process is showing the usage. I'm running Process Explorer, and it is showing 98-99% on system Idle Process (what I expect). Is there a bug in Task Manager, or is something else going on?

A "high" System Idle Process, is exactly what you want...you're thinking/reading it wrong. This high percentage means that your machine is mostly idle. The is no way you can have this at 95 - 99 %, and have any other process at 50%. I think you need to rethink or restate your problem.

EDIT: Just saw your (what i expect) comment........so never mind about my post. sry. Task Manger AND Process Explorer agree w/ each other on my Windows 7 machine, so I don't know about your problem.

Last edited:
Back