Task Manager and User Displays?

netdale

Weaksauce
Ok, so this is odd, I have a highly tweaked XP install here however I one main issue. When I go to the task manager I cannot see what users ran the applications. Its a one user system with just about everything disabled or manually set. Ideas??

Here is a screenshot.......
http://dale.weavweb.net/hardforum/taskmanager.jpg

Thanks Dale

In task manager, while your under the processes tab, go to View > Select Columns. Make sure user name is checked.

OK, so you disabled a bunch of stuff thinking it's going to make your system faster. In reality, you have no clue what you have disabled and have likely not increased performance. Go turn all that shit back on, and let us know what happens.

So did you use that site as a tweak guide?

I have used many sites such as that for guides.......however the services I have disabled are based on knowledge and reading and understanding. I'm not some crazy punk trying to waste your time---I've attempted turning services that I felt affected the user-logon 'system' however none do the trick. Ideas?

Thanks Dale

netdale said:
I have used many sites such as that for guides.......however the services I have disabled are based on knowledge and reading and understanding. I'm not some crazy punk trying to waste your time---I've attempted turning services that I felt affected the user-logon 'system' however none do the trick. Ideas?

Thanks Dale
Calm down... No one is accusing you of trying to waste our time, or being a crazy punk. Reality, however, you don't know what you changed, or you wouldn't be asking the question. The problem is a *likely* a result of tweaking...

So, back to the issue, reset all services to manual or automatic. Not the ones you 'feel' affect this, do them one by one, if you really want to preserve things. However I would reboot inbetween changes, because if your service isn't starting because a dependant service isn't started, just starting the one service you change may not reflect everthing. Get started. :p

Yup yup, did all that --- activated everything back to default and things magically are back in order....

I've tried enabling ( and then rebooting ) with the following 2 services set to auto yet to no avail

Security Accounts
Secondary Login

Thanks Dale

I have the same probem exactly, no users listed in the "user name" column of the "processes" tab of the Windows Task Manager. Also, there are no entries in the "user" column of the "users" tab. I have not done any extensive registry tweaking, and am running windows XPpro.

I noticed this recently, the last time i was in the task manager was a few days ago, when it looked normal.

I tried clearing the Task Managers preferences key in the registry, no improvement. I tried checking and unchecking the "user name" column, no improvement. I have no significant errors in the system logs. I ran "sfc /scannow", no errors found.

So, you're not alone, netdale! I look forward to any suggestions this group might have.

Thanks, astra.

PS. A Win2K article suggestion it might have to do with permissions that my accout has (it is an administrator account), but i didn't see any way in services/users to view or modify permissions, so perhaps that's not an XP thing?

from what research and testing I have done it has something to do w/ XP services

Try defaulting everything and the users come back...............yet I havent tracked down the individual service at fault!

Dale

Hi NetDale... thanks for the lead.

You're right, it's a service thing, specifically "Terminal Services". Turn it on, and the names appear! I don't know, in retrospect, how important it is THAT they appear, but I'm happy to know what it is, that it's not a virus, and that it's within my control.

All best, astra.

netdale said:
from what research and testing I have done it has something to do w/ XP services

Try defaulting everything and the users come back...............yet I havent tracked down the individual service at fault!

Dale

astragal said:
You're right, it's a service thing, specifically "Terminal Services". Turn it on, and the names appear! I don't know, in retrospect, how important it is THAT they appear, but I'm happy to know what it is, that it's not a virus, and that it's within my control.

I'm not sure it's worth it to have TS running just for the names there in Task Manager. Paranoid as I am, it's still a security risk to be considered.

Back