Target Shuts Down Its Video Streaming Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Target is shutting down Target Ticket. Insert your own "tens of customers will be affected" jokes here.

The service offered all of the expected services that streaming video services have these days: licensed TV content and movies, including current TV shows available the day after airing. It didn’t charge subscription fees, and digital rentals were competitively priced with other similar services. Target store customers customers could earn free movie codes by shopping, and users could also access their UltraViolet libraries through the service.

Count me in as someone who didn't know it existed. Even the article's headline hinted at the author not knowing either.

And yet another one chiming in here that didn't know this service even existed. And yeah, the title of the article is indeed hilarious. "Target Shuts Down Their Video Streaming Service That Apparently Exists." Ha I was like "oh snap dude, you didn't know either huh?" I think at this point it'll be news to find someone who DID know that it existed.

Its a service they basically only avertized via spam. Big shock it failed?

5394-dafuq.jpg

since when?

Aww man, sad top hear. I used this all the time. Way better selection than my Prime and Netflix combined.

Actually, never knew this even existed.

I saw an ad for this "Target Ticket Service" in their Electronics section and asked the guy behind the counter about it:

"Ah, well, it, um... *blink* It's expensive and I hate it"

His response is the only reason I even recall this existed.

The only people likely to know about Target Ticket are:
- ppl that still buy Blu Ray discs and have UV digital copies
- ppl that use Roku set top boxes, Target Ticket had a channel on Roku for a couple of years- but it never worked.

I guess that makes me the sixteenth person in this thread to explicitly state having never heard of this before. No wonder why it's being shut down.

On Ultraviolet, that's another joke. Controlled by the industry and being pushed on everyone purchasing a Blu-ray, the last I heard was that the conversion factor was only around 10-15%. Only reason it's still around is the industry is behind it and it is one of the excuses used to keep the price of Blu-ray movies high.

I knew about the UV type stuff on Target Ticket, since I had to register an account to get "The Walking Dead - Season 4" to work. But then I just watched it with Vudu, since it's available on my SmartTV. :)

I knew about it, but since it looked crappy, I never used it.

Yes, I like it there. It is like walmart but everyone is actually clothed and the employees aren't a hair away from snapping.

This. Organized, cleaner stores, and staff that is helpful. And they actually price match. Some items are even cheaper.

Never heard of this service though. Looks like they flopped in Canada and are going to shut down over 100 stores to.

Yes, I like it there. It is like walmart but everyone is actually clothed and the employees aren't a hair away from snapping.

Target has employees besides the ones at the check-out registers?

Pretty much any time I go in there, there are no employees anywhere except at the registers.

This is at both the Targets that are local to me.

The last good experience I had with them concerning actual customer service was 2 years ago on black friday. Went in after everything had died down and got the TV I wanted. Still took them about 20 minutes to bring one from the back, but at least there were people working there that day.

Target has employees besides the ones at the check-out registers?

Pretty much any time I go in there, there are no employees anywhere except at the registers.

This is at both the Targets that are local to me.

The last good experience I had with them concerning actual customer service was 2 years ago on black friday. Went in after everything had died down and got the TV I wanted. Still took them about 20 minutes to bring one from the back, but at least there were people working there that day.
It's the opposite at my local Target. You see staff everywhere except the registers. They will usually only have one register open even during the busy parts of the day. Conversely if I go to the one a few miles away it is more than adequately staffed in all areas. It's highly dependent on the management of the particular store.

Guess I can remove it from my Roku. Only reason I added the app was because we got a free $5 rental when the wife went shopping. Unfortunately, almost nothing is available for $5 so we never used it....

Checked-out the features of the service once, never used it.

When I signed up, I got a few free movies for Vudu/UV. I think it was 10 free movies? Well worth it. I don't think I bought anything through them, though. I only get the free ones through them and WB Insiders program and from buying Blu-rays.

Seemed like a redundant service that didn't offer anything special. Nothing to differentiate from anyone else.

First I've heard of it. I'm also Canadian though, and Target kind of pooped their pants up here before getting going. Never seen a store fail so bad as Target did in Canada.

Maybe now that everyone knows about the service that no one new about they should keep the service open. :)

Back