Tape or Hard Drive Backup

sondo2121

Gawd
I just recently configured a new RAID 5EE array and transferred my data to it. I still need to keep backups of that, I have around 3.5TB right now, and I would like to get ideas on a backup solution. What is everybody's thoughts on software / hardware to use?

I have about 1-2TB of data I'd like to keep constant weekly backups of from my total amount of data

Current Options:
  1. Tape Drive (Need recommendations)
  2. Burn Some DVD's (but takes too long and is too user-involved for a backup sol., but an idea)
  3. External / Extra HDD configuration

I'm running Server 2003 Enterprise. What good backup (preferably free) software solutions are there to control the backups. I have a copy of BackupExec from Symantec, but have not used it yet.

Thanks in advance.

tape personally, no moving parts like an HD the data is on really.

for server not sure on the best "free" solutions and not sure i would trust many free solutions with that much data.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I guess I'd be able to spend some on a backup solution....

How much are you willing to spend? Asking for free backup software seems to imply that you don't have a very large budget - in which case a bunch of hard drives might be cheaper for the capacity.

I probably would like to spend $800 or less. I heard tape backup drives can get expensive, and I'd have to have a bunch of tapes also. I don't know if that would be a good investment when I can copy to Externals or other RAIDed HDDs.

I'd buy a 5 disk enclosure, and just slam it full of 640Gbs or 750s, or 1k harddrives, and backup away.

Ive been using syncback and it works great it syncs files with another hdd on my debian box running samba. i'd sooner build a cheap system with 3 tb's for less than $800.

both....
The optimal solution is a raid 5 array on a cheap controller on a lower end AMD system, back up to system to the computer then backup to tape from there.
That gives you nearline and offline storage.

You not going to do that much data for $800 to tape.
Your looking at 5 times that at a min.

Back