• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tape drive & controller decisions, HELP!

sykotic

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
154
Ok, I need to find a tape backup solution for a server with roughly 400gb of data and it's growing. I think a LTO3 400/800gb will suit us just fine. I have pretty much decided on the HP Q1538A drive. It is an Ultra320 drive, 68pin LVD.

Now, what friggin controller card do I get?! I currently have an Adaptec 2120S Raid controller card. I don't think I can use a raid controller for a tape drive though can I?

Another question, on the 2120s I currently have it using a point to point unterminated cable(1 device cable) plugged into a 5-bay SCA hot swap enclosure, if I wanted to add another 5bay hot swap enclosure, could I order a 2 device cable and just plug it in and go? My reasoning for thinking I can't is that the backplane of the hotswap enclosures are self-terminating, so both enclosures would be terminating on the same cable, would this pose an issue?

1 more question and it's the last one I promise, can I plug in an external enclosure with a couple hard drives to the external connector of this card and have it still manage both internal and external drives? It is a single channel card.
 
1) What controller: Something LSI and cheap. Dual-channel if you want it to do internal and external at the same time. I am vastly unimpressed by Adaptec in recent years. If the drive is going to be internal, it might work on the existing controller, but it might not. It'd have to go before the hotswap enclosure on the cable.

2) Does the enclosure have an external plug-on terminator? I don't know enough specifics about scsi to recommend something if it doesn't, but if it does, you should be able to daisy-chain more devices on from there (remove terminator, plug cable in there, cable to next enclosure).

3) No. That's a single-channel card. The LSI22320-R ($200) would be a dual-channel replacement. A 320-2 would do the raid for that enclosure, as well, for $400.
 
Back
Top