• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tape Backup - What to use?

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
2FA
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
13,377
Backing up 3TB is going to be a bitch, but after losing 1.5TB to a failed RAID array... Well, it's a pain in the butt to restore. Nothing critical, but downloading at 100KB/s sure is significantly slower than transfering from tape, even at 20MB/s.

My requirements are somewhat odd. I'd like, first off, a SATA tape drive. Failing that, SCSI is doable, provided I can mount the tape drive over a network and back it up that way. I'd also like the drive to fit in a single 5.25" bay. I'd like for it to be cheap, and the cartridges to be readily buyable at stores like CompUSA/Best Buy/Circuit City/Office Max/Staples/etc. And finally, I'm looking for a tape with a LARGE capacity. I've already got a 12/24GB tape drive (no tapes, though :( ) and was hoping for something closer to 100-500GB. The larger, the better. The faster, the better.

Can anyone provide me with a recommendation?

Edit: Jebus, looking at Dell's pricing for tape drives... $1500 for the drive and $50/200GB tape... It's cheaper to build another NFS.
 
Yeah, tape is pretty expensive compared to hard drives these days. This is unfortunate, since tape is a better medium for backing up in most cases. Like you said, building another server is probably just as expensive as tape, and a good deal faster.

 
just build another small server with 5 x 750 gb seagate drives. would only cost ~4 grand and u'll get 40-50 MB/s over gigabit network
 
mjz_5 said:
just build another small server with 5 x 750 gb seagate drives. would only cost ~4 grand and u'll get 40-50 MB/s over gigabit network
Or one with 8*320GB drives for $1600.
 
mjz_5 said:
thats one cheap 8 port sata raid card
Meh, $250 or so still leaves $250 for a cheapo P3/PCI-X setup. Plenty of money and plenty of power for a NFS.
 
NFS = network file system, mostly linux-only. I think you mean NAS = network attached storage.

Yeah, I'd go with the p3/pci-x setup. Cheap, and plenty fast for STR-based apps like backup.

 
unhappy_mage said:
NFS = network file system, mostly linux-only. I think you mean NAS = network attached storage.
Hmm. Okay, my terminology was mixed up. I thought it was Network File Server. My bad :D
 
Back
Top