Talking On Phone While Walking = Bad

i dont get how this is funny... there weren't and clear signs there was a hole there or anything. As much as I'm willing to point the finger at stupid people doing stupid things, I don't see any real thing she did wrong, or reasonably could have been expected to do to avoid the situation

i dont get how this is funny... there weren't and clear signs there was a hole there or anything. As much as I'm willing to point the finger at stupid people doing stupid things, I don't see any real thing she did wrong, or reasonably could have been expected to do to avoid the situation

I think those of us who laughed, did so as in a "ouch/wtf" manner. Kinda like seeing someone take a baseball to the junk, you feel for the person but you can't help but laugh a little.

I doubt anyone was laughing in a "she had it coming" (txting ignorance) way. As she clearly couldn't have seen that coming.

Sorry but when you walk past a sign that says WARNING. SINK HOLE DANGER. STAY OFF SIDEWALK. and you just walk right past it and into the sink hole, yes that is user error.

I must be missing it? Where do you see this sign?

Sorry man, gonna have to disagree with ya on that. Phone or not, she would have fallen not matter what because the sidewalk collapsed under her. Watched it a few times and I dont even see anything that says construction zone or anything

The
Two
Fucking
Cones
"what the fuck is this material it looks different from normal sidewalk maybe I shouldn't walk in it"
Fuck.

The
Two
Fucking
Cones
"what the fuck is this material it looks different from normal sidewalk maybe I shouldn't walk in it"
Fuck.

erm... That zigzag pattern is a road, and the 'cones' are actually concrete pillars marking the boundaries on either side.

You are going based on just the video. The full article I read about this, you know those things that have words and tell a story. Well, the article about this story stated that she walked past caution signs in regards to the sink holes.

I'm going based on what was posted and linked to, which did not include an accompanying story.

The
Two
Fucking
Cones
Fuck.

What
Fucking
Cones?!

Oh, you mean those gray things marking both sides of the driveway she was crossing before the cave in?
Fuck.

In communist China, sidewalk walks on you!

I actually found this comment funnier than that video. That clip just looked painful.

Steve posting links out of context, that's the true hilarity of this situation.

Reminded me of this for some reason:

"Yea, where's this go now?"
"Down!"
"Lo pan is down there."
"Down where?"
"Towards the universe."
"Come on Jack, don't be afraid."
"Afraid? Are you kidding?"

Poor girl looked very scared though.

I don't think it would have ended any better for her if she wasn't using the phone. ;)

Considering this is China, I'm more impressed that the taxi driver stopped.

People in China will just walk by someone dying.

I have spent some time in China, it is definitely a different mindset. They kind of see it as there are so many of them a few lost isn't as big of a deal.

"If you want to make an omelete, you gotta break some eggs." - Tyler Durden.

Guys. I think that it being blamed on the cell phone is a joke. Har har. Like a scapegoat, if something bad happens and you were using your cell phone, then that must be to blame.

In America she'd sue for millions and win.

Men saves woman... then sue her

http://jalopnik.com/5826902/men-save-woman-from-this-burning-car-then-sue-her

Woman crashes car, sues person who got her out of it.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1

The court ruled 4-3 that only those administering medical care have legal immunity, but not those like Torti, who merely take rescue action. The justices said that the perceived danger to Van Horn in the wrecked car was not "medical."

In every instructional video i've watched dealing with falls or concussions. The proper thing to do is... nothing. Call 911 but don't do anything else. The instructions does go on about how victims are positioned and extraction, but it's only done by paramedics, and doesn't change the fact that the relevant parts stop at right at the beginning where the instructor always say "Do not move the victim". If you do, you'll get sued.

In every instructional video i've watched dealing with falls or concussions. The proper thing to do is... nothing. Call 911 but don't do anything else. The instructions does go on about how victims are positioned and extraction, but it's only done by paramedics, and doesn't change the fact that the relevant parts stop at right at the beginning where the instructor always say "Do not move the victim". If you do, you'll get sued.

This is why we have some protection for "Good Samaritans" and suing them for doing what can be easily perceived as saving your life is just silly.

Here's a link to the source story with a little more info [URL="http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_bn3#/video/offbeat/2012/04/24/tsr-pkg-moos-sinkholes.cnn"[/URL] I don't understand why they couldn't block that section of sidewalk off instead of placing 2 little sidewalk colored cones there.

This had a much better outcome than that child who got hit by cars repeatedly while pedestrians watched: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-toddler-run-over-in-street-and-ignored-dies/

I recommend you do not watch the video. I don't know why ABC News decided a video of a 2 year old being killed was worthy of being hosted.

That is a terrible trajedy to ignore something so important. But the video does not show the impact (they edit it out) and you never actually see anybody hit the child. Terrible video, but just letting you know you don't actually see anything happen, all implied.

In America she'd sue for millions and win.

Because they can't sue for millions in China...

I don't understand why they couldn't block that section of sidewalk off instead of placing 2 little sidewalk colored cones there.

...is the reason they only had 2 little sidewalk colored cones there.

I think it's a bit ironic they put a hardhat on her to climb out with. If falling 20ft didn't hurt her she's probably OK climbing a ladder.

You guys are all looking at this wrong...that was a designed in cell phone coverage hole!

You guys are weird....

1. phone or not, anyone would basically have fallen into the hidden trap
2. some of you seem to be serious about the "low build quality" of the sidewalk. It's a sidewalk ffs. It doesn't need rebar or to be a 6" slab of concrete.

Pedobear trap?

How the heck does a sidewalk fall in like that? Was it made in china?
Other then yes it was made in china? :p
It could be a water pipe been slowly leaking for quite awhile taking bit by bit of earth away causing the hole to form.

you really laughed at this? :rolleyes:
Yes, I literally laughed out loud. The burst of endorphin is really going to supercharge my day. THANKS STEVE!

My favorite is texting man almost walks into bear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKlXl76Wy4
I would say in order of funniest to not as funny:
1. Texting Women in Mall
2. Women in Bar Stairs
3. Women captured by the news falling down stairs outside
4. Man walks into bear
5. This asian chic (still frakking funny though)

Sorry but when you walk past a sign that says WARNING. SINK HOLE DANGER. STAY OFF SIDEWALK. and you just walk right past it and into the sink hole, yes that is user error.

You are going based on just the video. The full article I read about this, you know those things that have words and tell a story. Well, the article about this story stated that she walked past caution signs in regards to the sink holes.

I'm going based on what was posted and linked to, which did not include an accompanying story.

[H] users dont even read the source article let alone research beyond a video that was posted. Otherwise, how else can you have misinformed kneejerk reactions to Steve's sensationalist headlines? People typically fail at research.

Guys. I think that it being blamed on the cell phone is a joke. Har har. Like a scapegoat, if something bad happens and you were using your cell phone, then that must be to blame.
That's what I was thinking as well. But then again, I thought a bit.

If you fall in a hole in China, where do you end up?

I laughed at this. I dunno why. But it just hit my funny bone. People are looking at me at work, like what is so frakking funny to that guy? haha

Also, the first two people who ran to help her... wtf where they thinking if they actually were? I wouldn't run right up to the edge of a sinkhole immediately after watching someone fall through it. I was expecting this to be a m-m-m-mm-m-mmonster kill due to people falling in on after the other.

Steve posting links out of context, that's the true hilarity of this situation.

Your inability to read = me posting "out of context?"

A teenage girl fell through a sidewalk in Xi'an, the capital of the China's northwest Shaanxi Province, after she failed to notice warning signs. A video of the girl walking along the sidewalk and using her cellphone on March 25 has been posted to YouTube.

You laughed? That's some serious douchebaggery.... Clearly wasn't her fault.

Call me, or anyone else here, a douchebag again...see how that works out for you.

Steve is fiesty today.

Anyway, people not on a phone would probably have missed the sign too. In the US, we put up barricades with blinking fucking lights.

Back