Talk of Updated XBox One Model at E3 2015

JoseJones

Gawd
Talk of Updated XBox One Model at E3 2015

"Earlier this year, we had talked about the Xbox One Slim from Microsoft, a redesigned Xbox One refresh that would take up lesser space in our living room, and consume lesser power. We are barely one month from this year's E3 show; people are already placing their bets on the Xbox One Slim.

In the past, we have seen both Microsoft and Sony release updated console hardware after about every 2 years. The same trend is expected to continue with the current gen consoles too, which makes it highly likely that Microsoft would make use of E3 2015 as the stage to launch the Xbox One Slim. Of course, actual sales might not happen for another quarter, but if the Xbox One Slim manages to impress, Sony would definitely see a dip in the sales of the PlayStation 4....."

- Xbox One Slim Microsoft's Secret Weapon For E3 2015?

http://www.nextpowerup.com/tags/xbox-one-slim/

E3 2015: June 16-18
https://www.e3expo.com

Computex 2015: June 2-6
https://www.computextaipei.com.tw/

Be sure to let Microsoft know your gripes about the XBox One and demand a new upgraded model:

Welcome to Xbox Feedback!
https://xbox.uservoice.com

So, what would you like to see in a new updated XBox One Slim model?

Why the Xbox One Sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ekdl1niTTc

20 Reasons why the Xbox One is Shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbxD8prB_I

Why I got Rid of the Xbox One for the PS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0SyKHQq64

Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel?
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1738987

21183-6547f6a8_945_556.jpg

21183-4f6f1b3f_715_421.jpg

Last edited:
At this point that sounds ok but really the Xbox One's form factor is the least of its issues. If MS could put the price point at $299 it could absolutely dominate especially since Sony has zero reason to lower the PS4 price point to $299 since its winning by a large margin.

I honestly like my "VHS" box Xbox One. Its dead quite , much less noisy than the PS4. It never overheats thanks to its massive fan. But 1080p vs 900p won't matter if the price point is $100 less than Sony. People just don't notice the difference enough in general to give a damn. They want that cheap price point.

I agree, controller and its performances are much more important. You will be playing the game on your controller so the ergonomics is important, and performance is what you see in gaming. It certainly will not hurt for better looking form factors, but I much prefer performance first.

While I do not game on consoles, I recently bought a XB1 controller for PC, and I am quite impressed with its overall feel, nothing feels cheap, everything feels sturdy, isn't too heavy (probably due to the lack of batteries), and comes with nice long cable. My only grip is the design of the analogue stick, the edges felt sharp and a little uncomfortable.

And I just fucking got one on Friday...

Honestly MS is famous for releasing smaller form factor consoles that have lots of bugs and need another generation of even smaller form factor upgrades to fix.

Example , going from the hairdryer that was the first gen 360 to the second gen much quieter but actually managed to overheat MORE.

So enjoy your "VHS" box. I don't think one of my friends has had to deal with any tech support related issues on the Xbox One while 2 have had to ship back overheating PS4's.

I agree, controller and its performances are much more important. You will be playing the game on your controller so the ergonomics is important, and performance is what you see in gaming. It certainly will not hurt for better looking form factors, but I much prefer performance first.

While I do not game on consoles, I recently bought a XB1 controller for PC, and I am quite impressed with its overall feel, nothing feels cheap, everything feels sturdy, isn't too heavy (probably due to the lack of batteries), and comes with nice long cable. My only grip is the design of the analogue stick, the edges felt sharp and a little uncomfortable.

Go to Amazon and buy PS4 analog sticks , crack open the Xbox one controller and replace them. They interchange easily.

I did the reverse for the fucking awful analog sticks on the PS4 (personal opinion) and now my Xbox One controller is much better. I still think the DS4 is the best controller but the battery life has forced me to buy a second simply to have at the ready and therefore it sucks ass. Sony BETTER announced an upgraded controller with at least twice-three times the battery life.

The original design looked like something that never got out of the prototype phase, literally anything would be a improvement.

The original design looked like something that never got out of the prototype phase, literally anything would be a improvement.

In terms of fashion yea anything is but frankly after you've spent billions fixing an overheating issue that angered lots of fans (I went through 6 360's) you can easily understand why they choose a much larger and opened design. However considering its now a 4 year old design (from a production stand point) you could certainly trim it down without worry of overheating more than likely.

Oh c'mon, I bet I can think of something worse... :)

Imagine: A dark mound of vertically-stacked concentric toroids, tapered in diameter toward the top, creating somewhat of a round-ridged conical profile - like Michelin Tire mascot meets Hershey's Kiss. Add to that an exhaust fan blowing directly up, out of the top, with some external brown wind-streamers left to flail about in the fan's wake.

Basically a pile of excrement with stink lines...

I regret the subject matter, but I felt like writing something descriptive is all... :(

But yea, the XBOne does seem to be less problematic than the 360. I just wish they could offer the console an actual hardware performance upgrade without shit hitting the fan... ahh... there I go again. :(

I would expect a Slim model and a lower price point, possibly $299, is completely necessary and likely.

Honestly MS is famous for releasing smaller form factor consoles that have lots of bugs and need another generation of even smaller form factor upgrades to fix.

Example , going from the hairdryer that was the first gen 360 to the second gen much quieter but actually managed to overheat MORE.

So enjoy your "VHS" box. I don't think one of my friends has had to deal with any tech support related issues on the Xbox One while 2 have had to ship back overheating PS4's.

In my defense, it was a birthday present. :)

Meh, I don't care. This generation is mostly dead to me. They can repackage the hardware into smaller housings, but they can't fix the "definitive edition" hole they've dug.

Meh, I don't care. This generation is mostly dead to me. They can repackage the hardware into smaller housings, but they can't fix the "definitive edition" hole they've dug.

Yeah, Microsoft, given their history, are just not likely to actually fix any of the real issues the XBox fans really want fixed like resolution at 900 instead of true 1080p just for starters. I'd like to hear what the hard working game developers think of that - imagine working on a game in 1080 just to have Microsoft drop it down to 900 and then, it looks like crap on a 1080p TV.

The hardware was already outdated from the beginning. One cool thing about XBox One is that they did finally allow for an external hard drive - perhaps one simple thing they could do is update to allow for the new NVMe interface to allow far quicker load times and snappier OS/dashboard with an external NVMe SSD option?

XBox One needs:

- a better GPU

- DDR5 memory instead of DDR3

- 1080p instead of 900 resolution

- much smaller design ie SLIM

- DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4

- HDMI 2.0

- NVMe capability for external SSD

What all would you like to see changed?

Last edited:
I don't want to see anything changed. I'd much rather this generation die a quick death instead of splitting the audience into haves and have-nots.
No amount of small tweaks can truly fix this generation's faults. Especially on MS's side.
I'd much rather them declare it to be a giant mistake and allow all current owners to get some kind of credit toward a more capable next-gen machine. I know they won't do that, but at this point they're stuck. There are too many Xbox One consoles out there to make a new version that improves on anything important.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 'Core' or 'Gaming' model with stripped out features to save some money and cut down its size. ie: removing the sat/cable hdmi port, dedicated Kinect port, etc.

I highly doubt we'd see anything in the way of bumped up specs (besides larger hdd capacities). Like other posters have said, it'd split the community and likely upset early adopters (even with an aggressive trade-up program).

Who knows, perhaps instead of an updated XBone unit - we'll see an upgraded Kinect... that also includes that AR technology MS has been showing off. That for sure will win users like JoseJones back! :D

I think the new model is just smaller. The only changes I see in the hardware is HDMI 2.0, 1 or 2 TB hard drive, and a 4K scaler.

I think they keep the xbox at one sku and just have different bundles throughout the year.

No matter what, they need to call it the "Remastered Edition" and offer built-in interpolation to make it seem like 60fps.

I think the new model is just smaller. The only changes I see in the hardware is HDMI 2.0, 1 or 2 TB hard drive, and a 4K scaler.

I think they keep the xbox at one sku and just have different bundles throughout the year.

Yeah, the Halo Special Edition idea was just fucking stupid. It was obvious it would be integrated in all units soon enough.

Also, I don't see a massive case shrink coming this early, since the chip is still 28nm. It's at least another year out for them to possibly get a 14nm finfet part out the door for a reasonable cost (cutting-edge node = high price and low availability).

We didn't see the 360 Slim until after two major die shrinks (and 5 years), so don't expect it this year. We also saw the HDMI update in 2007, which is more along the same timeline as the One getting HDMI 2.0 this year.

Who knows, perhaps instead of an updated XBone unit - we'll see an upgraded Kinect... that also includes that AR technology MS has been showing off. That for sure will win users like JoseJones back! :D

Seeing as it was the Kinect that was the gun that shot the Xbox One in the foot to begin with, If Microsoft just wants to out and out suicide the Xbox platform now while the division still holds some value for a potential sell-off, then an "upgraded kinect" would be the perfect way to speed up the process.

The days of them "experimenting" with peripheral toys and gimmicks are long gone. Upgraded Kinects or Hololenses aren't going to vault the massball of CoD playing hot pocket eaters over the fascination threshold. At this point the platform is just in a controlled descent/crash situation preparing for impact - the engines have failed and its just a matter of avoiding mountains in search of a nice flat patch to bring it in on in hopes of minimizing casualties and bloodloss for investors.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't call the One that much of a lost cause. It's more along the lines of the PS1/N64/Saturn generation, where Sony/Nintendo/Sega split the market roughly 70/25/5. We're lookling at a similar split for Sony/MS/Nintendo this time around.

Nintendo did just fine with 25% of the market. So will Microsoft, as it's around the same as they got last generation (and this one cost them a whole lot less to develop and build).

Speaking of Nintendo: unlike Microsoft they're actually screwed this generation. They're on-pace to be as bad as the Saturn was :D

Speaking of Nintendo: unlike Microsoft they're actually screwed this generation. They're on-pace to be as bad as the Saturn was :D

Pfft. You don't know what you're talking about. Saturn was and still is a great machine. :D (joking on that, BTW! The first part, anyway. Saturn is still a great machine!)

Saturn would have been better with SGI in the machine, but the damn Japanese didn't want to go with that. Their ideas were better than the American pig dogs.

I still resent Sony to this day over the PS1/Saturn wars. I didn't own a PS2 or PS3 until after they were the older generation. PS4 might be the same way. Great machines, and I have nothing bad to say about them. It's just the Sony name that I have a bias against. Unwarranted bias, as well. I still like Nintendo, even through the NES/SNES/SMS/Genesis days, but Sony is weird for me.

Yeah, but no console was perfect that generation. Sega had a point about SGI's hardware having limitations: the 4k texture cache (2k with mip-mapping) was incredibly limiting to the maximum texture size the N64 could work with.

But the Saturn still sucked :D

Last edited:

There has already been an XBONE with a 1TB drive. Don't let that Amazon price fool you: it was still $499 when it was new. With external drive support, though, is it really necessary to add more hard drive options?

In my opinion there is no need for a slim model. The console could really do with HDMI 2.0, however, as it's required for 4k media. DisplayPort would be nice, but I don't think that will ever happen... They could also add a new Blu-ray drive to support the new Blu-ray format that is coming.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey now, that Sega Saturn was a 2D powerhouse. It was just a bit unfortunate that 2D gaming was falling out of favour to 3D platformers at the time.

There has already been an XBONE with a 1TB drive. Don't let that Amazon price fool you: it was still $499 when it was new. With external drive support, though, is it really necessary to add more hard drive options?

True that. While I do like the cleanliness of an internal HDD, externals definitely allow more options. I just wish all of the consoles played nice with each other, so that I could use one very large external for all of my systems (Wii U, XBone) instead of having to dedicate a drive for each console. Unless there's a way to partition the drives that I don't know about.

Hey now, that Sega Saturn was a 2D powerhouse. It was just a bit unfortunate that 2D gaming was falling out of favour to 3D platformers at the time.

A 2D powerhouse that doesn't support transparencies unlike the SNES or Playstation ... :p The system has lots of good games, but they made some really odd choices in the hardware design.

That was in the era when Sega was cranking out odd hardware left and right. Prime example of have vs. have nots and not going too crazy with new hardware releases. The Saturn doomed them for better or worse. I recall having shit tons of imported fighting games for my Saturn and very little else. At the very least it was easy to play imports on it. I had a $10 pro-action replay that did the trick.

In my opinion there is no need for a slim model. The console could really do with HDMI 2.0, however, as it's required for 4k media. DisplayPort would be nice, but I don't think that will ever happen... They could also add a new Blu-ray drive to support the new Blu-ray format that is coming.

Yeah that is for the Advance warfare bundle. I'm talking about for the regular SKU having 1TB hard drive.

I don't see a need for a slim model just yet, but they could update some things. Quite frankly, 500GB is not enough internal storage on the system. They could probably safely drop the HDMI in port. What I would really like to see is a completely redesigned UI that is more usable without Kinect. 1080i support would also be welcome. A price drop might not be a bad idea if they can mange it. They might as well ditch the Kinect model at this point as well, it isn't doing them any favors.

Will it still output games at lower then HD resolution? Yes? Then they can make an Ultra-super-duper slim and I couldn't care less. Microsoft really screwed up this gen. The PS4 is selling 2:1 to the Xbox and MS will never catch up.

Maybe next-next gen we will see some consoles that can do 1080p60. Maybe by 2030? And some that will actually have some exclusives to make the systems worth buying?

Such a terrible system. Glad I sold mine.

Will it still output games at lower then HD resolution? Yes? Then they can make an Ultra-super-duper slim and I couldn't care less. Microsoft really screwed up this gen. The PS4 is selling 2:1 to the Xbox and MS will never catch up

agreed...MS better get some really amazing exclusives soon otherwise it's going to be a long 5-6 year wait for the next Xbox...Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't really count as an exclusive as it's more of a timed exclusive

While I prefer the analog sticks on the Xbox One controller, I still like the 360's rounded design a little better. It feels a little more sturdy, too. This looks a little like a hybrid.

While I prefer the analog sticks on the Xbox One controller, I still like the 360's rounded design a little better. It feels a little more sturdy, too. This looks a little like a hybrid.

That might be what I didn't like about the One controller. It feels like I'm holding something with sharp edges/corners. It isn't comfortable. Probably why I like the PS4 controller so much. I actually like it more than the 360 controller...it's just the battery life that sucks.

For me, I like the PS3 controller better for games that use a D-pad (more or less just fighting games) and the 360 controller better for everything else.
I like everything about the PS4 controller, but hate the sharp edges around the top triggers. It's legitimately sharp enough to cut or pinch you.
The Xbox one is just too angular for my tastes. I never saw the point of taking smooth edges and making them flat. It's a minor change, but it's pointless. Ditto with the battery input being horizontal. That takes up more space and feels odd. It also just seems cheaper. While lighter, I have a feeling a solid drop would break it. 360 controllers can take a full-on beating for years and not be affected.

Will it still output games at lower then HD resolution? Yes? Then they can make an Ultra-super-duper slim and I couldn't care less. Microsoft really screwed up this gen. The PS4 is selling 2:1 to the Xbox and MS will never catch up.

Maybe next-next gen we will see some consoles that can do 1080p60. Maybe by 2030? And some that will actually have some exclusives to make the systems worth buying?

Such a terrible system. Glad I sold mine.

The doom and gloom people keep spelling for the XB1 reminds me of last gen. That ended with the PS3 and 360 being pretty neck and neck worldwide. MS has to get their ass in gear but it's not impossible for them to get some momentum going and make up some of the difference. We're not even two years into the launch of these consoles, it's a bit early to be calling it.

Always interesting to hear xbox one is a failure. I just don't know what the basis of that conclusions is:

1) Sales compared to PS4 - yes "failure".
2) Sales compared to 360 first 2 years... I don't have stats, but things I looked at from the first year seemed to indicate it was well outselling the 360 in its first years (maybe someone could find stats, I did a 4 second google search and did not find any recent comparison).

I guess the question is whether the 360 was a failure. I don't really see it as such, except for the fact of the RROD situation. If you go under the view that the 360 was a success, then why would the One be a failure if it is outpacing the 360.

Everyone hates car analogies, but I will do one anyway:

Chevy Silverado 1 sells 1,000,000 units
Chevy Silverado 2 sells 1,500,000 units.
Ford F150 1 sells 1,000,000 units
Ford F150 2 sells 3,000,000 units.
Therefore Chevy Silverado 2 is a failure, Chevy should not make any more Silverado 2's.

I don't follow that logic pattern. Chevy S2 is doing well, just no where near as well as Ford F150 2 ...

I don't see a compelling business reason you smash a product every time it is not #1.
We constantly see this all or nothing commentary on so many products on these forums (phones, computers, etc.)

The doom and gloom people keep spelling for the XB1 reminds me of last gen. That ended with the PS3 and 360 being pretty neck and neck worldwide. MS has to get their ass in gear but it's not impossible for them to get some momentum going and make up some of the difference. We're not even two years into the launch of these consoles, it's a bit early to be calling it.

It will never outpace the PS4, it was over a year ago, the only reason the PS3 caught up was because of worldwide adoption rates, the huge price drop, and PS3 Slim (Rebrand).

MS doesn't have that type of presence worldwide, they outsold the PS3 almost 2:1 or 3:1 in the U.S., UK, Canada and Australia. That's not happening this generation, Sony has outsold Microsoft across the board in every country.

Always interesting to hear xbox one is a failure. I just don't know what the basis of that conclusions is:

1) Sales compared to PS4 - yes "failure".
2) Sales compared to 360 first 2 years... I don't have stats, but things I looked at from the first year seemed to indicate it was well outselling the 360 in its first years (maybe someone could find stats, I did a 4 second google search and did not find any recent comparison).

I guess the question is whether the 360 was a failure. I don't really see it as such, except for the fact of the RROD situation. If you go under the view that the 360 was a success, then why would the One be a failure if it is outpacing the 360.

Everyone hates car analogies, but I will do one anyway:

Chevy Silverado 1 sells 1,000,000 units
Chevy Silverado 2 sells 1,500,000 units.
Ford F150 1 sells 1,000,000 units
Ford F150 2 sells 3,000,000 units.
Therefore Chevy Silverado 2 is a failure, Chevy should not make any more Silverado 2's.

I don't follow that logic pattern. Chevy S2 is doing well, just no where near as well as Ford F150 2 ...

I don't see a compelling business reason you smash a product every time it is not #1.
We constantly see this all or nothing commentary on so many products on these forums (phones, computers, etc.)

I'm not sure why folks say it's a failure, MS has certainly righted the ship and their numbers are ahead of the 360 by a healthy margin.

I just hope they see growth overall though, I don't see them selling more than 40-50 million units LTD this time.

Back