• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Talk LCDs with me

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2000
Messages
5,447
Hey guys -

Currenty im on a 19inch Philips 190S 16ms LCD. Great monitor no ghosting etc.

At this point tho i want more desktop space. My current LCD only does 1280x1024. I was thinking of just getting a 2nd one of these but maybe instead of 300 bucks i should put that toward a bigger display.

I was thinking 21 or up. I really always wanted a 2405 but its price is real high. I was looking at circuit city today and they had a HP 21inch Widescreen LCD/TV kind of deal. Accepted HDTV and all. Was 700 bucks.

After looking at that i started looking at the LCD Tv section. Saw some 26inch ones for 700. Coudl these be run? Their resoultion was like 1300x1000 or something which i assume is widescreen, but will i be able to run my computer at that? I was hoping for something larger, the Dell 2405 does 1900 x 1200 i believe.

SO can someoen explain to me bigger LCD monitors/tv. Can i just use a normal lcd tv as a monitor? what should i look for? what is teh cheapest gaming lcd/tv for a computer for the cheapest price?

Thanks,
Dan
 
Don't know much about LCD-tvs but I do know that many of them do not have square pixels (as the monitor you mentioned) which will get you in trouble when trying to use it as a PC monitor since everything will be stretched.

I personally am aiming for a 23"/24" TFT with 1920x1200. I recommend that you take a look at the Samsung 244t if you're interested in that area of monitors..

I don't think that LCDtvs are that great as monitors. Certainly better than the old CRT TVs but not as good as a real monitor. And that resolution on such a large display will make everything quite large. Think about it, the resolution is almost the same as the one you have - but on a 26" widescreen.

In reality you would fit just as much on that monitor as on your 19" monitor - only it would be bigger and more stretched.

I would personally recommend another 19" monitor or a 23/24" monitor. The jump to 20/21" is to small to justify the price if you compare it too 2x 19" in my opinion. But I like the 20/21" monitors more since I think that 1280x1024 is to low for a 19" monitor (should atleast av 1600x1200) and that 17" and 19" monitors are 5:4 and not 4:3.

Dual monitors can be nice but not for all your work so I think you need to think about if you're really going to use the second display if you got one. So perhaps a 20/21" is the best choice anyway - depending on what you do and if you think that the 23/24 aren't worth the money.
 
Back
Top