• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Taking the grado plunge

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
12,410
So, since the Senn 595 can't hold a candle to the Beyer DT880, i'm getting rid of them, and in their place I decided to take the Grado plunge. Softly. Allesandro MS-1 on the way. :D :D :D
Pics of course once they arrive
 
I love my SR60, I can only hope you love your MS1 as much. :)

Pics and impressions due upon receipt of the cans, of course.
 
all i gotta say is OUCH, i like the PS-1 sound but cant stand the pinching of the ears. You dont like 595 sound? i like it better then the beyer family as well as senn house sound found in the 580/600/650
 
strikeout said:
all i gotta say is OUCH, i like the PS-1 sound but cant stand the pinching of the ears. You dont like 595 sound? i like it better then the beyer family as well as senn house sound found in the 580/600/650
Oh don't get me wrong, I love my 595s, but I find myself reaching for the DT880s every time
 
I just bought a pair of Grado sr225's from TTVJ today. I also put in an order for some Senn hd414 pads as well. Gonna see what all the fuss is about.
 
Love my Grado's.

Senns are way over rated, IMO. Grado is where it is at. I also hate bright speakers, and I know many say Grado's are too bright, but I do not hear the brightness people claim.
 
Senns aren't overrated at all. I was thinking about the Grados when I went to upgrade from my Senn PC150s for gaming, but the Grados have no soundstage (as i've heard), making it horrid for gaming, but where they shine is rock music. I hope you enjoy your MS-1s :p Review please, and how much did you get them for?
 
Grado's 'soundstage' is perfectly fine.

If you worry about soundstage, headphones are a bad idea in the first place, as by design(two speakers directly into your ear) they will never match what properly set up speakers can do.
 
sco0oby said:
Senns aren't overrated at all. I was thinking about the Grados when I went to upgrade from my Senn PC150s for gaming, but the Grados have no soundstage (as i've heard), making it horrid for gaming, but where they shine is rock music. I hope you enjoy your MS-1s :p Review please, and how much did you get them for?
For gaming, I would have to totally agree. But that's what my DT880s are for :D
I paid $85 for them, used. Sure, not that great of a deal, but I had to jump :p

Himmy: Gamers use headphones
 
Not all use headphones. Only time I do is late night.

Regular gaming has Dolby Digital Live pumping through my home theater, to which my computer is now hooked up to. Now THAT is a sound stage.
 
Hmm, I hear you himmy. But headphones do make gaming alot easier, especially "clutching" with footsteps. But the DD Live is a nice touch :D So, how about sending those 595s over here? :p
 
MS-1.jpg


My initial reactions after 30 minutes or so of listening:

1. That was about all I could take before my head started to object. Comfort really wasn't as bad as I expected but they're definitly more fatiguing than I'm used to

2. Holy crap these rock. Seriously. When people say these are the best rock cans under $100, they're not joking. The bass isn't overbloated/overpowering, it's just right. A very, very tiny bit lean for some electronic or rap, but on the whole exactly how I like it.

3. Things are sharp and in focus that should be. Drum sticks being hit together pierce. Everything is impactful.

4. They amplify any existing harshness in the music. Aphex Twin's Windowlicker, for example, or Ventolin. I couldn't even finish listening to them. Some gritty punk rock as well, like The Backseat Girls, was unbearable. Turning it down to a listenable level killed the dynamic range.

5. Isolation? What's that? I heard the freeway traffic through most everything

Note that I did this all unamped, straight out of my receiver. Once I get my millet hybrid built sometime next week or maybe this weekend I'll definitly let you guys know how that goes.
 
compared to the Senns and the Beyers you have, how much of an advantage over rock music does it have?
 
sco0oby said:
compared to the Senns and the Beyers you have, how much of an advantage over rock music does it have?
Well, I feel that the 595s have a bit more bass extension so for some songs they have an advantage. But in terms of just sheer forwardness there's really no comparison. They don't hold back on any aspect of the songs. The 595s have a more forward sound than most Sennheisers, however. For punker stuff (as long as it's not garage recorded on a used cassette :p), I really love this Grado sound. Both the DT880s and the 595s, the beyers more so, have a tendency to pick apart the song, and separate out too much, which ruins the punk feel. The beyers can't even compare. They're too clean for rock, not enough unf. They try too hard to be polite, which isn't the point of rock. I love them to death for anything more delicate. Indie FTW. I still think the 595 have an advantage in eletronica. Goa/psy is beautiful on them, just due to the expansiveness of the sound. Completely surrounded, and I can just close my eyes.
 
hmm, well, for my next purchase, I was thinking of the Grado SR60/125 or the Sennheiser 555/580. That's pretty much my 4 choices for now. Where'd you get your Grados?
 
sco0oby said:
hmm, well, for my next purchase, I was thinking of the Grado SR60/125 or the Sennheiser 555/580. That's pretty much my 4 choices for now. Where'd you get your Grados?
Used on head-fi
 
Back
Top