Taking apart my Dell D600 laptop and upgrading it to a dothan [pics, 56k = 3.14mb]

ToyYoda03

[H]ard|Gawd
I found a good deal on a new 1.7ghz Dothan, a new D600 case for my laptop, and a 512mb stick of ram. My old case had many quarter size dents, tons of scratches all around, was missing the rubber feet and just looked like shit.

What I upgraded today was the case, my 1.3ghz banias w/ the 1mb cache, to a 1.7ghz dothan w/ the 2mb cache. I also slapped in another stick of ram

Laptop and new case
IMG_3100.jpg

The dothan
IMG_3102.jpg

Another shot
IMG_3103.jpg

Keyboard assembly removed
IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Display assembly removed
IMG_3106.jpg

Swapping the LCD frame
IMG_3107.jpg

Palm rest removed
IMG_3108.jpg

HSF removed, banias in socket.
IMG_3109.jpg

Dothan next to the banias. Notice the different core size. The dothan resembles a barton.
IMG_3110.jpg

The high-quality speaker assembly, maybe I should and a amp/sub. :p
IMG_3111.jpg

Motherboard removed
IMG_3112.jpg

Put back together AND THANK GOD IT POSTS.
IMG_3114.jpg

A shot of the finish product
IMG_3116.jpg

I can tell a difference in the boot time and the games I play have gained some FPS. I was fairly sure my warranty was already voided when I bought this off of ebay, but Im fairly certain it is now. :D Right now, I have it priming but everything seems to be in order. I somehow lost one screw, but it doesnt really matter. A do not like the new mouse pad, the click is way to soft and sensitive. Also the LCD latch isnt as tight as it was and the overall weight seems to have increased a pound. The case seems to be better built than the other, but overall it was worth it.

I must say, its nice to have rubber feet again, so I don't scratch the living shit out of the bottom anymore.

Discuss

I take apart laptops a few times a week and I can say that loosing a screw or two is nothing. One of the other techs I use to work with use to say hey look extra parts when he did it as he always a few extra. On a side note what you doing with that old proc.

Nice upgrade and nice pics. We have a bunch of the D600's at work and your old case looks brand new compared to some of the ones I've seen heh.

workingnonstop said:
Nice job, can I have the old 600m case? :D

actually, if you want it u can have it. Just pay shipping

swatbat said:
I take apart laptops a few times a week and I can say that loosing a screw or two is nothing. One of the other techs I use to work with use to say hey look extra parts when he did it as he always a few extra. On a side note what you doing with that old proc.

I might have a barebones laptop coming, and I would use the banias for that. If not, Im going to sell it.

Back