Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Reports Strong Results for Fiscal Year 2017

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Take-Two Interactive has posted strong results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year 2017. Net revenue increased 52% to $571.6 million on sales from games such as Mafia III, Grand Theft Auto V® and Grand Theft Auto Online, NBA® 2K17, WWE® 2K17, and Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI. The controversial topic that gamers begrudging spend money on is DLC and microtransactions. Their digitally-delivered net revenue metrics for the fourth quarter grew 43% to $278.7 million of which 50% came from DLC and microtransactions and represented 24% of their total net revenue. This was mainly generated from the DLC stars such as Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, NBA 2K17, Mafia III, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, and XCOM® 2. Net income for the year increased to $99.3 million compared to the $46.4 million posted last year. Net revenue was up 26% to $1.780 billion and digitally-delivered net revenue grew 32% to $921.7 million. Net cash from operating activities grew by 27% to $331.4 million. The Company has cash and short-term investments valued at $1.392 billion.

The article goes into much greater detail with breaking down the numbers. I found it amazing how much gamers spent with one corporation on DLC and microtransactions. 50% of their total digital sales was DLC and microtransactions! GTA V never seems to get single player DLC and now we know why! If people will spend that much on online transactions, I would never create single player DLC for my fan base. I wonder what other companies are making off add on microtransactions and DLC. No wonder it was no big deal for them to delay Red Dead Redemption to 2018.

"Consumer demand for our entertainment offerings remained exceedingly strong in the fourth quarter, finishing-off another outstanding year for our organization," said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two. "During fiscal 2017, we delivered Bookings and cash provided by operating activities that significantly exceeded our original expectations, along with revenue growth and margin expansion. These results were driven by the continued extraordinary performance of Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, a diverse array of exciting titles from 2K, and record digitally-delivered revenue and Bookings, including our highest-ever from recurrent consumer spending. We invested our capital to grow and diversify our business further, including by acquiring Social Point, a leading free-to-play mobile game developer.

I can see GTA:5 helping them. As for Mafia 3, that game is just bad. Broken buggy glitchy pos. I would be surprised if the game moved into beta patches now.

I can see GTA:5 helping them. As for Mafia 3, that game is just bad. Broken buggy glitchy pos. I would be surprised if the game moved into beta patches now.
Mafia III started off really good then fell flat on its face. I didn't find it that buggy.

Mixed feelings. Civ 6, meh. Xcom 2, great but buggy. Borderlands TPS, meh.

Tell ya what though, I miss NFL 2K so much. Madden needs a competitor. Stupid EA shouldn't have been allowed to lock up the NFL rights.

I found it interesting that mafia 3 went into the bargain bin about 2 months after it came out.

You never need to use micro-transactions in GTA 5, like those shark cards to give you in game money. Worthless, all you need to do is tool around doing random missions online for about an hour and inevitably some hacker will log into your session and give you millions.

A couple nights ago one of the hackers by the name of "Admin" came into a session, moved everyone to the beach, whoever survived by running away or killing everyone else he rewarded with $40 mil. Bought myself a high end apartment, office, yacht, and every car/plane/boat I wanted and still have plenty left over.
Funny thing is, even if I didn't want to accept these "ill-gotten gains" I can't just dump the money somewhere. And all these things I bought are starting to make me even more money.

I'm not sure who these people are that are spending money on shark cards but apparently they brought in half a billion in revenue for take-two. What a waste.

So, everything is going great!

Next step... Massive layoff's and possible closure.

GTA Online as it is advertised is a Unicorn to me....I've never seen it.

The game I have experienced is this: Log onto server, mute all the 9 year olds and wannabe badasses, spawn in the apartment I bought with the cash I received for buying GTAV for like the 2nd or 3rd time, and then decide if I want to replay one of the Simeone missions for the thousandth time as a solo player, or participate in one of the MarioWorld type games they have available, I have yet to even get past the 2nd or 3rd Lamar mission playing with randoms, and i've long since kind of given-up. So in game, If you get close to any other dot on the map, you'll die and respawn 3 blocks away. This will happen repeatedly. So, you go someplace else with no dots.....then you realize this is the same as the single player game, except in the online world, you aren't a billionaire and you don't want to waste the ammo to tackle a mission that barely pays for the ammo you'll use completing the mission :D

Heists? Hahahahaha......right. I once started one, then the mission ended. Not really sure one, someone died. That happened like 15 times......so I've never played a Heist, never completed one, never got paid. This is GTA Online for a whoooooooole lot of people, so if this is what Rockstar thinks will shine with GTA6, like Destiny...and Titanfall...and Battlefront....all these games have revenue lives measured in months. 6 months in the games are less than half price new, and far cheaper used.

GTA 6 Online-Only would need to be free to play.

GTA Online as it is advertised is a Unicorn to me....I've never seen it.

The game I have experienced is this: Log onto server, mute all the 9 year olds and wannabe badasses, spawn in the apartment I bought with the cash I received for buying GTAV for like the 2nd or 3rd time, and then decide if I want to replay one of the Simeone missions for the thousandth time as a solo player, or participate in one of the MarioWorld type games they have available, I have yet to even get past the 2nd or 3rd Lamar mission playing with randoms, and i've long since kind of given-up. So in game, If you get close to any other dot on the map, you'll die and respawn 3 blocks away. This will happen repeatedly. So, you go someplace else with no dots.....then you realize this is the same as the single player game, except in the online world, you aren't a billionaire and you don't want to waste the ammo to tackle a mission that barely pays for the ammo you'll use completing the mission :D

Heists? Hahahahaha......right. I once started one, then the mission ended. Not really sure one, someone died. That happened like 15 times......so I've never played a Heist, never completed one, never got paid. This is GTA Online for a whoooooooole lot of people, so if this is what Rockstar thinks will shine with GTA6, like Destiny...and Titanfall...and Battlefront....all these games have revenue lives measured in months. 6 months in the games are less than half price new, and far cheaper used.

GTA 6 Online-Only would need to be free to play.

That was my experience, but I only lasted 2 tries before I concluded that GTA V Online was crap. Never logged in again.

Back