Take a look

woof

right at twice the speed of my Tbred.
Wonder if its 33% faster?

Bench that puppy, lets see what it can do.

Ah the coveted and infamous Engineering Sample. Funny how all these review sites get these things and get awesome overclocks yet us common folk get the average overclocks....blah.

No surprise since they switched to a 32-stage pipeline at the last moment. If Prescott didn't reach this kind of overclock on a 32-stage pipeline...Intel would be in trouble.

Originally posted by DaveX
No surprise since they switched to a 32-stage pipeline at the last moment. If Prescott didn't reach this kind of overclock on a 32-stage pipeline...Intel would be in trouble.

We still don't know how long the pipeline is. Alot of people are taking unrealiable rumors as fact.

At the most is was a 4 stage increase, more than likely just 2 stages. That would put Prescott at 30-32 stages, OR 22-24 stages depending on how you count them (Northwood was 28/20).

Even then, you can't 'switch' pipeline stages at the last moment. When you 'add' execution stages you are in reality dividing the existing stages, i.e. redesigning execution stages. That is not something you do at the last minute.

Considering Northwood was reaching 3.5+GHz, a simple process shrink is more than enough to realize a 4+GHz overclock.

Then you were expecting to much. A full ghz is great, and who knows, I might get more on my Alienware.

If thats on air and stable, not to shabby. What I really what to see is the OC ability of the lower end prescotts.

If kyle reviews a Prescott and it does 4+ Ghz for him, I will fuckin bust into my bank account and buy one that day.... regaurdless of performance

Tedinde, remember its an ES. A later stepping will probably get your 5GHz.
Take a breath, it'll be ok.

Hell, this is just the screenshot, we don't know if it was stable at 4.2GHz or just getting started...

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
Then you were expecting to much. A full ghz is great, and who knows, I might get more on my Alienware.

Please tell me what's so special about your alienware?? cept paying too much for someone to build it for you?? Hell i can just about build to alienware specs and use a Vapo and come in cheaper.

I mean i see now water or vapo cooling alienware options. And im sure they are not using the best Thermalright HS you can buy.

I just happened to notice in another thread that it you stated it will run faster in your alienware.

At least they are using asus 875 boards now instead of the stock intel. But i have never seen any magic or anyone @ that top of 3dmark Stating Alienware as their system??

Originally posted by 0ldman
Tedinde, remember its an ES. A later stepping will probably get your 5GHz.
Take a breath, it'll be ok.

Hell, this is just the screenshot, we don't know if it was stable at 4.2GHz or just getting started...

Probably stable. Visionary wouldnt post it if it isnt. Just a taste. I've seen some shots in private places about the same stable.

I'll buy a few of them till i find a good one.

Ive not had a P4 in my system yet without at least a 1ghz overclock. Vagrant Zero is new to the game it seems. I do expect more.

But i welcome him along with every newcomer.

They will scale up im sure even if they suck at first.

Ive not had a P4 in my system yet without at least a 1ghz overclock.

You do realize you're the EXCEPTION, not the bloody standard. Search around a bit before claiming to speak for the standard, most people here don't have OCs greater than 600-800mhz. If the Prescott's do 1ghz I'll consider that just fine.

If a P4 didn't get nearly 1GHz from supercooling then it was a bad, bad chip.

Check Ted's sig.

You do realize you're the EXCEPTION, not the bloody standard. Search around a bit before claiming to speak for the standard, most people here don't have OCs greater than 600-800mhz. If the Prescott's do 1ghz I'll consider that just fine.

Agree with statement.

However if you get a 1ghz overclock out of a 3ghz processor (on air) consider that a fucking miracle.

Originally posted by DaveX

The design was implemented at the start (well at least several months in advance). You dont make changes to a complicated design overnight and pray to god it will work tomorrow.

yes i realize, I've been around the block a couple more times than you. If i were to check my accounting records I would say i have bought and tested probably at least 150 Pentium 4 northwood chips.

This isnt my Main fourm, im in all of them, Havnt seen your name around, but welcome to the show.

The 3.2 in my sig is actually my worst overclock Only 1ghz, And yes i do go through quite a lot of chips to find that magic one.

And yes i will put more volts that most of you like to get there. Cept my sig one.

I've my original 1.6a running on a abit Th7II since Feb of 2002 @ a little over 2.8ghz @ 1.85v. And i used to take it over 2v for those 3ghz runs.

Batoman is right, The best i can do with my chip on air is 4ghz with a zalman.

V-zone does say they run hotter and with less volts, so there is going to be a problem with those 1ghz OC's. Sounds like old Thunderbird days with the hair drier heatsinks!!!!

Im buying one of each prescott soon as they are available overnight, I do not believe Website reviews, I take more stock in a good fourm reveiw by someone i've known.

Monday isnt that far off to answer all of our questions.

Back