Taiyo Yuden Valueline 8X DVD-R Blank Media -- 200x $42.49 (shipped)

I've never used their valueline stuff before, but their premium line is all I use for my backup needs.

Their premium is practically guaranteed TY02 media. Valueline on the other hand is a mixture of all their media (which isn't a bad thing technically but can be a hit-or-miss in my opinion).

Their premium is practically guaranteed TY02 media. Valueline on the other hand is a mixture of all their media (which isn't a bad thing technically but can be a hit-or-miss in my opinion).

It's been a couple of years since I've bought any media (bought 600 TY01 Value's, got a great deal), so it could've changed. If it's anything like it was, you'd be a fool to spend more money on anything else. Even a mix of TY is a great thing. It's not like TY01 can't be burned at 8x, and you might even be able to get away with 12x on a great burner....

Why? What makes a CD better than the other?

I get no burn errors whatsoever, so thats a big deal. and a lot of the time you can burn at a higher speed than the dvd is rated for if you get high quality dvds. My friend bought some best buy dvds and he gets burn errors all the time even burning at 4x

also, certain dvd players cannot play different brands of dvds. TY work in most that I've seen

I get no burn errors whatsoever, so thats a big deal. and a lot of the time you can burn at a higher speed than the dvd is rated for if you get high quality dvds. My friend bought some best buy dvds and he gets burn errors all the time even burning at 4x

also, certain dvd players cannot play different brands of dvds. TY work in most that I've seen

So I know this really have nothing to do with the topic at hand, but every time you said "burn" I read it as bum.

Wrong. Completely wrong. a) This is -R media, with the MID TYG02. b) These are going to be the same MID, made in Japan. How is it a mix?

I'd personally spend the little extra for their mainstream "premium" line.

The Valueline are discs that do not meet the requirements of their premium line. So basically they are their "duds". The Premium burn quality scans are much better then the valueline ones. I know because I accidentally bought a 50 pack of the Valueline once. More info on CD Freaks.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Overall, Valueline is not too bad, but my Premium disc's had ~10% better quality burns.

I would still go with Premium disc's. On occasion they have great sales @ Newegg, rima, supermediastore.com with free shipping + 15% off. That's when I stock up :c)

Sorry, I guess I didn't word it correctly. You're right, they're -R and made in Japan. What I meant was you could end with 01/02/03. 01 I doubt now but hey, flukes happen. It's the 03 media which I'm not to fond of. The other reason I felt they're hit-or-miss is exactly what Bloop said. Although I'm not going to buy another batch to fully test this or anything, I've got the feeling it's possible. However, for all I know, they could be batches of overstocked premium. That's the entertaining part of hit-or-miss. Atleast there's the satisfaction of knowing that "value" TY media is probably better than some of the stuff at Bestbuy,etc.

I've only purchased the value line TY from shop4tech or meritline for the past couple years. I've never had a single bad burn or quality issue. Never paid attention if they were TY01 02 or 03. A random disc that i tested was a Tyg02. I've burnt all discs at 12X since I got my ND3550 more than a year ago.

...but the last batch of dvd cases I got from shop4tech is another story. You could rip them like they were paper.

I think the TY I bought from shop4tech were also the valueline.

IMO they are great, I have never had a burn problem.

As for teh 100 pack of COMPusa 4x dvd's I've probably had a 1/20 error rate.

I've burned nearly 2000 of the Valuelines. Always between 96% to 99% quality scans with Nero. How much better do the 'Premium' TYs burn than that?

1650burn2zq1.jpg

Forgot to mention I get em from Shop4Tech.
They used to be TYG01.
Now they are TYG02 but once in awhile they are TYG03.
If you sign up for their flyer once a month you get a 10% off coupon in your email. They are always around $25 shipped per 100. Never have had a coaster with one using 4 different burners.

I've burned nearly 2000 of the Valuelines. Always between 96% to 99% quality scans with Nero. How much better do the 'Premium' TYs burn than that?

1650burn2zq1.jpg

Forgot to mention I get em from Shop4Tech.
They used to be TYG01.
Now they are TYG02 but once in awhile they are TYG03.
If you sign up for their flyer once a month you get a 10% off coupon in your email. They are always around $25 shipped per 100. Never have had a coaster with one using 4 different burners.

That is a nice burn. I actually had the exact same burner when using the valueline. Guess I had a truley shitty batch. The highest I could get were 92-94% with 88 being lowest. I then got some premiums and got constant 99%. Also, much less PI spikes.

Back