Tagan A+ Black Pearl Info

edinator

Limp Gawd
Ok guys well i've had this case for around 6 months now and it is great. I feel that there are a lot of unanswered questions about this case and I want to clear it up.

I'll start off by posting some pictures of my own setup:

This one is my first setup with the fans on the outside of the case with a swiftech MCR220 mounted on the inside (*more info on internal mounted rad later)

2813577517_70f5978ffb.jpg

This is a picture of my second setup where the loop is split before the cpu and gpu to deliver cool water to both blocks (I found this to be the best performance). I have noctuas pulling air from the outside that are mounted in the top of the case.

2962615670_37b1bd0ea8.jpg

This last photo is my current setup with a second MCR120 rad on the single fan. The radiator is mounted the same way as the second picture. Still needs some cable management...

3043824253_980d87d55d.jpg

FAQ

1. Q: what radiators will fit on the top of the case on the outside.
A: If you want the barbs to line up with the pre drilled holes, then the Feser 240 fits perfectly. I know that the MCR220 does NOT fit. I will take a more accurate measurement of the space between the barbs later.

2: Q: Is there room to mount a rad on the side of the case?
A: If you want to mount a rad on the inside, you will need one that is around 3 cm thick. You might be able to fit the fans in as well. This is for a E-ATX board. It will fit rad with a M-atx board no problem.

Random Info:
1: The PSU bracket in the back can be flipped upside down to mount the PSU higher (look at the pictures on the main page). Although this might block the fan on PSUs that have top mounted fans.

2.On my setup, I cut the fan grills out on top which were restricting airflow and causing more noise. Just cutting the grill helped lower the temps by 7 degrees.

3: My Current Specs:
A+ Tagan Black Pearl Case (Lian Li Rip off :p)
AMD X2 6000+ overclocked to 3.2 GHZ
4GB G skill Ram (2 sticks of 2 GB)
Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt PSU
Asus M32 MVP Deluxe motherboard
Hitachi 500GB Hard Drive
Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive
WD 500GB Hard Drive external
AMD Sapphire 4870X2 GPU
Asus Xonar D2X
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

My temps are:
CPU: 34 Idle --- 40 Load
GPU: 33 Idle --- 39 Load

Planning on upgrading to AM3 Phenom II later.

4: I have more pictures of this case here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edinator/sets/72157607036666070/
Some of those pictures are not of this case but it's all titled.

5: In my opinion, the cable management in this case is ok. I am planning on cutting out a few holes in the motherboard tray to route the PSU cables better. There plenty of room and the lower chamber of the case has a lot of potential for modding.

The drive racks can be taken out. From my experiences, the HDD rack and the mounting method sucks for reducing vibrations. This is probably because I only have one drive which is light enough to vibrate the cage.

6: This case retails for around $290 CDN (prices have gone up since I bought it...stupid economy....) NCIX.com stocks them.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now but if you have more questions just ask and maybe I can anwser them.

You can't really go wrong with cases like these but its all up to personal preference and what you need for your setup. For me the black pearl was perfect and looked awesome as well.

I bought this case for $89.99 US plus tax about two weeks ago. I guess they are being discontinued, at least at Frys. I walked by it and thought "this looks exactly like a Lian-Li (it is a re-branded V2000ish). I feel bad about my Stacker but this Tagan is much lighter. The only real draw backs I can think of is about cable management in the top half of the case.

Wow that was a good deal. I am going to cut a few holes in the motherboard tray to route the power cables which will hopefully fix up some of the mess.

Back