tablets?

TBJ

Gawd
What is the best alternative to an ipad?
My wife was thinking of getting this: Apple iPad with Retina Display (4th Generation) 32GB, but she's not so sure anymore. (Because supposedly its the best, but maybe the best is too expensive if she's not going to use all of its features).

The android alternative is either the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10, either way it is much cheaper. The Kindle Fire is alright, but you're limited to Amazon's appstore and the interface for it is basically take it or leave it. Surface RT is starting to become a half-decent option, but still definitely needs to mature a lot before becoming viable, and Surface Pro isn't exactly for somebody looking for a tablet (and way pricier). As a gamer I'd almost lean towards the iPad even though I'm not a fan of Apple, it simply has the best game selection, although I'm assuming she probably just cares about web browsing, which a Nexus would do great and then some.

I've used some "cheap" $100-ish tablets back-to-back with an iPad2, and they were fine to me for browsing and the few games I tried, etc. They actually had more features since they had things like SD card slot and tv-out and more memory. The iPad's screen moves more fluidly and is better, but it's not like the lower-priced tablets were bad. Really cheap tablets might be bad, but an $80 7" or $100-ish 10" might be all someone needs. Just depends what someone is looking for and at what price.

I nabbed an ipad mini, it's great! It does not support adobe flash though. I was hoping to use this for my online courses, but can't. I would need an android for that. I have thought about a nexus or Note. I think new versions of the nexus are supposed to,be out shortly.

If anything get a Nexus.

OK, Nexus 7 recently got updated. Is it worth getting teh new version over the old one?

Unless your wife is a 'techie', or sometimes even if she is, just get her the ipad. That's what her friends have, that's what she expects to tell her friends she has, that's what they want. Always good to have a happy wife. Yeah, it's overpriced. So are diamonds, gold, and marriage.

It's very hard to find a good alternative to the iPad but the Nexus 7 is the closest thing...

OK, my wife bought an iPad 4th gen. I got the new nexus 7, Otterbox does not make a case for 2nd generation nexus 7, what is a good alternative?

Nexus 7 tablet, primarily competing with similar other devices such as the Nook Tablet, Kindle Fire and the Blackberry Playbook.

Just to clarify, what is a good case other than otterbox for the new nexus 7?

Unless your wife is a 'techie', or sometimes even if she is, just get her the ipad. That's what her friends have, that's what she expects to tell her friends she has, that's what they want. Always good to have a happy wife. Yeah, it's overpriced. So are diamonds, gold, and marriage.

Perhaps the truest statement I have ever read on [H]ard!!! :D

Has anyone used the Revolution series of tablet cases from Poetic? Are they on similiar protection as Otterbox Defenders?

Nexus 7 looks pretty good, I may pick one of these up for my girls B-day. Never liked Apples pricing or methodology.

Last edited:
I own the Nexus 7 and it's fantastic. One of the best purchases I've ever made. After using it for a month I can't see why anyone (who isn't a mindless drone) would opt for an iPad over a Nexus (whether it's the 7 or 10).

i know its a bit late to the game on this thread...but..
i went with a samsung over the nexus for the sole reason of the SD card slot. i may not use all that space ever- but i know people who have and i like the option it gives me where the nexus you are limited to the internal storage capacity & thats all there is.

not sure how techy ur wife is, but i'd say women may find ios easier to operate than android.. personally i think the new iPad mini retina looks amazing, however a bit pricey ,,, if anything for android would go for Nexus 7 !

Is she in the market for a compact tablet? By your original post it seems she prefers a bigger screen. In that case I would look for as others have said Nexus lineup.

However, if you can wait, the Nexus 10 is probably due for a refresh sooo all the better time to snag up a older nexus 10 (whose screen resolution is the same).

Yep Yep!!

Happy wife - happy life...

Dont forget a good case lol. These break like no other day.

I have the first gen Nexus 7 and love it, it's really a great tablet. Other than the CPU performance, which isn't terrible but it could have been better. Either way, a good case and a screen protector is a necessity on the nexus.

In generally, Apple is too expensive, so other alternatives are Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. However, if she wants this tablet, she should buy it.:p

Back