Tablet Showdown: iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro 4

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gee, should I go with the one that has a full operating system, or one with a mobile OS?

I’d recommend the iPad Pro for serious digital artists or those who know they can get away with only using mobile apps or a mobile browser for work. (Or those who want to play as much as they work.) The iPad Pro is the better tablet. The Surface Pro 4, however, is a better laptop, and a better value for most people.

I love it... iPad pro is suggest for iOS lovers... who woulda thunk.

While I don't use Apple products, IF you were to get away with using a mobile OS for a laptop, iOS probably has the best shot. They just have the more robust app platform.

Some people actually want a jumbo iPod.

The lack of proper background multitasking for interactively connected apps is a killer for IT tools though but most IT folks would have the common sense not to use iOS.

I've played around with an iPad Pro at work. It's just a larger iPad. I don't like the keyboard - it's not that great. The Pencil? What an expensive let down.
A few years ago, I bought a stylus from the company 5/3 (to work with the Paper app). That stylus is nicer - and was about $50.
iOS9 seems so limited on the device. It's begging for a real OS.

I've also used the new Surface. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the iPad. Maybe the iPad will appeal to graphic designers? However, they probably have a drawing tablet for the Macs that works better for what they do.

Really wish there was a proper Android competitor. The Pixel C is very close for me. Maybe this years one.

I've also used the new Surface. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the iPad. Maybe the iPad will appeal to graphic designers? However, they probably have a drawing tablet for the Macs that works better for what they do.

Graphics designers use Photoshop and Illustrator and not phone apps. The only use of an iPod Pro to them is as a companion Cintiq wannabe but with higher latency and having to carry two devices. That's why a lot of Mac artists have switched to Surface Pro or Book.

I use the Surface Pro 3 at work and my wife gave her iPad away and bought a Surface.

The Surface is a damn good tablet and with a keyboard is just about unbeatable.:D

I am generally someone that does not care for Apple products at all. However I believe the Ipad is prolly a better tablet for consumption. The Surface Pro 3/4 are better small laptops that happen to have touch screens and removable keyboards that can be used as tablets. They really should not even be compared to one another.
Surface Pro 4 is really it's own thing. It can be your only PC.

If you want to compare tablets, compare the Ipad Pro to the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2.

I guess I wasn't hallucinating about that stylus. Why o why couldn't we get Surface pro 4 with Wacom digitizer?

mi7chy's point is quite valid. Earlier Surface Pro was a bit of a poor man's Cintiq Companion (once you've done the calibration.) It works well from a workflow point of view. Strangely enough, I actually want larger screen real estate when I fire up PS on my SP2.

I guess I wasn't hallucinating about that stylus. Why o why couldn't we get Surface pro 4 with Wacom digitizer?

mi7chy's point is quite valid. Earlier Surface Pro was a bit of a poor man's Cintiq Companion (once you've done the calibration.) It works well from a workflow point of view. Strangely enough, I actually want larger screen real estate when I fire up PS on my SP2.

As you pretty much mentioned, digital artists are probably going to go with a Cintiq Companion rather than the iPad or Surface Pro.

Apple has it's uses. It's probably the cleanest of the mobiles. The Surface Pro is probably the most flexible. And Android is the cheapest.

one is a pretty toy; the other one is not...

The Surface Pro 4 is more flexible and complex. The iPad Pro is a better pure tablet. I think both devices have a place but given the price point of the iPad Pro, it doesn't make sense as a general purpose productivity device unless one is tied to iOS for whatever reason.

If what you do is iOS only, the Surface Pro would be worthless. If your apps are Windows and not iOS (or a gimpy version on iOS), then the Surface Pro wins.

It all comes down to usage, apps needed, etc.. I use my iPad for a glorified e-reader, etc.. Consumption only. Very, very good battery life, small, light. Works great. My Surface Pro 4 is for everything else. Writing, reading, web, email, development, etc... For my usage, the SP4 is better. But, it's not going to be that way for everyone.

If what you do is iOS only, the Surface Pro would be worthless. If your apps are Windows and not iOS (or a gimpy version on iOS), then the Surface Pro wins.

It all comes down to usage, apps needed, etc.. I use my iPad for a glorified e-reader, etc.. Consumption only. Very, very good battery life, small, light. Works great. My Surface Pro 4 is for everything else. Writing, reading, web, email, development, etc... For my usage, the SP4 is better. But, it's not going to be that way for everyone.

I agree with what you're saying. I think the iPad Pro is a nice device but at its price point and feature set I think it's in a touch spot as a general purpose productivity machine. Apple is adding more features to iOS to help out and there can be advantages to having a less complex device that's not vulnerable to Windows malware and such.

Back