Tablet Sales Expected to Exceed $64 Billion in 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
2013 could be the year that sees the beginning dominance of tablets over desktop computers. The trend is continuing with the decline in sales of the PC and the rise of the tablet market within the last year and continuing into 2013.

ABI hinted that Samsung could end up with the upper hand here -- if it can execute a well-planned strategy, according to ABI mobile devices senior practice director Jeff Orr.

That is until people start holding onto their tablets for 4-5 years, cause their old one is just fast enough.

Why do people keep acting like this is some sort of direct competition between Desktops and Tablets. It's not. They're used for different (but overlapping) things. Also, the Desktop market is a mature market, and the Tablet market is still a developing one.

I'm getting pretty sick of the whole, "Desktop PCs are dying! Everyone has moved on to Tablets!" It's bullshit. People who can do what they need/want to do on a tablet and don't need a desktop will probably not buy a desktop. In the past, they probably bought a desktop because they didn't have the option of something smaller and lighter; now they do. From my perspective, they were probably buying something they really didn't need very much. But if you used your desktop to do some heavy lifting in the past, you'll still be using the desktop in the future, because it is still the best tool for the job, not the tablet.

I don't mind where the tablet market goes. Long as microsoft isn't a monopoly in it like they are with the desktop.

I don't mind where the tablet market goes. Long as microsoft isn't a monopoly in it like they are with the desktop.

Yeah because Google and Apple operating systems are so much better right? :rolleyes:

Why do people keep acting like this is some sort of direct competition between Desktops and Tablets. It's not. They're used for different (but overlapping) things. Also, the Desktop market is a mature market, and the Tablet market is still a developing one.

I'm getting pretty sick of the whole, "Desktop PCs are dying! Everyone has moved on to Tablets!" It's bullshit. People who can do what they need/want to do on a tablet and don't need a desktop will probably not buy a desktop. In the past, they probably bought a desktop because they didn't have the option of something smaller and lighter; now they do. From my perspective, they were probably buying something they really didn't need very much. But if you used your desktop to do some heavy lifting in the past, you'll still be using the desktop in the future, because it is still the best tool for the job, not the tablet.

I think this is a good summary of the situation ... the "desktop" version of the PC has been niche for quite a while (the laptop had replaced it as the top seller a long time ago) ... the desktop flavor will never die (although it could become more and more niche) ... heck, mainframes were replaced by computers decades ago and they are still around ;)

PCs have hit a plateau with the regular consumers ... they are fast enough so that the technology improvements aren't requiring new purchases, and their form factors aren't innovative enough to open themselves up to new uses (home servers, Steam gameboxes, home automation controllers, etc)

Tablets may have started out as a fad, but since they are only at the start of their technology curve they are rapidly shifting into the mainstream ... as more hybrid laptop/tablet combos or maybe even eventually some desktop/tablet combos hit the market they will only solidify their position (at least until the next big thing comes along to replace them)

The big opportunity for PCs is still to come when display technology catches up with the Sci Fi movies ... when we have wall size panels like in Back to the Future and Minority Report, when we have holographic 3D projectors, when homes come fully automated and wired for home media, when the small form factor computers become cheaper (they are already very powerful and quiet) ... then we will see the PC renaissance return :cool:

I'm more than likely purchasing my first ever tablet this year. Just feels like it's time to pay to own one for the little online everyday tasks. Leaning towards the Nexus 10 unless something else pops up in the next month or two.

Yeah because Google and Apple operating systems are so much better right? :rolleyes:

If we're talking about tablets then iOS is definitely better. Android on tablets is held back by phones since developers are encouraged to upscale their phone apps rather than optimize for tablet screens, resulting in bad tablet UIs. The hardware is slower too, the GPU in the Nexus 10 is barely able to drive its basic desktop smoothly, but that's the tradeoff for being cheaper.

Microsoft is in an "ok" position with RT. The biggest problem is that it has no apps or developers, and that won't change until people start buying RT systems. Standard Windows 8 sales won't really help because people will just use regular desktop applications instead. The hardware is another problem, but it seems like only Apple is willing to go all out with their GPUs.

Right. Windows Phone and Windows RT are total failures. Then they made their desktop OS look like a phone OS. Now they are declining on the desktop to.

What are you trying to say? Uncle Google provides you with a perfectly good OS free of charge and all you have to do is consent to surrender privacy for you e-mail, location, surfing habits, apps, personal preferences, medical conditions, banking information, sexual activity, and addictions so we can mine that data to better understand you or resell it to third parties or your national government and you have the nerve to complain? What's wrong with you?!

Back