Tablet Help!

panthal01

n00b
Basically,the wife has really been wanting a tablet to browse on,while out and about or sitting on the couch,and I'd like one to play around with.We do have an older Acer Aspire 5810TZ ultra portable,which is very light,but she really wants a tablet.The CULV intel 1.3ghz cpu in the Acer is complete and total garbage,single core and highly underpowered.Even with an SSD in it,it still feels laggy.

One of our good friends has offered to sell us his HP Touchpad 32gig for 200$us.It's in mint condition so far as i can tell. And hes very trustworthy. But i was wondering if you guys would buy it,or get something different for around the same price,even if refurb/used for around 200$. e.Is there a Android based product that you would take over the Hp Touchpad 32gig for performance/ease of use reasons?Something more powerful at the same price?I really am clueless comes to the tablets so any advice you can give. Please give me ANY thoughts you have,no matter how small.

Thank you so much,i really appreciate your time!

Edit****I had ipad on the brain.Its actually a HP Touchpad 32gig hes selling for 200. Worth it or pass?

Last edited:
That's a great price on a iPad. I would with that. If your wife doesn't like it sell it for $250 and spend a bit more on a new android tablet.

I would probably consider a BlackBerry Playbook for a general use tablet. Forum members have recently been raving about it here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1672870. It has the advantage of still being developed vs the Touchpad which is dead tech. If she knows that she wants a tablet she may have something specific in mind like an iPad, KIndle or Nook. You should make sure that isn't the case before you buy any alternative.

If you put CM9 on the touchpad - it's a great little machine. I use mine daily.

I also have a Playbook - I do like it, and if you upgrade to the 2.0 software - the email client is excellent. Browsing is fast as well - like Prav said, an overall excellent general use tab. I just prefer the 10 inch screen on the Touchpad.

thats pretty good for the touchpad, if you want the extra screen space i'd get that, if not i'd get a kindle fire.

After using the new iPad I can say my experience with the touchpad wasn't that good. I had no idea what I was missing out on.

It's a good time to get into a current gen tab as the new ones are right around the corner. There's tons of good tabs that can be had for under 250 at 1daysale, cowboom etc.

I bought a playbook for $199 brand new just for an e-reader and think its a high quality tablet... It has a full featured web browser, its snappy, hdmi out, dual camera, etc However...

I fail to see why so many people want a tablet. It makes me rage everytime i have to use the on screen keyboard. If you buy a wireless keyboard, then why dont you just use a laptop??

I picked up a 199 playbook yesterday as well and its leaps and bounds better than when I had purchased my original unit on launch day (returned a week later). The email client is great, I love the blinking message alert indicator similar to blackberry phones (I have an iphone 4s at this point...)

The apps that are available are now substantially improved as well, the game library is pretty decent (not a huge gamer on my tablet as i use it for work email, browsing and scheduling through the course of the day).

One thing that is strange is i am having issues today with our Cisco wireless access at work, i am getting a 3RFINA error when accessing the hot spot login and haven t been able to reconnect. I tried a cache clear and forgetting the access point and reconnecting.

Back