T568B Wall Jack Wiring

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Oubadah, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

I'm wiring up the house with CAT6 (I've never done this before). Someone told me to use 'T568B' termination. Every configuration I see on net looks different, and I'm getting confused.

The jacks have double colour coding for each wire as pictured here:

[​IMG]

I take it 'A' is for T568A, and 'B' is for T568B?

So this is how I should arrange the wires for T568B:

[​IMG]

I'd just like someone to confirm this before I wire the whole house wrong... :D

2. cymon

cymon Limp Gawd

Your wiring is correct.

Please make those pictures smaller. My monitor is at 2048x1536 and i'm only seeing half of the picture.

3. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry.

I was reducing those pictures probably as you were typing. :)

Thanks for your reply.

4. hawk82

hawk82 [H]ard|Gawd

Honestly, use either 568A or 568B, it doesn't matter, as long as it is the same on both ends. Otherwise you get a crossover connection. Most switches are Auto-MDX but it is best to simply wire it as a patch through instead for the best compatibility. From my experience, 568B seems to be more prevalent than 568A, both in new and older wiring construction. I personally wire all new cables to 568B, unless the existing plant is 568A. Don't mix the two as that can confuse people.

Also make sure you use a metal punchdown tool and not one of those crappy plastic "punchdown tools" that often times comes free with the CAT5/CAT6 keystone. Much more solid punchdown and trims your cable tail for you in one operation.

GJ wiring for a rookie. Keeping the cable twists as close to the termination is best as well as the outside jacket.