T1 Service provider

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
I need new service for my family's small business.
Currently we have 6 employees.
3 analog voice lines, 1 analog fax line.
Airband Satelite internet 2mbs down/ 128kbs up.

Need something better was considering DSL or a T1 because we are going to hosted software solution.

I was looking at Speakeasy and ATT is one better than the other?

Can we safely assume that you are currently using Satellite internet access because of location? i.e. being outside of Cable/DSL range? As for Speakeasy vs. ATT, Speakeasy will just be reselling an ATT line. The question is if they pass on the huge discount they get for being a reseller on to you when compared to going with ATT direct. Also, be aware that with a T1 you will need special hardware. Some ISP's provide it, some charge rental/lease fees.

We got satellite because when we got it we didn't need a T1 and cable/DSL was not available.

What special hardware do i need? Im sure ATT would provide it, but what do i need i might as well purchase it. We have been in this office for 20 yrs and dont plan on moving anytime soon. So its prob worth my money to just buy the equipment.

If Cable/DSL (Preferrably Cable) is available, Typically that is the more cost-effective option. But for a T1, you'll need either a Router with a T1 interface. As far as planning an advance purchase. I'd wait until you make a decision on which provider you go with as they may have differing T1 setup. One other question, are you looking to bundle your voice lines into the T1 connection?

Yea i was thinking about bundling VOIP because it will save me a lot of money.
Right now im paying a lot for 4 POTS lines with unlimited long distance.

Based on what the internet wizard says a T1 with bundled voice is going to be $150 less than i am paying now.

You could also get a channelized T1. Use 4 channels instead of the pots lines, and the other 20 for data.

What he means by channelized T1 is:

a T1 is effectively 24 x 64k channels bundled together to form a theoretical 1.544Mbps of bandwidth.
You can strip off 4 channels out the the 24 of the full T1 to use as individual voice lines. the remaining 20 channels will deliver 20 x 64kbps = 1.28Mpbs of internet bandwidth.

Make sense?

Yes. I was looking at doing a bonded T1 @ 3.0mbps with 6 Hosted VOIP Lines.

If you are spending that kinda $, why not a higher end Cable connection for 1/6th the cost?

Im paying $375/mo for Airband Satelitte internet and another $400 for POTS lines to ATT.

So if its cheaper than $800 its worth it.

$100 a phone line?

WTF

I was wrong earlier. 7 lines unlimited long distance.
My dad set this up years and years ago and never renegotiated.

Regardless we know we are overpaying for what we are getting, and are trying to get adequate service for the best $$.

Do you think a T1 with voice is enough bandwidth? If we dont need a bonded T1 thats even better. I just figured we had 2mbps down so i wasnt going to go lower and strip out some bandwidth for voice.

Last edited:
Is this at a remote location outside of DFW (but in the surrounding area)? If so, I might be able to help you out with wireless point-to-point service that is far faster and cheaper (supports VoIP too). It's my job now. :p Send me a PM/SMS if you want.

How is cable/DSL not available then? Kinda surprising. Well, you should still be able to get coverage in Richardson if you want to look into wireless service (not cell tower based) or T1(s). If you send me a PM with the address, I can check coverage and tell you what kind of costs you're looking at.

I was wrong earlier. 7 lines unlimited long distance.
My dad set this up years and years ago and never renegotiated.

Regardless we know we are overpaying for what we are getting, and are trying to get adequate service for the best $$.

Do you think a T1 with voice is enough bandwidth? If we dont need a bonded T1 thats even better. I just figured we had 2mbps down so i wasnt going to go lower and strip out some bandwidth for voice.

Actually, when it comes down to it, a T1 @ 1.3Mpbs (After overhead) will deliver a MUCH better experience than your 2Mpbs Satellite connection. Your peak download throughput might have been a touch higher, but the latency is 10% or less than that of a satellite connection. It's always the voice side of things that's the most tricky.

Last edited:
Actually, when it comes down to it, a T1 @ 1.3Mpbs (After overhead) will deliver a MUCH better experience than your 2Mpbs Satellite connection. Your peak download throughput might have been a touch higher, but the latency is 10% or less than that of a satellite connection. It's always the voice side of things that's the most tricky.

Overhead? weird I just ran a speedtest off a Cisco 2600 with T1 directly into a Juniper M20 and pulled 1.5Mb

Satellite is going to suck for any hosted applications because of latency.

If you're planning on going with a hosted VoIP solution plan on about 64Kbps per concurrent call depending on the codec used for compression.

A lot of providers will give you a adtran or something similar and just hand you off an ethernet connection if they are giving you a straight T1 a Cisco 2600 or similar should be more then enough to handle what you're doing.

If you do go with a single T1 make sure you have someone write a good QoS policy

Back