T1 line to gamers

SCSI-Terminator said:
Well I know Sprint and MCI were looking at it, so my guess is a big ass telco company.

ohh ok, i was hoping i could get my hands on one for like $80, but i guess not.

I'm sorry, but I'm not terribly convinced by your argument. "residential cablemodem is not full-duplex because it costs less, and people started to lag when more users joined my server" is all I can see there.

No, residential cable is not symmetric. There are less upload channels than there are download channels. However, the upload channels and download channels are independent, and they can be both used simultaneously without affecting each other on the lowest level, which is the definition of "full-duplex".

As has been said before, when you max out your upload your download speeds DO go down. However, this is purely an issue with how IP works, and has nothing to do with cablemodem technology. The fact that most residential cablemodem services have rather piddly amounts of upload just makes it much more easily noticable.

Good catch on my mistake though, modelm.

ne0-reloaded said:
ohh ok, i was hoping i could get my hands on one for like $80, but i guess not.

The chassy for the CRS1 is the size of a refrigerator (I know, I've seen it in person) Shipping alone would probably cost more than $80.

I debug Catalyst 6000/6500 series cards at work (Solectron, Cisco has a contract with us) Fastest stuff I've seen for it is like a 2 port OC12 module, and a 4 port 10GE (10 gig eithernet) module. Thou the prodominate is by far the 48port 1000BaseT GE. I'm not 100% on all the pricing, but I think the linecard modules go for around $2-5K apeice, plus you got to buy a chassy, powersupply, and supervisor module to make it all work. Maybe $10K minimum? So no, this stuff ain't cheep.

Yes, I realize you were being scarcastic, but I felt like bragging a bit.

SCSI-Terminator said:
The chassy for the CRS1 is the size of a refrigerator (I know, I've seen it in person) Shipping alone would probably cost more than $80.

I debug Catalyst 6000/6500 series cards at work (Solectron, Cisco has a contract with us) Fastest stuff I've seen for it is like a 2 port OC12 module, and a 4 port 10GE (10 gig eithernet) module. Thou the prodominate is by far the 48port 1000BaseT GE. I'm not 100% on all the pricing, but I think the linecard modules go for around $2-5K apeice, plus you got to buy a chassy, powersupply, and supervisor module to make it all work. Maybe $10K minimum? So no, this stuff ain't cheep.

lol as long as u knew i was joking. i gotta question for u though scsi, what training did u go through to learn how to troubleshoot cisco routers/switches? the most i know about are 25XX routers and 2924 switches (ccna), and i know it only gets more complicated as the numbers go up.

SCSI-Terminator said:

umm, those modules are going to cost a HELL of a lot more than 2-5k a peice, try 20,000 starting per module, especially with maintanance :)

for a fully loaded 6500, look for 125k easily. unless yer buying off ebay...but when yer buying in bulk its very easy to get 40-50% off ;)
ive got some of those oc12 modules, too bad none of the 10ge :(

RedLightning said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not terribly convinced by your argument. "residential cablemodem is not full-duplex because it costs less, and people started to lag when more users joined my server" is all I can see there.

No, residential cable is not symmetric. There are less upload channels than there are download channels. However, the upload channels and download channels are independent, and they can be both used simultaneously without affecting each other on the lowest level, which is the definition of "full-duplex".

As has been said before, when you max out your upload your download speeds DO go down. However, this is purely an issue with how IP works, and has nothing to do with cablemodem technology. The fact that most residential cablemodem services have rather piddly amounts of upload just makes it much more easily noticable.

Good catch on my mistake though, modelm.

you mean TCP, not IP.

there are seperate channels for upload and download, but there are many more channels allocated for download.

when you are doing a large file xfer, and the incoming data (download) is coming in, you are sending out a large amount of tcp ACKs to let the server know you received this portion of the data.

if you start uploading a file to someone at the same time, you are flooding the upstream bandwidth, and thus some of those ACKs from the file tranfer arent going to make it back in time, iknow u know this, but jsut for anyone else out there reading this

SYN ACK said:
umm, those modules are going to cost a HELL of a lot more than 2-5k a peice, try 20,000 starting per module, especially with maintanance :)

for a fully loaded 6500, look for 125k easily. unless yer buying off ebay...but when yer buying in bulk its very easy to get 40-50% off ;)
ive got some of those oc12 modules, too bad none of the 10ge :(

Since were talking about ebay... Here is a guy selling a very common linecard module, funny hes only asking $1350 for it, multiply by 2 (you did say up to 50% off) and we have $2.7K, well within the range I quoted.

But you know what, I just fix them, not sell them. When I asked how much they were worth, thats what they told me. I'm sure supervisors cost more than linecards in general, and newer stuff (like sup720's, or one of the new super linecards (like a WS-X6748-GE-TX with a local EARL)) is certanly more expensive, has their isn't much of a used market yet. (Hell we only started debugging 720's a month ago, and are just now getting the super linecards that go with it)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
im talking new with maintanance and all the fixins, not used.

but lets end this debate here, no need to hijack thread :)

Back