T1 Connection = ethernet port?

jointhedarkside

Limp Gawd
I recently moved into an apartment that offered T1 as its internet service. While in the rooms, there is an outlet that looks like this: (sorry cell phone picture)

The top four look like phone/ 56k modem plugs. The one on the bottom left is the ethernet port, and the one on the bottom right looks like a plug for the TV.

Which one of these plugs is for the T1 internet connection? Hopefully it is not the ethernet port because I am connected to that right now, and the pings for CS:Source are in the hundreds. I thought T1 was supposed to be faster than DSL. If it isnt the ethernet port, then what type of connector do I need to buy to connect it to my computer?

Thx for helping out a dummy like me.

A single T1 in an apartment complex? Your prolly not the only one trying to play online or download from free net... Better get dsl or cable and pay for it yourself...

If you were online..then I guess you had the right jack. That's not the T-1 you're plugging into, it's most likely just the network leading to the LAN side of the the router. The T-1 would interface with the WAN side of the router, or proxy, or whatever the heck sort of gateway appliance/firewall/router/who knows what the heck they're using for the building.

A T-1 is roughly a meg and a half. Not much for internet access for an apartment building with home consumer type web traffic. You generally see more like 3-5 megs for this type of use...not knowing how many units there are. I'd think a 10 meg cable connection would be more appropriate for this usage, and much less expensive.

Most likely they have a LAN setup for the Apartment complex and are providing connectivity threw a T1 they are leasing. Like it was said a full T1 dedicated to data is 1.5mbps, that is upstream as well as downstream, most cable providers give you plenty of downstream bandwidth (5-10mbps around here), but the upstream is smaller (128-512kbps depending on service level). T1 connections are commonly also bound to a specific SLA, and will have a better up-time (since it's guarantied) then a cable connection, comes at a price though.

Do a quick speed test and paste the result here.

T1 sucks compared to most modern cable and some DSL connections.

A T1 is a 1.5Mbps connection. Share that among an entire apartment building and.... well, that sucks.

Your ping times are no surprise. The only benefit to a T1 vs a cable connection is you get 1.5Mbps up as well.

kumquat said:

A T1 is a 1.5Mbps connection. Share that among an entire apartment building and.... well, that sucks.

Your ping times are no surprise. The only benefit to a T1 vs a cable connection is you get 1.5Mbps up as well.
True, the download bandwidth sucks, but besides FIOS how many people can get 1.5 upload?

kumquat said:

and a SLA in 99.9% of cases :rolleyes:

it's a business line with guaranteed uptime, talk to Comcast/Verizon about that and see what they guarantee , lol

For the "home user" types who will mostly be downloading and surfing, download is what counts. Doubt they'll be running OWA, RDC, and have e-mail servers spewing out volumes of e-mail.

I think most users would like to view snappy web pages and download files at 800K, rather than bog down sharing a meg 'n a half and downloading at 80K.

I've been hearing the SLA preaching for years..but I'll be honest with you. I have dozens and dozens of small business clients on broadband, cable and DSL, across quite a few ISPs, and a couple of states. If they're down, I'd hear about it..my phone would ring. Quite simply...I don't hear the complaint. For the past..at least several years...it's been darned good. Yeah about 6 or whatever years ago when DSL was first being deployed in my state..it was iffy. And cable too. But for the past..at least 4-5 years...I just chuckle at that arguement. And I have a few clients on T's too..so I see both sides of the coin.

zrac said:

it's a business line with guaranteed uptime, talk to Comcast/Verizon about that and see what they guarantee , lol
For a business, that can be important. Absolutely.

For a home, where you're browsing the internet, talking on AIM, and playing games? Doesn't matter one bit.

Funny thing.. I've experienced more service outage from our AT&T frame relay connection at work than I have from my cable modem at home. Only difference was that AT&T reimbursed us.

YeOldeStonecat said:
For the "home user" types who will mostly be downloading and surfing, download is what counts. Doubt they'll be running OWA, RDC, and have e-mail servers spewing out volumes of e-mail.

I think most users would like to view snappy web pages and download files at 800K, rather than bog down sharing a meg 'n a half and downloading at 80K.

I've been hearing the SLA preaching for years..but I'll be honest with you. I have dozens and dozens of small business clients on broadband, cable and DSL, across quite a few ISPs, and a couple of states. If they're down, I'd hear about it..my phone would ring. Quite simply...I don't hear the complaint. For the past..at least several years...it's been darned good. Yeah about 6 or whatever years ago when DSL was first being deployed in my state..it was iffy. And cable too. But for the past..at least 4-5 years...I just chuckle at that arguement. And I have a few clients on T's too..so I see both sides of the coin.

you can chuckle, but I have been through horror stories with non-business lines that were down for a week+ , at my current workplace everything is centralized to one location and we have sattelite locations that connect to us through our T1 (they of course have their own), imagine this one T1 going down for any extended period of time, this entire corporation is shutdown and doing nothing... not only would they be reimbursing us for the cost of T1 they would be getting sued for the damages incurred by them breaking their own agreement.

It's a safety factor that some business flat out need. Mine included so for now I swear by it.

I'm just not willing to take that risk, in your case the worst that happens is you lose your job for that one customer since I assume you're a contractor , in mine I'm on the street with no job :) lol

kumquat said:
For a business, that can be important. Absolutely.

For a home, where you're browsing the internet, talking on AIM, and playing games? Doesn't matter one bit.

Funny thing.. I've experienced more service outage from our AT&T frame relay connection at work than I have from my cable modem at home. Only difference was that AT&T reimbursed us.

that's true, but some apartment buildings are zoned for business as well as regular apartments, hence why I think that place has a T1 , otherwise they would get few cable lines for a whole lot less and separate the building by floors or whatnot.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've been hearing the SLA preaching for years..but I'll be honest with you. I have dozens and dozens of small business clients on broadband, cable and DSL, across quite a few ISPs, and a couple of states. If they're down, I'd hear about it..my phone would ring. Quite simply...I don't hear the complaint.
You expect your customers to monitor their own uptime and call you when they're down? Why wouldn't they call the provider directly? How do you know they're not?

Their are a couple apartment complexes around here that made a deal with the cable provider to have cable internet in each of the apartments, and it's just shared amongst the occupents (4 rooms in each one)

ok sorry for taking so long to get back. Well, my apartment that i rented (with 3 other guys) is next to UCLA. I'm not sure if it is a business apartment. Well, I went to speedtest.net and took the test 5 times. The numbers dont look so great to me. Have a look:

I took this test, with nothing on ( aim, steam, anything that connects to the internet ) and with none of my roommates home.

I tried cs again. I couldnt even join a server, pings ranged from 40's - 200's, though when i double clicked on the lower ping servers, they would then fluctuate to the 1000's :eek:

Does this mean i wont be able to play games online :( T.T :(

You're lucky compared to me when it comes to pings. Mine never gets any lower than 80, commonly around 130-150.

(and people wonder why I hate playing FPSs online... :p)

zrac said:
you can chuckle, but I have been through horror stories with non-business lines that were down for a week+

So have I. Verizon wouldn't listen to us for one business dsl customer because to them internet means getting to the verizon homepage for dsl users. They had some routing issues that stopped a client from getting to their webpage.

Cavtel had one of our customers down a fucking week and a half. We tried to get the dsl speed upgraded and it went to hell. Verizons techs ended up just redoing the entire setup when they were trying to figure it out. Still only getting half the speed we wanted.

With another client we just moved them to full t1's. The have 6 stores and had a mess of cable and dsl providers accross them(1 cable company, 3 dsl providers). We needed to setup a vpn which would mean for the most part getting static ips and doing some extra work to support them. Cavtels network is so fucked up with worms that the vpn routers would fail on it. USLec brought in managed t1's to each store for about 50% more a month then the service we had. Considering that we would have had to pay more for static ips and that they are now fully responsible for the vpns this was a good deal. Plus we have already had some issues. It is nice to have a tech(in this case same guy I worked with putting in the t1s) giving me a call 2 hours later asking me to meat him at the store with the issue. Everything we've asked them to do was done in a few hours. Can't complain. Plus the faster upload is nice for transfering files over the vpn. When we put in a domain server I'll be running sav and sde over it.

zrac said:

I have worked with a _LOT_ of bargain basement T1's (eg: $300-$500/month) and the sla doesn't cover jack. "Oh you were down for a day ? We'll refund you the $10 you paid for that day".

Robstar said:
I have worked with a _LOT_ of bargain basement T1's (eg: $300-$500/month) and the sla doesn't cover jack. "Oh you were down for a day ? We'll refund you the $10 you paid for that day".

And I've had it take verizon a week to come look at a DSL issue. Had comcast refuse to come to a site for 2 weeks once(by the time the tech fixed it we had them on DSL).

While SLA's are not bullet proof they work a lot better then the service you get with business dsl/cable lines. If you really need the uptime and can't be down a few hours to a day max run 2 lines from 2 different providers.

darkside,

Are those cs servers within your geographical range? Maybe do a ping test on those servers. I highly suspect you have some major packet loss involved.

Or maybe your apartment owners are packet shaping :eek:

on the speedtest.net, the download and upload speeds are in kiloBITS not kiloBYTES, so those speeds would translate to lower speeds, the highest i saw was 140 KB/sec. Though those show low pings, they dont translate well into Steam, and Counterstrikesource, which is what i really needthis for. Sigh...

edit : what does packet shaping mean

man do i love roadrunner, It's worth $30.00 a month

roadrunnerlogo.png

beep, beep

jointhedarkside said:
edit : what does packet shaping mean

Packet shaping is a thing network engineers do to limit the over-all bandwidth that one user can suck down at any one time... basically, rate-limit you. Its can be very complicated (allow web traffic 50% bandwidth, but limit FTP to 10%, etc)

I talked to the landlord guy, and found out that the apartments have 2 T1 connections that are routed through the whole apartment. Although there is a statement in the leasing contract saying that you cannot abuse the internet useage (e.g. constant downloading/torrenting and such) some people still do it, and they cant monitor who is using it and such.

So thats probably why my internet is slow. Although its a decent speed for work, videos, and general surfing, i wont be able to play my games =[.

Thx for the help everybody :)

Cable FTW, since I got docsis 1.1 in 2000 I've had 3 periods of downtime that were longer than an hour, I dunno but IMHO thats around 99%...

We'll see now that my comcast contract got bought out by roadrunner, 1st whiff of their billing and support seems to be pretty worthless...

swatbat said:
And I've had it take verizon a week to come look at a DSL issue. Had comcast refuse to come to a site for 2 weeks once(by the time the tech fixed it we had them on DSL).

While SLA's are not bullet proof they work a lot better then the service you get with business dsl/cable lines. If you really need the uptime and can't be down a few hours to a day max run 2 lines from 2 different providers.

Exactly what we do... we have a 8mb DSL line, and a 1.5mb Wireless line.... if one goes down, we use the other, and it's about 10% the cost of a T1....

QJ

Back