T or resevoir?

Ch1m3r4

Gawd
I know it's been debated before, but I'm going watercooling and am gonna rearrange and mod enough stuff that it can be all internal...even with the big rad I'm using...

(case is a lian li pc-51 or 61 or something...I don't really remember)

But, T or resevoir?

Also, on flow order, I am going to have cpu and nb block, but I think they might be too close to connect one after another without elbow or kinks

Swiftech's coolsleeves will take care of the kinking problem.

The other solution I've seen is to use a C-shaped piece cut from a PVC pipe of the right diameter. They zip tied the hose to it after filing a trough into the PVC to keep the hose from flattening. More work and expensive if you don't have PVC pipe laying around.

If you have the room, i would say go for the res. I had a T line and just moved to a res setup. The res was SO much easier to bleed than the T was. Didn't take nearly as long. And also, I think that the increased water quantity would increase your cooling capacity, but kronchev here disagrees with me... :eek: So, your call on that one

Dark Ember said:
If you have the room, i would say go for the res. I had a T line and just moved to a res setup. The res was SO much easier to bleed than the T was. Didn't take nearly as long. And also, I think that the increased water quantity would increase your cooling capacity, but kronchev here disagrees with me... :eek: So, your call on that one

Ditto, res's are (IMO) much better for bleeding, especially if you have a baffle between the in/outlet

The T is great for saving space and keeping the system light (mobile?). The increased water quantity would increase cooling capacity, but the res WILL hinder flow slightly, and the cooling capacity isn't really an issue as long as you have a quality rad, but i'm no "expert"

Dark Ember said:
And also, I think that the increased water quantity would increase your cooling capacity, but kronchev here disagrees with me... :eek: So, your call on that one

Heat transfer is not dependent on coolant volume unless you consider the effects that increased volume has on convective transfer (heat lost through the res/tubing/whatever). But most reservoirs are not large enough or don't have enough surface area to cool the water to any noticeable degree. So the volume of coolant basically only changes the time it takes to heat or cool your loop, reaching the same temperatures eventually.

I'm looking for the cheapest reservoir that performs adequate.. Any suggestions? or would I be better off buying barbs and making one on my own?

cheapest would definitely be to make it yourself. even if it's nothing more than a bottle with barbs, it's easy to make it perform decently, as it doesn't have to do that much

Make your own. It's easy as hell to do.

I bought a plastic jar from Tap Plastics and two barbs and PVC nuts to hold them in place and applied silicone sealand around the holes and voila, instant res for less than $4.

This is an older pic of what I have running in my cooling loop now (I've since topped off the coolant and removed the L-joints from the circuit. I'd read somewhere that elbow joints reduce flow, and we don't want that...)

cooling_res.jpg

reses are only good if you have a lot of extra room. otherwise a T works fine

wow agrikk thats a lot of elbows :eek:
probably got a pretty big boost after taking them out

Back