T-Mobile Spends $8 Billion to Get Signal across the Entire Country

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
T-Mobile has just made a big effort to grow its network by acquiring more than 1,500 wireless licenses that span across the United States. These mostly cover the 600 MHz spectrum and cannot immediately be used: they are currently occupied by TV broadcasters, and there isn’t even a modem that officially supports the bands, as no 600 MHz network exists. But when things fall into place in a couple of years, T-Mobile should be able to boast a lot more about their coverage.

…not all frequencies are equal. Lower-frequency signals travel much better over distance, and penetrate buildings much better. The older networks, particularly Verizon and AT&T, own much more low-band spectrum than the newer T-Mobile and Sprint, which is a huge part of why Verizon and AT&T’s cell signal has historically been better. It’s not just about which frequency you own, but how much of it you have. In this particular auction, the FCC was selling frequency in the 600MHz range (from 614-698MHz) cut up into bands. Each band has 5MHz of upload and 5MHz of download capacity, with seven total bands available.

good to see, hopefully it does not take years to get phones working on this band.

good to see, hopefully it does not take years to get phones working on this band.
From the article:
So is my signal getting way better?

Yes — eventually. Because the FCC has to move TV stations around, and the networks need time to test equipment, this process is going to take years. The first TV stations will only be moved in November 2018, so you’re looking at a two to three year delay until all this glorious new spectrum comes online.

So three plus years til spectrum goes online (this is the government after all), then the handset manufactures need to make phones with radios that will access this spectrum. They might be able to do that before launch but I doubt many will more than 6 months out depending on the cost of product cycle testing etc.

From the article:
So is my signal getting way better?

Yes — eventually. Because the FCC has to move TV stations around, and the networks need time to test equipment, this process is going to take years. The first TV stations will only be moved in November 2018, so you’re looking at a two to three year delay until all this glorious new spectrum comes online.

So three plus years til spectrum goes online (this is the government after all), then the handset manufactures need to make phones with radios that will access this spectrum. They might be able to do that before launch but I doubt many will more than 6 months out depending on the cost of product cycle testing etc.
Well, goberment + business. Business don't want to switch frequencies, for many reasons (equipment costs, recognition, to start), and they don't have to until the (gov set) deadline, so most wont. Of course they'll be preparing for the switch, but they're in no hurry.

I've had Tmobile for 10ish years. How aren't they a viable network now? -_-

$8B to finally be a viable network? Seems reasonable.

Poor Sprint.

And yet, we'll still be seeing Sprint commercials stating their quality and coverage is within one percent of the competitors *reads ultra small print* in just 30 shared markets across the country as verified by a third party.

Poor Sprint indeed!

They could become a nationwide isp overnight if they get the fiber internet connection ends ready... If they do this, and add in the equipment like an outside reciever that also connects to cellphones at their frequency that they are now, but which then converts it to 600 mhz to talk with the fiber data connection and so on.. i mean could work right? Equipment would be subsidized by internet customers too.

Been running Sprint for a few years now, haven't had any mor issues then I did on ATT and my buddies with Verizon, only once have I been somewhere in this country that my Verizon buddy had signal and I didn't. But, I have an unlimited plan, and when I was in texas on their 4G I put over 100 GB a month on for two months, never even got a text or a slow down or anything. I also pay less then they do.

The biggest reason for my switch tho, they didn't backdoor people into roaming like ATT did. On ATT I had my iphone symbol change once when I was on a longer op out in bum fuck Wisconsin. I called ATT and they are like o that's the roaming symbol, it only pops up once you've already gone one month over the limit. BTW, your bill is 220 bucks for this month. I had to fight for days because even though my roaming was off they have partner deals where I'll get bounced to other companies regardless of what my settings were. I used like 50-60 MB of data that month, ATT's roaming limit was 25 MB. Switched over to Sprint, got a better military discount, and my roaming works the way my settings are set, and if I did need to I get 250 MB of roaming a month now, 10x what I got on shitty ATT.

I don't get all the hate for Sprint?

I'm curious to know how they're going to cover the majority of the Gulf of Mexico. If they manage that, there are going to be some *very* interested oil companies.

[QUOTE="Vaulter98c, post: 1042948632, member: 183762" I don't get all the hate for Sprint?[/QUOTE]

It all depends on where you live and your own experiences. I hate them all for one reason or another. Verizon is the only company I don't have personal experience with and I refuse to use them because I want sim card based phones that can swap networks if one gets worse than others. I think I ended up with 3 different phone numbers in 4-5 years via the ATT to Cingular and back to ATT buy outs. Sprint years ago demanded I renew a 2 year contract to change area codes after moving. I don't hate T-mobile but their signal isn't great in my area and they're too expensive for what they're offering.

Still cant make an account to buy phones or accessories. You want a phone or a wifi router, just hit and to cart and fill out all your information. If you want a tracking number or a reprint of a receipt, GG.

They could become a nationwide isp overnight if they get the fiber internet connection ends ready... If they do this, and add in the equipment like an outside reciever that also connects to cellphones at their frequency that they are now, but which then converts it to 600 mhz to talk with the fiber data connection and so on.. i mean could work right? Equipment would be subsidized by internet customers too.

You don't necessarily need 600mhz to do this. If you are targeting rural areas, then yes using 600mhz might make sense. Most of the fixed wireless deployments will be on much higher frequencies due to density concerns (If it ever actually happens). You won't need the distance that 600mhz provides if you're trying to get capacity as the cell sizes are going to be small.

They did get a sizable chunk of spectrum, but if you're looking to roll out say gigabit over wireless, you need a ton of spectrum to make that happen. It's much easier to get 80mhz of spectrum in the 28ghz range than it is to get 80mhz of spectrum in the 600mhz range. In the areas where T got as much as 50mhz of spectrum, if you light up 4 x 4 on the entire swath, you might be able to get over 500mbps.

That said backhaul is always a concern on the towers. If you figure that you can get 500mbps on some of these deployments, realize that's per sector. The antennas on the towers are directional and there will be at least 3 sectors per tower, sometimes a lot more than that. Having 600mhz spectrum is mainly going to be more building penetration and trying to cover gaps with some type of coverage. It should be able to provide decent speeds at a distance. T still has a lot of mid / high band spectrum that can be used with carrier aggregation to boost the speeds when needed. Part of the reason why you didn't really see Verizon bid in this area is they already have plenty of 700mhz to get that range. They will likely work on getting more mid / high band as you can get more spectrum in those areas. In the "5G" areas you might be able to pickup up 100mhz + channels which is not possible in the < 3ghz range.

This is a pretty good article that covers the basics of
https://www.wirelessweek.com/articl...add-sectors-boost-backhaul-and-condense-cells

Been running Sprint for a few years now, haven't had any mor issues then I did on ATT and my buddies with Verizon, only once have I been somewhere in this country that my Verizon buddy had signal and I didn't. But, I have an unlimited plan, and when I was in texas on their 4G I put over 100 GB a month on for two months, never even got a text or a slow down or anything. I also pay less then they do.

The biggest reason for my switch tho, they didn't backdoor people into roaming like ATT did. On ATT I had my iphone symbol change once when I was on a longer op out in bum fuck Wisconsin. I called ATT and they are like o that's the roaming symbol, it only pops up once you've already gone one month over the limit. BTW, your bill is 220 bucks for this month. I had to fight for days because even though my roaming was off they have partner deals where I'll get bounced to other companies regardless of what my settings were. I used like 50-60 MB of data that month, ATT's roaming limit was 25 MB. Switched over to Sprint, got a better military discount, and my roaming works the way my settings are set, and if I did need to I get 250 MB of roaming a month now, 10x what I got on shitty ATT.

I don't get all the hate for Sprint?

Sprint has done a ton of really stupid junk over the decades.
Some of it is fairly malicious. Like the ad on charges like the premium data charge $10 if you want to use a phone that doesn't suck.
Some of it isn't so malicious as it is just plain awful leadership and incompetence. Examples are the Wimax bet, the Nextel merger and complete failure to consolidate that spectrum in a timely manner before they pissed everyone off and made all the good Nextel customers flee, essentially completely wasting ALL of the advantages they were supposed to get in the merger. Then there is the whole iPhone deal where they screwed up and signed a ridiculous contract to sell so many iphones they cant sell them all, so they spend all their time trying to force everyone on their network to buy iphones.
The big problem for sprint is being the last place carrier most of the time means they have to fight for the lowest priced and worst customers and often they are forced into bad contracts and last access to usefull stuff.

I have been with sprint for over 10 years and know enough about technology to follow and think about their moves and mistakes. I always stay because its the cheapest I can acceptable service. But they have pissed me off more than once. One of the things I hate the most is how they offer these promotions for new customers to come to sprint but they wont offer the same or similar deal to existing customers. Hey I have been with you for 10+ years and you don't think I am worth keeping?

While it has been easier for me to reverse sprint has charged me roaming data to Canada when I was near but not over the border.

I refuse to use them because I want sim card based phones that can swap networks if one gets worse than others.
You can get unlocked versions of the Pixel,Galaxy S7/S8 or the iPhone all will work on all the carriers (except Sprint in some cases).

Sprint has done a ton of really stupid junk over the decades.
Some of it is fairly malicious. Like the ad on charges like the premium data charge $10 if you want to use a phone that doesn't suck.
Some of it isn't so malicious as it is just plain awful leadership and incompetence. Examples are the Wimax bet, the Nextel merger and complete failure to consolidate that spectrum in a timely manner before they pissed everyone off and made all the good Nextel customers flee, essentially completely wasting ALL of the advantages they were supposed to get in the merger. Then there is the whole iPhone deal where they screwed up and signed a ridiculous contract to sell so many iphones they cant sell them all, so they spend all their time trying to force everyone on their network to buy iphones.
The big problem for sprint is being the last place carrier most of the time means they have to fight for the lowest priced and worst customers and often they are forced into bad contracts and last access to usefull stuff.

I have been with sprint for over 10 years and know enough about technology to follow and think about their moves and mistakes. I always stay because its the cheapest I can acceptable service. But they have pissed me off more than once. One of the things I hate the most is how they offer these promotions for new customers to come to sprint but they wont offer the same or similar deal to existing customers. Hey I have been with you for 10+ years and you don't think I am worth keeping?

While it has been easier for me to reverse sprint has charged me roaming data to Canada when I was near but not over the border.

I guess I just haven't been to a problem area yet. Army sends my ass all over, haven't found a huge problem area and the places on large posts with no signal usually have no signal for all the carriers. Guess I just have been doing fine with them so far.

I would go to Project Fi but with their pricing model and my data usage levels I need to have the unlimited. If they could break below $10 a gig I would switch over easily.

Back