• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

T-Mobile Sidekick II = $24.99

There has been some ill press surrounding this device.
Check out the comments following an interview with Hank Nothhaft, CEO of Danger, Inc.

there are also some slashdot discussions about the device and it's inability to play nicely.

I used to have Voicestream GSM service (and miss it)... but I don't think I'll ever go to a pay $/kb usage ever again.

Good deal for the device
none the less.
 
fore1337 said:
There has been some ill press surrounding this device.
Check out the comments following an interview with Hank Nothhaft, CEO of Danger, Inc.

there are also some slashdot discussions about the device and it's inability to play nicely.

I used to have Voicestream GSM service (and miss it)... but I don't think I'll ever go to a pay $/kb usage ever again.

Good deal for the device
none the less.

heh... no offense, but is there ANYTHING that slashdotters have ever agreed on?

slashdotters have the tendency to jump and bash anything that isn't made by Linus Trovald :)
 
The biggest problem I see is that you're stuck with T-Mobile for a year- possible the worse cell phone provider EVER!
 
Hooligan said:
heh... no offense, but is there ANYTHING that slashdotters have ever agreed on?

slashdotters have the tendency to jump and bash anything that isn't made by Linus Trovald :)

True that. Thank Gawd Slashdot doesn't have any political power or we'd be giving away free milk & cookies @ our borders and paying 60% income tax so that the stray cats in the park could have full medical coverage. ...and Farenheit 911 would be required in the classroom.

end of rant
 
I'd like to put in some 2cents about the SKII. Admittedly I'm a big fan (i even am close personal friends with someone who works at Danger), but still there's tons of undeserved negative press surrounding Danger and the HipTop/SideKick in general.

People have always been too fixated on negative things, and the pseudo-anonymity granted by the internet just makes it even harder to say something good about anything.

Yes, the original SK was flimsy. It was a first generation product built by not the best manu in the business. Was that Danger's fault? Not entirely. Take the first edition Nintendo NES system, for those of you old enough to remember it. It's loading mechanism was very flimsy and unreliable. Take notice how the spring-loaded cartridge slot was never used again in a Nintendo console. Danger realized how weak the SK's casing was and fixed it. The SKII is far more reliable and way more durable. I've seen one thrown across the room onto hard tile, and it managed to work just fine afterwards.

Ok, there's no Bluetooth. What good does it really do anyone? A headset. That's it. Wow. Guess what, it really doesn't make you look any more ridiculous without the wires.

MP3 support? Well, it would be possible if you were to increase the size of the unit, in order to add in the extra circuitry to support it and the extra battery to give it more than an hour's worth of runtime. The SKII's unique keyboard design is the tradeoff against more features like that.

Yes. T-Mobile is bad. They have terrible coverage, and crappy user support, and they are completely to blame for things like poor sync support, and poor handling of overtime charges, and not as many apps available, and poor most everything having to do with them. The solution to this is to both talk to T-Mobile and ask for better treatment, and to call Verizon or Sprint, or whoever you have and tell them you want a SideKick too. I'd wager that Danger would have no problem selling SideKicks to any provider that wanted them.

Really, people just need to realize that most every company's first product is riddled with flaws, and taking a look at how the shortcomings have been addressed in the new model is the best way to judge how they'll manage to compete.

Ok, enough my rant, too. I just wanted people to look at the SideKick for what it is: a great product, and this is a smoking deal, the best one offered yet to new customers.
 
Captal said:
The biggest problem I see is that you're stuck with T-Mobile for a year- possible the worse cell phone provider EVER!
That doesn't say much for Cingular since T-Mobile uses their bandwidth for most of the major markets........
 
Can i get this if im already a Tmobile user? Does it just lock me into one more year?
 
I have the original color sidekick......and I love it. Yes it is a little big for a cellphone BUT I get a full QWERTY keyboard that I can actually thumb type on decently. The web browsing in my area is much faster than I expected(I expected dialup but I have tried it next to a dialup connection and it is much faster). People complain about T-Mobile service but this is definately a YMMV situation since I have not had any problems with it in my area. When I am with someone if I don't have service 9/10 they don't either and there are a lot of times I have it and they don't or I am able to get calls on weak signals that they(these are verizon folks) can't(like inside our ancient stone building at the university I work at) even though they 'have' a signal. I like having my info backed up on the backend servers for when my sidekick had a small fishing accident(oops!). The screen is actually a useable size for me when browsing the web. The SSH terminal program is a nice feature. I really like the interface.

It is a little unusual to use as a phone but I use the ear piece that is provided and leave it in my pocket and it works great. Battery life blows.......but it is still better than the Ericson I had with Cingular.

In general I love it. I know it isn't for everyone....hell if you aren't going to do a lot and I mean A LOT of web browsing on it I would say DON'T get one. But if like me you are going to browse a lot......then get one.

I am hoping to get a SKII soon.
 
I got on this deal a while back and just got my SKII yesterday and i love it. I was with verizon and called to transferred my number and woke up and it was done. Very awesome no down time transferring my number. The best thing about this unit is having AIM, text messages, internet (kinda slow but what do you expect), and email on the go. Very awesome way to stay connected. You have 4 ways to get connected to someone.
 
To the SK users.
If you're running SSH, couldn't you SSH into a linux box @ home then fire up a terminal based IRC client?

Any word on amount of data usage? Doesn't T-Mobile charge an arm and a leg for data usage? (if you've got unlimited sprint 'vision' you've got unilimited data usage via phone, no PCMCIA modem required)


Is anyone using a USB datalink umbilical from the phone to a notebook and use the SK1/SK2 as a modem? here's one for the SideKick 1. I just emailed boxwave about a minisync for the SK2. :)
 
fore1337 said:
Any word on amount of data usage? Doesn't T-Mobile charge an arm and a leg for data usage? (if you've got unlimited sprint 'vision' you've got unilimited data usage via phone, no PCMCIA modem required)


I get unlimited data for 19.99 a month.
 
Spectre said:
I get unlimited data for 19.99 a month.


Is that in addition to your plan? hypothetical
eg. $60 plan, plus $20 for unlimited data = $80 total

Do you have the capability to Data Link to the PC, and used your phone as a modem?

Thx!
 
fore1337 said:
Is that in addition to your plan? hypothetical
eg. $60 plan, plus $20 for unlimited data = $80 total



Thx!

My total plan is 59.99 a month. It includes 800 anytime minutes, free nights, weekends, roaming etc. with my data included.

The current offer isn't so sweet it is the same except.......69.99 with only 600 minutes. I have had my plan for a little more than a year now.

Do you have the capability to Data Link to the PC, and used your phone as a modem?

I actually don't know. I have never had a reason to try.
 
Back
Top