• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

T-Mobile Plan

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
On T-Mobiles bring your own phone plan for $50 a month it doesn't say anything about how many minutes your plan has. I get 2GB of data and unlimited messaging but what about voice minutes? I am getting a new Nexus 4 and I live in the Bay Area Ca and I've heard that T-Mobile is the way to go with this phone. That the speed is almost like LTE where as At&t speed is crap if its not LTE...
 
T-Mobile's Pre-paid $50/60/70 plans all offer unlimited talk and texting. The difference comes down to the data.

For my Nexus 4, I went with the pre-paid $30/month, 100 mins talk + 5GB 4G HSPA+ with Unlimited Text available online only at t-mobile.com or through Walmart for new customers. Additional minutes are 10 cents. The Nexus 4 does not have LTE out of the box which made the $30/month plan ideal. Even if you spoke for an additional 200 mins over the original 100 mins where the cost came to $50, the data 5GB vs 500MB would still make it worth it.
 
Tmobile's new plans suck. If you dont talk much or are on wifi alot, the 30$ plan mentioned above with a free voip plan using google voice would be your best bet.
 
Tmobile's new plans suck. If you dont talk much or are on wifi alot, the 30$ plan mentioned above with a free voip plan using google voice would be your best bet.

VOIP is great if you're always in an area with consistent 4G coverage. For T-Mobile, there aren't many areas like this. The areas where they have 4G are often urban and congested, thus negating their usefulness during peak hours. Less urban areas usually have spotty 3G/4G with Edge coverage as the dominant offering.

That $30 plan is an awesome plan for someone who wants to use their phone essentially as an internet device with limited minutes on the network. But for people who still use their phone predominantly as a phone, T-Mobile currently offers the best plans (so long as their coverage is suitable for you).

I've been on them for nearly 3 months now. Outside of one room in my house, their call quality has been excellent and I have not dropped a call yet. Data has been sporadic, but that is mostly due to be constantly going over 500mb and being throttled (I'm cheap), and the fact that I have a phone that supports neither LTE, nor AWS HSPA+, so I don't get their full 3G/4G network.
 
im on tmobile and the coverage is spotty at best good luck with them

also i have their unlimited plan i think i am going to downsize as i hardly ever call anyone
 
Do you get nights and weekends unlimited minutes or is it 100 minutes and that's it? because if that is the case I play BF3 on Friday nights with a buddy and we talk while playing and I would use 100 minutes in like 2 hours or so...
 
It's just 100 minutes, and why would you talk to a buddy while playing Bf3 when you have things like skype and TS... you could still do that if you have a nice strong wifi connection, use google voice + groove IP lite and talk all you want for free over wifi.
 
For the $30 plan, yes, just 100 minutes, no nights and weekends. You can buy overage minutes though for 10 cents a minute, but for your use case get the $50 plan.
 
because if that is the case I play BF3 on Friday nights with a buddy and we talk while playing and I would use 100 minutes in like 2 hours or so...

I'm sorry, but this reminded me of a line in Red vs. Blue. "16 days!? That's almost 2 weeks!"
 
I'm sorry, but this reminded me of a line in Red vs. Blue. "16 days!? That's almost 2 weeks!"
:)

---

I might be wrong but T-Mobile's "WiFi Calling" feature A) still counts against your minutes B) is not supported with the Nexus 4.
 
Wifi calling counts against your minutes that's terrible
 
T-Mobile's Pre-paid $50/60/70 plans all offer unlimited talk and texting. The difference comes down to the data.

For my Nexus 4, I went with the pre-paid $30/month, 100 mins talk + 5GB 4G HSPA+ with Unlimited Text available online only at t-mobile.com or through Walmart for new customers. Additional minutes are 10 cents. The Nexus 4 does not have LTE out of the box which made the $30/month plan ideal. Even if you spoke for an additional 200 mins over the original 100 mins where the cost came to $50, the data 5GB vs 500MB would still make it worth it.

Would just like to point out that the Nexus 4 actually does have LTE radio. You would have to downgrade the modem and do some custom modification to your OS to get it to work. It's a bit troublesome to get it to work, but the hardware is there. For some reason the newer modems disable it.
 
Groove ip sucks ass, on my 30mbps wifi at home it still lags and stutters. I don't recommend that to anyone now, there was a different app I used after groove that worked really well. Ill have to dig around and find it since I don't use it anymore thanks to unlimited minutes
 
Groove ip sucks ass, on my 30mbps wifi at home it still lags and stutters. I don't recommend that to anyone now, there was a different app I used after groove that worked really well. Ill have to dig around and find it since I don't use it anymore thanks to unlimited minutes

I used GrooveIP and and Talkatone a bunch in recent times I've found Talkatone has been consistently better for me. So Google Voice + Talkatone is another option. Neither VOIP is even close to as good as just regular cell plan voice though. I moved to the new uncarrier plans for my wife and I now so I don't bother with it anymore either. but in a pinch, or areas where I might not have coverage but can get on wifi, its a nice backup solution to makes calls.
 
Would just like to point out that the Nexus 4 actually does have LTE radio. You would have to downgrade the modem and do some custom modification to your OS to get it to work. It's a bit troublesome to get it to work, but the hardware is there. For some reason the newer modems disable it.

You need three things; radio, antenna, and amplifier. The Nexus 4 lacks an LTE compatible Amplifier. Getting LTE to work is a hack that is very limited compared to true LTE support.
 
I used GrooveIP and and Talkatone a bunch in recent times I've found Talkatone has been consistently better for me. So Google Voice + Talkatone is another option. Neither VOIP is even close to as good as just regular cell plan voice though. I moved to the new uncarrier plans for my wife and I now so I don't bother with it anymore either. but in a pinch, or areas where I might not have coverage but can get on wifi, its a nice backup solution to makes calls.

yeah that's my fear
 
:)

---

I might be wrong but T-Mobile's "WiFi Calling" feature A) still counts against your minutes B) is not supported with the Nexus 4.
Wrong. This is false. but on the 30$ plan, it does not include wifi calling
 
The plans suck because they don't match your personal use case? Cool story bro.
I have T-Mobile.:rolleyes: 2 lines with 1500 mins, 2GB 4G data, unlimited texts for about 75$ after taxes, fees, etc... There new carrier plans are forcing unlimited mins and thus charging more $ for the same plan on there old contract plans
 
Everything I've ever seen shows that wifi calling counts against your minutes whether you are prepaid or postpaid. The fifi router is a bridge, nothing more. It's still connecting you to a tower, just through a middle man. You're still using their network, just using your network to reach theirs in an area of lesser coverage.

I'm on T-Mobile postpaid, and all of the literature they've hit us with on wifi calling has had the fine print that it counts against your minutes.
 
I've been considering moving over to T-Mobile from AT&T with my 5 lines, I'm just concerned about the spotty 4G. I might pick a sim for a month and test them all out to see how the data holds up.
 
A heads up for anyone on the T-Mobile prepaid plans (like the $30 plan). If you decide to move over to the new post paid plans you cannot port your number. I used to be on Verizon a LONG time with the same number. When I finally decided to dump them for the T-Mobile $30 plan I ported my Verizon number over, for both my wife and I, so we could keep our long time numbers. Once these new plans came out I realized it was a better fit for us as I went to T-Mobile to setup the new plans and......they said no way no how on porting the numbers to a post paid plan. :-/

I of course said..."ok I'll do it myself." And promptly ported my number OUT to google voice then forwarded it back to my 'new' T-Mobile post paid number. Anyhow...this is just FYI. If you are already a google voice user then you may ignore this as it won't apply.
 
You need three things; radio, antenna, and amplifier. The Nexus 4 lacks an LTE compatible Amplifier. Getting LTE to work is a hack that is very limited compared to true LTE support.

Having had a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile that I enabled LTE on, no you don't need anything more than to downgrade the radio. It worked as well as any of the other three phones I've used on T-Mobile (HTC One and S4). The phone was never FCC approved for LTE so they disabled it in subsequent radio updates. A shame, because I would have stayed with the phone if it had true LTE support.
 
Confusing. According to this thread the $30 pre-paid plan does support WiFi calling but it still counts against your minutes.

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/40067

Could it be that you're on a post-paid plan and that is why WiFi calling is 'free'?
Yea you are probably right. if that 30$ plan had free wi-fi calling that did not count against your mins, I would still be using it.
 
Having had a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile that I enabled LTE on, no you don't need anything more than to downgrade the radio. It worked as well as any of the other three phones I've used on T-Mobile (HTC One and S4). The phone was never FCC approved for LTE so they disabled it in subsequent radio updates. A shame, because I would have stayed with the phone if it had true LTE support.

Seems that the device has the PAs needed for LTE Bands 1, 2, and 4. This was not noted in the original teardown. I apologize for my misinformation.
 
I am with T-Mobile though i got stuck with a Hybrid plan after the conversion they did.
I am still locked in an old Simple Family plan that has been modified by my operator.

3 Phones Unlimited Voice/Text with 1 Phone 2GB Data fast unlimited slow, 2 Phones 500MB Unlimited
Price $93.49 Before taxes after taxes and fees we at about $108 ish

Thats about $37 each phone unlimited everything =) I kinda of like it.
 
T-mobile has 2 different $50 plans, pre and "post" paid. The Post-paid have unlimited talk and text, but 500 MB of fast internet (think they drop to 2g after that, unlimited).
 
I am with T-Mobile though i got stuck with a Hybrid plan after the conversion they did.
I am still locked in an old Simple Family plan that has been modified by my operator.

3 Phones Unlimited Voice/Text with 1 Phone 2GB Data fast unlimited slow, 2 Phones 500MB Unlimited
Price $93.49 Before taxes after taxes and fees we at about $108 ish

Thats about $37 each phone unlimited everything =) I kinda of like it.
thats not bad at all. There old plans were better price wise. Gonna hang onto my plan. I just wish I would have grabbed the 10$ upgrade for true unlimited data before that option went away :(
 
Coverage in Houston and Austin is pretty good, but outside those places it can get iffy.

The amount of money I save with T-mobile compared to other carriers though isn't so bad if I only spend a few days out of the year out in the boonies.

$100 gets a family of four unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 500 MB of high speed data. It's technically unlimited data, but after the 500 MB of high speed data it throttles down to edge speed I believe.

Nexus 4 is by far the best bang for buck phone you can use with T-mobile!
 
Coverage in Houston and Austin is pretty good, but outside those places it can get iffy.

The amount of money I save with T-mobile compared to other carriers though isn't so bad if I only spend a few days out of the year out in the boonies.

$100 gets a family of four unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 500 MB of high speed data. It's technically unlimited data, but after the 500 MB of high speed data it throttles down to edge speed I believe.

Nexus 4 is by far the best bang for buck phone you can use with T-mobile!

Totally agree about the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile. If you are able to get the $30 per month plan w/ unlimited data and text w/ 100 mins of voice ( was able to get one thru Walmart a while back) you are golden. Just use Viber App for calling.
 
Back
Top