Sytem idle prcess using 98 cpu?

It actually is normal for the system idle process to show high usage. It is basically the inverse of CPU usage, so the higher the idle process, the lower the actual cpu usage.

I hate to say this to someone who has been here as long as you, ex, but there is a 10 line limit for sigs. :)

jpmkm - Oops, is that better? Edited it a bit.

And yes, it means your system is 98% unoccupied.

yep. just thought I'd let you know before the mods got to you. :p

I was just worried bcuz i put the thermal tape on sloppy :eek:

Is there any processes here that long wrong? Ty
untitled.jpg

That's a 64-bit OS right? Cause the * are processes that are 32-bit? Well, the System Idle Process basically shows how much processor is FREE, not what is in use. So when the "Idle" process is "using" 99%, it means the processor is doing nothing. Confusing, but it's M$!

Hupo said:
The only things wrong with that image are that I don't see the Folding at Home processes :p

As previously said, the System Idle Process just shows what percent of the CPU is NOT in use. It's nothing to worry about. If you open up a program or something, that program will use CPU cycles, and the System Idle Process will go down depending on how many cycles are needed for the program you just opened.

But that screen shot shows 4% CPU usage at the bottom, but only 2% is shown in the processes... if it were 4% it should show 96% for System Idle Process.. dunno why

(if you are interested in folding though - http://folding.stanford.edu or check out the Distributed Computing section of these forums ;))

Excavator said:
jpmkm - Oops, is that better? Edited it a bit.

And yes, it means your system is 98% unoccupied.
Oh thanks alot!!!!!! I've always wondered about this too! this clarifies things better now :)

MaXimus666 said:
Oh thanks alot!!!!!! I've always wondered about this too! this clarifies things better now :)
And in 10 seconds of total time, you could have googled "System Idle Process" and had your answer. One would think having the name of "Idle" it would have been easy to figure out. Oh, Microsoft, and your silly wordplay!

ChingChang said:
The only things wrong with that image are that I don't see the Folding at Home processes :p

As previously said, the System Idle Process just shows what percent of the CPU is NOT in use. It's nothing to worry about. If you open up a program or something, that program will use CPU cycles, and the System Idle Process will go down depending on how many cycles are needed for the program you just opened.

But that screen shot shows 4% CPU usage at the bottom, but only 2% is shown in the processes... if it were 4% it should show 96% for System Idle Process.. dunno why

(if you are interested in folding though - http://folding.stanford.edu or check out the Distributed Computing section of these forums ;))
WTF kind of site is that

djnes said:
And in 10 seconds of total time, you could have googled "System Idle Process" and had your answer. One would think having the name of "Idle" it would have been easy to figure out. Oh, Microsoft, and your silly wordplay!
Jerk

jpmkm said:
I must be missing something... I get the folding homepage. What was I supposed to see?

Meaning he isnt using any cpu power and to start folding to do something good with it

jonw757 said:
Meaning he isnt using any cpu power and to start folding to do something good with it
I understand that; I think you've missed what I was trying to say. Hupo sounds like he is getting something other than the folding homepage.

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved

thats what i got lol

Hupo said:
why am i getting so much svchost for ??
Because a number of windows services use the svchost executable with various switches.
For example the Network Connections services - C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Back