systems center operations manager

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
So Microsoft is including lots of networking monitoring in the new 2012 version of systems center operations manager. Has any one played with the Beta or RC in depth?

I am wondering if the level of reporting and information inside OpsManager is sufficient that it might be a viable replacement for SolarWinds Orion?

We have Orion right now but we don't use a lot of it's advanced features. It is rather costly to maintain every year and due to our licensing we can get Ops Manager free.

Can Ops Manager also monitor servers and file systems on those servers? Memory usage over time, file system free space over time, etc?

How is the reporting? Can it do nice graphs that I can give to management?

Also interested in 2012 if anyone has some hands on experience.

We run ipMonitor now but can get Ops MGR pretty cheap.

I use 2007 at work and it can already do everything you were looking for, on windows servers at least. It has plenty of performance monitors you can setup and view graphs for. The visio/sharepoint integration is nice and allows you to make very custom live dashboards. It is kinda hard to learn and setup/customize though. Ive spent quite a few hours on it at work and can easily spent a few more weeks on it if i had time.

My biggest complaint about Orion is the upkeep. Our guys are always doing stupid shit with it. I think the biggest problem is they dont bother doing things right the first time in setting it up. Last I checked they had all the systems built on VMs....on the same physical box. The only reason we still have it is due to the reporting and graphs the managers like.

Historical graphing is very important to us.
@Biznatch, how are the graphs for historical data. Can it print out nice pretty things for management to look at.

Back