System won't post after mild oc

QES

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been running this build for about a year and a half now, the rig in sig. When I first built it, I had the CPU overclocked for the first 6 months or so. I was able do 4.3 24/7 stable, don't quite remember all the settings I had used. I wasn't gaming much then so I set everything to default, but now I've been playing an MMO lately and sometimes the performance hasn't been consistent, seemed like it could benefit from OC'ing the CPU again. I followed the quick overclock guide here. I wasnt looking for a max overclock again, so I used that as a base guideline for the voltages and dialed it down a bit. I was shooting for 4.2. 42x multi at 1.28 vcore/1.2 cpu cache/2.0 vrin.

I had no issues booting up, then ran my most intensive games I've currently got installed. (crysis 3/heaven benchmark) for about 45 mins. All was good, so I ended up playing the MMO for a few hours, it had smoothed out and the performance gripes I had pretty much gone. I stopped for about 45 mins to do some shoveling, came back and couldn't wake it up from sleep. Did a hard shutdown and now when I try to boot up, nothing appears on the monitor.

I tried pulling the cmos battery out and clearing it with the jumpers. Nothing different. Sometimes there is a red light on the cpu_led from the motherboard, I checked the seating of the cooler and everything seems tight still.When I last tried booting before this post, it restarted itself after 10-15 secs and sounds like it boots up fully. Theres no red cpu_led light on, got a green activity light on the bottom, but still nothing shows up on screen. My keyboard doesnt get powered up, but the mouse will, both plugged in the back ports. Video card lights look normal, same with the cpu cooler.

I'm kinda at a loss of what I should be troubleshooting first, I have an htpc here that I can swap parts around if I have to for testing. But would prefer to know if theres some other options I can try before I start tearing both builds down

Kind of sounds like you may have lost the PSU.

If you have a meter, take a look at the 12v & 5v lines on an old Molex 4 pin plug.
That's the easiest way to check them without shorting anything.

If they look normal, try swapping the video card, that's an easy test.

Hopefully you'll find it with those steps, let us know.

I don't have a meter here to test my psu, I'll have to grab one tomorrow.

I did remove the video card though, it will do a boot loop every 30 secs or so now instead of just staying on, just the cpu led light coming on. I attached the monitor to the motherboard since I had forgotten haswell has built in gpu, still not get anything to come up on screen though.

I don't have a meter here to test my psu, I'll have to grab one tomorrow.

I did remove the video card though, it will do a boot loop every 30 secs or so now instead of just staying on, just the cpu led light coming on. I attached the monitor to the motherboard since I had forgotten haswell has built in gpu, still not get anything to come up on screen though.

If it IS the PSU, removing the video card may have reduced the power draw on your system to a point where it is now able to somewhat power on.

If it IS the PSU, removing the video card may have reduced the power draw on your system to a point where it is now able to somewhat power on.

Well with the video card in its able to stay powered up and running constantly without restarting. but nothing up on the monitor, without the video card it is doing a constant restart every 20 secs.

I just test the main 24 pin connector on the PSU, everything is outputting what it should. So guess thats fine. So I guess thats going to leave just the cpu or motherboard then.

Well with the video card in its able to stay powered up and running constantly without restarting. but nothing up on the monitor, without the video card it is doing a constant restart every 20 secs.

I just test the main 24 pin connector on the PSU, everything is outputting what it should. So guess thats fine. So I guess thats going to leave just the cpu or motherboard then.

Voltages will tell you nothing without load testing the PSU, which I assume you don't have the equipment for,

This strongly looks like PSU.

This strongly looks like PSU.

Well between the 3, I would hope its the PSU :D Would be less hassle. No I do not have any resistors to try load testing it. I did not take the psu completely out of the case to test it, its modular except for the main line so I just disconnected everything else from it so I didnt have to undo my wiring, I don't think the fan was turning on when I was shorting it. I tried a few different pins/hair clips. couldn't find paperclips so I was thinking maybe I was shorting it wrong but I eventually tried checking voltage, not sure if that could be indicative of anything.

I think sometime today I will take out the CPU and toss it into the HTPC. At least can eliminate that then. If thats good, I guess I'll have to pull the PSU from the other machine and see what happens. It's only a 430w so couldn't really use it as a replacement if that is the case.

It could be anything.

Try the video card in a known good system to make sure it's still working. Then the RAM.
Put in a known good PSU into the system

Don't try a suspect PSU in a known good system or known good parts in a system with a suspect PSU just in case it's frying things; you don't want to have two systems down.

Okay so I finally had some time to do some more testing. I put in a different working PSU, still behaved the same way. So I tried each stick of RAM individually, then pulled my RAM from the other comp and tried it. All gave the same results. The CPU_LED light comes on and the DRAM_LED also, sometimes the CPU light will stay on, if I use the direct key on the motherboard sometimes it seems like it boots into the BIOS and it appears to be running normal, no warning lights on. However I still can't get any signal to either of my monitors. I have 1 hooked up via the HDMI and 1 via the DVI.

So that should just leave it between the CPU/Mobo correct? Since I can't get any video signal from the connections on the Mobo it is leading me to believe that may be the culprit. I suppose the CPU still could but I'm just guessing from my limited knowledge.

Should I take the CPU and throw it into my known good mobo/ram/psu or take the other cpu and try it in the motherboard in my main system? I'm assuming the former choice would be better.

Okay so I finally had some time to do some more testing. I put in a different working PSU, still behaved the same way. So I tried each stick of RAM individually, then pulled my RAM from the other comp and tried it. All gave the same results. The CPU_LED light comes on and the DRAM_LED also, sometimes the CPU light will stay on, if I use the direct key on the motherboard sometimes it seems like it boots into the BIOS and it appears to be running normal, no warning lights on. However I still can't get any signal to either of my monitors. I have 1 hooked up via the HDMI and 1 via the DVI.

So that should just leave it between the CPU/Mobo correct? Since I can't get any video signal from the connections on the Mobo it is leading me to believe that may be the culprit. I suppose the CPU still could but I'm just guessing from my limited knowledge.

Should I take the CPU and throw it into my known good mobo/ram/psu or take the other cpu and try it in the motherboard in my main system? I'm assuming the former choice would be better.

It's HIGHLY unlikely the CPU is blown. Despite what you may think, they're quite robust. I would suspect motherboard at this point, but don't let that stop you from putting that CPU in a known good system and see what happens.

I just swapped the CPU's. My i5 4670K wouldn't boot in my good system. I put the i3 from my htpc into my main and the CPU_LED light came on again, with nothing coming up on the monitor. I put the i3 back into the htpc and my 2 sticks of RAM from the main comp and it booted up fine. So it appears both of them are shot.

I wonder which one caused the other to fail. Doesn't really make sense to me since it wasnt really stressing the system. The motherboard is Asus and I hope the RMA isnt a pain... A few years ago I tried getting a 4870 replaced but they sent it back a few times saying nothing was wrong. See a lot of bad CS stories with them. I've never dealt with Intel though, how does their RMA compare generally? I'm assuming its going to be 3-6 weeks now without my main system..

Back