• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System won't play games, any help?

wishbone

Weaksauce
Joined
May 16, 2001
Messages
102
My secondary system is no longer playing any games and I can't think what could be causing the problem. It will start games but about a minute in, will fail to blue screen or illegal operation errors. The system used to work, but stopped one day when I tried to play Age of Mythology with a friend over the network, he was able to play single player, so I thought it was a network issue at the time. The problem has gotten worse since then, now no 3D games will work. It will run the car chase demo in 3dmark2001 SE but crashes when trying to run Dragothic. Works fine within windows, DVD playback and for Reader rabbit type games my son plays. Looking for any ideas

System Specs:
Win98SE (fresh install with all critical updates, Directx 9.0c)
EPOX 8KTA3+ (KT133A)
Western Digital 30Gb
512 MB PC133 (Cas2)
PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB
onboard sound
generic PCI NIC

I have swapped ram, reinstalled windows and will be swapping the video card tonight, any other ideas? Any good programs to test the CPU or video card? Thanks in advance...
 
Your not overclocking or anything are you?
Also Windows 98 SE, I've always had stability problems. The same went with Windows ME. I don't have a resolution exactly, but for me Windows 2000 and up has only been the best reliability. Everything else below that I would have occassional problems and crashes.
 
I'm not overclocking anything, I put in a radeon 9600xt from my primary system and I'm getting the same types of problems. It seems like it fails when it transitions into a game; changing settings on the desktop works fine, browsing and everything else seems fine, it only affects games (it seems).

When I took out the Ti4200 I switched to a standard VGA adapter, rebooted, uninstalled the nvidia software from control panel and rebooted. Then I shutdown, installed the 9600xt and started it back up, installed the ATI software and rebooted. When I try to run battlefield or 3dmark2001se it goes to a blank screen. I have let it sit for 10 minutes with no change.

I also ran a diagnostic called Hot CPU Tester,. The PC completed the tests without error.

I'm at a loss...
 
I would try a different driver version. I have issues with my 2ndary computer and the 66.93 drivers. I cannot do a dxdiag and have the dx7 tests pass. I was unable to play any 3dgames until I uninstalled the 66.93's and put on the 61.77's back on there.

The hardware is : Asus a7a266, 512 crucial pc1600 cas2 ddr (woot woot), and a Leadtech Ti4600.

After the older drivers, I am now able to play eq2 again on that box.
 
Can you change the setting for AGP? My board wasn't stable at AGP 8x, but it is stable at AGP 4x...maybe the bios or drivers will let you change it.

Lyquist
 
Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up flashing the motherboard BIOS while the 9600xt was in there and then everything worked fine. I put the Ti4200 back in the system and it was having the same old problems so I replaced the Ti4200 with a 9550se. It's not a great card, but it's a step up from a broken anything and it was cheap ($64 out the door)

Thanks again...
 
Bad video memory I bet or your agp apature...make sure to check your bios.
All you have to do is set down and write down everything you remember right before the event happened and you can narrow it down that way.
 
Check the obvious first: the cooling fan on the videocard. They are prone to failure after awhile and are easy to replace.
 
ThomasE66 said:
Check the obvious first: the cooling fan on the videocard. They are prone to failure after awhile and are easy to replace.
I just woke up hehe always the odvious first.
:p
 
Back
Top