System won't boot after mobo swap..

I just switched to mobo's (amd -> intel) and processors, and I can no longer boot - the system restarts (or sometimes I see a milisecond of a blue screen before restart) after loading Windows 7 screen...

The system said to do startup recovery, which didn't work - it said it can't automatically finish. I looked up the problem online, and people suggested a few things - fixmbr, and bootrec /rebuildbcd, and diskpart active. None of these worked, and the last thing I did was the bootrec /rebuildbcd thing (which I thought would work because it originally couldn't find my windows partition but I replaced the bcd entirely and it finally found it).

After doing that command, my system still doesn't startup, but now it goes to the safe mode options screen rather than going to startup repair screen. So, now I can't access a command prompt...

What do I do????

Can you get to safe mode?

If not I believe you'll need to reinstall or put the old mobo back. 2 different chipsets/CPU's & windows is looking for the installed version.

you need to swap back boot up and run the sysprep command to return the install to a driverless uninitialized state.

or you can just reinstall a clean install.

it is a security drm of windows 7 you will also need to re activate

When i did it it took about 30 min and i was going from amd nvidia chipset to amd amd chipset.

There are very few instances when swapping motherboards without reinstalling the OS is acceptable, let alone going from Intel to AMD without reinstalling.

Interesting - switching to IDE got it to boot but I have no mouse or keyboard control... Thoughts?

There are very few instances when swapping motherboards without reinstalling the OS is acceptable, let alone going from Intel to AMD without reinstalling.

thats what i am saying. there is a bunch of people on this forum that swear they can do it by properly removing the chipset drivers.

shenanigans. clean install with new mobo

This can be done, it is just difficult because there are many things that can fail. I've tried hardware independent restore with acronis, paragon, terabyte, shadow protect, and macrium. Sometimes many will work. Last time only macrium worked. And those are the civilized ways -- imagine how bad your success rate would be trying random forum advice or googling.

That this guy got to desktop just putting his data controller back the way it was before is a nice miracle. Getting USB working from there is easy.

You don't need a clean windows install with a new motherboard unless you can't figure out how to make the old install work. It is difficult but doable (usually)

thats what i am saying. there is a bunch of people on this forum that swear they can do it by properly removing the chipset drivers.

shenanigans. clean install with new mobo

Meh. I've never had to use sysprep. From my 1055T->i7-950->e3-1230, same Win7 x64 install...only preparation was removing *all* motherboard softwares/drivers before each swap....OTOH if things like motherboard utilities of any sort are still in the OS, it'll brick the swap until they're removed. IME.

YMMV greatly, of course.

Meh. I've never had to use sysprep. From my 1055T->i7-950->e3-1230, same Win7 x64 install...only preparation was removing *all* motherboard softwares/drivers before each swap....OTOH if things like motherboard utilities of any sort are still in the OS, it'll brick the swap until they're removed. IME.

YMMV greatly, of course.

How did you install the motherboard-related software and drivers?

This can be done, it is just difficult because there are many things that can fail. I've tried hardware independent restore with acronis, paragon, terabyte, shadow protect, and macrium. Sometimes many will work. Last time only macrium worked. And those are the civilized ways -- imagine how bad your success rate would be trying random forum advice or googling.

That this guy got to desktop just putting his data controller back the way it was before is a nice miracle. Getting USB working from there is easy.

You don't need a clean windows install with a new motherboard unless you can't figure out how to make the old install work. It is difficult but doable (usually)

The ahci issue is common when going from an older board to a newer one since it seems like all the newer ones default to ahci enabled. Windows will blue screen if it was installed in IDE mode and switched to ahci before enabling ahci in windows first.
We've done about a dozen mobo/CPU swaps with windows 7, and everyone of them was able to boot up, find the new hardware, reboot and work perfectly fine afterwards.
I ran into the ahci issue when I went to one of my i7 setups.

I'm currently running an install from August of 2009 on my main rig and have done 4 mobo/CPU swaps over the past 3 years.

ill say this again I did this exact situation 3 times SYSPREP boot off the old board and run it when it is done hook the drive back up in new pc and let the last step of windows install run again when it is done you will have all your old stuff still installed and it will be done.

How did you install the motherboard-related software and drivers?

IIRC, in each case by MSI installers d/l from the motherboard vendor website. Uninstall by add/remove programs/features.

Back