System will only power for a split second...

alphaoenz

n00b
I'm building a computer with old parts I had laying around and it gets power for a split second (the fans spin a few revolutions) but then it dies. The processor I'm using is a tbird 950mhz and I noticed one of the corners on the core is chipped. I'm just wondering if this would most certainly be the culprit before I go ahead and buy a new one. The mobo is a KT7-Raid and the ram is new Kingston. Thanks in advance.

are you certain nothing is shorting out? try booting up the computer with the motherboard on an antistatic bag or the foam that comes in a motherboard box. wood works too :p

Before you buy a new core, make sure nothing is shorting out the MB. Take the motherboard out of the case and try running it outside the case on some kind of static free surface.

To power on the computer outside the case, just short the pwr switch pins(paper clip or a spare jumper will do) on the mb.

sounds like you have a short. I would reseat the mobo with smaller screws or less screw mounts

Ok so what are you guys trying to say? ;). Alright I'll try it out and post with the results. Thanks.

I can almost promise you the problem lies within your power supply unit. I just had a similar problem- what make is your psu?

Yea sounds like a PSU issue to me as well, My aunts computer is having the same problem, Turns on for like 2-3 seconds and then it shuts off....Went and picked up a new PSU, bam problem fixed :D

:eek: my first pc was a 950mhz tbird on a kt7(no raid i think) with kingston ram...I chipped the corner off it when trying to change the thermal paste before i knew how to remove the heatsink, I got frustrated and started rocking it and prying, when i got it off, little metal chips in the thermal paste. *wonders whatever happened to that old system*

take out all add in cards like a modem. Modems often cause this problem when they have been hit by a surge. Also PSU's can be to blame for it. Only one time have I seen the processors cause this problem.

Surprised no one even mentioned a thorough inspection of the mainboard components first. Remeber a lot of K7 boards die simply because they were visited by the "bad cap fairy"...

It's a simple check...should take less than 5 minutes to do...

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Check the headers from the power button of your case to the mobo. I had this problem once, and once I had everything correctly plugged back in, I got it to boot no problem.

Back